corