corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2014 Thread

New Poll
  <<  82    83    84    85    86    87    88  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Official F1 Season 2014 Thread
JonnyJ

User status: Offline
24th Sep 14 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just for the record i dont follow a team, i just follow Lewis. If he moved to Ferrari, i'd hope for the best for them but i only care about him winning the WDC.
JonnyJ

24th Sep 14 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
So Japan next, Hondas home GP... Wonder what McLaren will announce.

Thanks for all the fish Grandad

Going back to this, Mclaren seem to have made up their mind and if i was basing it on Jenson's body language alone in the past few races I'd say his days are numbered. Mind, they've been numbered ever since Ron told him to get a jog on
Jambo

24th Sep 14 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
Just for the record i dont follow a team, i just follow Lewis. If he moved to Ferrari, i'd hope for the best for them but i only care about him winning the WDC.

That is exactly what I do. I was originally a Senna fan, where I followed him ,not a team but when he died I needed someone to follow, and due to his stint at McLaren I felt loyal to them. So chose the young Mika Hakkinen to follow, until his replacement Kimi Raikonnen and the rest is history.

I have obviously been feeling sad about his performance this year especially after a pretty decent season last year, but ultimately felt a bit happier when I realised if he had stayed with Lotus it would have been much, MUCH worse
Steve
Premium Member

24th Sep 14 at 14:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't really GAF about the team, I'm just interested in the WDC

I'd love Lewis to go to Williams though and be successful. If I had to prefer a team it would be them, just from liking the cars as a kid
JonnyJ

24th Sep 14 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats quite a logical way of thinking, im glad you're not one of these that just likes him because hes top bantz in interviews

Mine was Hill. First race i ever watched was Adelaide in 94 and that battle between him and Schumacher captured my imagination as a young 9 year old. Followed him everywhere he went, up until his retirement in 99, which coincided with the tedious schumacher era, kept an eye on F1 but it was pretty grim viewing and British talent was at a premium. When Lewis burst onto the scene he reinvigorated my love for the sport. Its not just his skill i love, its his story. Not many get into F1 with his background.
Jambo

24th Sep 14 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But the team are integral to the WDC, mechanics working with drivers, pitstops etc...

I like Williams at the moment as a team, they seem to be on the cusp of becoming great again.
JonnyJ

24th Sep 14 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing is with Williams is they just will not be able to match the investment that the top 3 have. As F1 gets more and more technical, the costs rise and Merc, Ferrari and particularly RB can just launch money at it. The fact RB were at one point considering building their own engine tell you all you need to know about the amount of money they have to throw at it.

Thats not to say they'll never get back to the top but its becoming increasingly difficult
Jambo

24th Sep 14 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Thats quite a logical way of thinking, im glad you're not one of these that just likes him because hes top bantz in interviews

Mine was Hill. First race i ever watched was Adelaide in 94 and that battle between him and Schumacher captured my imagination as a young 9 year old. Followed him everywhere he went, up until his retirement in 99, which coincided with the tedious schumacher era, kept an eye on F1 but it was pretty grim viewing and British talent was at a premium. When Lewis burst onto the scene he reinvigorated my love for the sport. Its not just his skill i love, its his story. Not many get into F1 with his background.

I love his personality and refusal to be a corporate sponsor monkey (as much as he can anyway), he just likes the driving. Its spirit and individuality that really make these guys and set them apart from the Schumachers. I too got bored with F1 around this time not just because of the dominance, but because I never like people who are so talented that have to cheat...

I always found it strange when he was driving for McLaren as they are probably the WORST team he could be driving for with all their strict corporate appearances and bed times etc.. How the hell they dealt with him ill never know

Hamiltons story is great, and his spirit is fantastic thats what I have always liked about him. He also appears clever which sounds like a given but he can think outside the box. Much like Kimi, Seb, Nando and as we have recently witnessed Danny R
Jambo

24th Sep 14 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

JJ - I loosely work with one of the top bods at Red Bull (drink not RBR) and I know the kind of money they have so this is unsurprising. It is make believe world of platinum unicorns with diamond shoes. Absolutely mental.
JonnyJ

24th Sep 14 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fucking love Danny Ric. If Lewis retired tomorrow, I'd probably follow him, though I'd never be as emotionally invested as i am with Lewis.

Theres literally nothing to dislike about the guy and I've found myself applauding quite a lot of his moves this season. Hes got it.
Jambo

24th Sep 14 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know Kimi is likely to go soon as (I think) he is the oldest? If not him then Button but its close. I doubt he will renew his contract after 2015, nor would he be likely to find a seat then either. So I have been looking to find a replacement to follow, so far toss up between:

1. Alonso (also getting on)
2. Seb
3. Danny R
4. Hammy (Post Lauda bollocking and generally more professional mk2 LH I like)
5. The Hulk - Although doubt he will get a decent seat due to his large frame
Dom

24th Sep 14 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
....its his story. Not many get into F1 with his background.

What background is this? Being from Stevenage?
Ben G

24th Sep 14 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
....its his story. Not many get into F1 with his background.

What background is this? Being from Stevenage?

Dad working 2 jobs, council scum life etc etc.

He certainly wasn't spoon fed.
nibnob21
Premium Member

24th Sep 14 at 16:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was always a fan of Coulthard as a kid, that's what first got me into F1. I therefore loved McClaren. And I still really want them to do well, but I found when Lewis moved to Merc my support followed.

Hamilton is who I support but I love to see any British driver doing well. So for instance I was right behind Button in his Championship year. But he's just not as exciting to watch.

MX5 Project Thread
Dom

24th Sep 14 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

I know his old man worked stupidly hard to initially finance his karting but were they council estate 'scum'? As i thought they were reasonably middle-class considering his old man was working fairly high up in IT?

Saying that, Mclaren massively helped financially (reported to have spent £5m from 13 to joining) in backing Hamilton's early career and there's very few drivers that get given that sort of opportunity at such a young age.

And there's plenty of F1 drivers from non-wealthy, non-racing, broken home (etc) backgrounds.
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Sep 14 at 18:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd become a full on tifoso if Lewis went to Ferrari, and not ashamed to say it

Got a couple of years to get out of my Merc tshirts yet though, and Lewis needs to leave Merc as 3xWDC

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

24th Sep 14 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lewis suits merceds amg though.

Amg to me is a car that needs to be driven by a lunatic doing burnouts everywhere. Thats what lewis is.
JonnyJ

24th Sep 14 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

I know his old man worked stupidly hard to initially finance his karting but were they council estate 'scum'? As i thought they were reasonably middle-class considering his old man was working fairly high up in IT?

Saying that, Mclaren massively helped financially (reported to have spent £5m from 13 to joining) in backing Hamilton's early career and there's very few drivers that get given that sort of opportunity at such a young age.

And there's plenty of F1 drivers from non-wealthy, non-racing, broken home (etc) backgrounds.

Being "fairly high up in IT" doesnt make you middle class Does my head in when people think they're "middle class" because they earn a bit of coin

Hes far from the first but not many come from a council estate in Stevenage to race in F1. I love the way his dad grafted like fuck because he believed his son could make it. I love the way he had the audacity to go up to Ron Dennis and tell him he will drive for his team one day at the age of 10. You make it sound like he was privileged to get the backing from McLaren but he earned it, they dont give opportunities out like that if you're not good enough.

He might not be the first and he wont be the last but its far from the norm in F1, especially in the modern era, to come from a "normal" upbringing. He, and his dad have proved if you graft hard enough and have the belief in yourself, that anyone can make it in a sport thats known to be very aristocratic and reserved only for those who had rich mummy and daddies.
John

24th Sep 14 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't see it like that at all. For every Lewis Hamilton and his dad, how many thousands do exactly the same, at least some of them with the required talent, and don't make it?

It's just the same as the rest of life, there's a lot of hard work involved but also a lot of luck.
JonnyJ

24th Sep 14 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You make your own luck. You've got to be good to put yourself in the position to get that "luck"

If you win:

British Karting Championship x 2
STP Karting Championship
Champions of the Future Series x 2
Five Nations Karting Championship
Become the youngest ever World Karting Number One
European Karting Champion
World Karting Champion

All by the age of 15, chances are you're going to get noticed and put in a position to work your way up to an F1 drive.

If theres thousands out there doing all the above and getting nowhere I'd see your point. If theres any luck involved its a small fraction compared to the talent possessed and the graft put in.
Dom

25th Sep 14 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Being "fairly high up in IT" doesnt make you middle class Does my head in when people think they're "middle class" because they earn a bit of coin

Income is directly connected to class
So i would say they were firmly in the middle-class bracket considering his old man would have been earning a decent salary (if he was contracting then six-figures is easily achievable).

quote:
....come from a council estate in Stevenage....

Having worked in Stevenage for the last 5 years, the 'council estates' (majority are ex-council houses) around there are far from the likes of Moss Side They're tame places and just full of average folk.
So they certainly weren't from the 'ghetto'

quote:
....if you're not good enough.

I don't believe anyone has said otherwise.
But my point was that not many talented drivers get the backing (granted now you have various junior academies and it's a bit more common) Hamilton had from a major team at such a young age nor do they get their first seat in a top team (most drivers have to work their way up to a top seat) - so he was extremely lucky to be given the opportunity.

quote:
.....to come from a "normal" upbringing.

I'd argue that a fair amount of the drivers on the grid have had a "normal" upbringing and are far from privileged, wealthy families.
Ben G

25th Sep 14 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can argue all you want. No one's listening to your drivel.
JonnyJ

25th Sep 14 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Income is directly connected to class
So i would say they were firmly in the middle-class bracket considering his old man would have been earning a decent salary (if he was contracting then six-figures is easily achievable).

Im sorry but thats bollocks, class is not just determined by wage. Theres far more to take into account that just how much you earn. That suggests you could become middle class over night by getting a wage rise. If i earned £30k a year driving Lorries and picked up an extra £10k washing windows i wouldnt be middle class because i was on 40k a year. Not that its relevant at all, his dad was grafting 3 jobs [so i doubt he was on six figures in his main job] to pay for his karting and brought up in very average surroundings, i dont know why you're trying to paint a picture of privilege?

quote:
But as an eight year-old sleeping on his father’s sofa shortly after his parent’s divorce, F1 success seemed an impossible dream. Father, Anthony, still chased it with all his might, at times holding down four jobs.

“My Dad said in the first year we spent £20,000. He put my step-mum’s life savings, his life savings and re-mortgaged the house just for that year,” he added

“It’s a huge gamble and it’s a huge commitment. A lot of people do that and don’t get the end result I did.

“My Dad and Linda just gave up their idea of going shopping and getting things like nice new clothes and all the things women do, to keep me racing.

“She would be in the back of this box trailer next to a gas fire sitting with my brother on her lap, and a pot of Noor chicken noodle. It was the best. We had it every race weekend.”

Aye, sounds like the idyllic, quintessential middle class upbringing to me

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Having worked in Stevenage for the last 5 years, the 'council estates' (majority are ex-council houses) around there are far from the likes of Moss Side They're tame places and just full of average folk.
So they certainly weren't from the 'ghetto'

Who said they were? Council estate scum were Ben's words not mine. I grew up on one and know the majority of folk are just your average working folk so wouldnt dare call them that or "the ghetto". But I've been to Stevenage also and its a far cry from Frome, Heppenheim, Monaco, Oviedo, Geneva etc. In fact if you could find a less appealing place to grow up in on the current F1 grid I'd be surprised.

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Hamilton had from a major team at such a young age nor do they get their first seat in a top team (most drivers have to work their way up to a top seat) - so he was extremely lucky to be given the opportunity.

Why was he? Did he win it in a raffle or something? Or did he earn his place because he was good? Was Messi lucky to get a spot in Barcelona's academy aged 11 or did they see exceptional talent and take him on based on that? The reason he got the opportunity was because McLaren spotted a special talent and wanted to have him as part of their team, he then earned his spot in the F1 team by utilising that opportunity in the junior formulas and GP2, nothing to do with luck. If he was average he wouldnt have got the chance and would have had to work his way up to prove himself, simple
Ben G

25th Sep 14 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Council scum was a joke mate
tom130691
Premium Member

25th Sep 14 at 10:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You make your own luck. You've got to be good to put yourself in the position to get that "luck"

If you win:

British Karting Championship x 2
STP Karting Championship
Champions of the Future Series x 2
Five Nations Karting Championship
Become the youngest ever World Karting Number One
European Karting Champion
World Karting Champion

All by the age of 15, chances are you're going to get noticed and put in a position to work your way up to an F1 drive.

If theres thousands out there doing all the above and getting nowhere I'd see your point. If theres any luck involved its a small fraction compared to the talent possessed and the graft put in.

with plenty of financial support, I know guy who were doing European rotax at £5k a round, theres tv footage of him starting pole and winning races, he stopped as he ran out of money, his team mate at the time was leading the indy 500 at the halfway point and got a massive check,

there is alot of good drivers in lower classes that cant prove them selves as the do not have finances to support a competitive machine

<<  82    83    84    85    86    87    88  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2014 Thread 24 database queries in 0.0395410 seconds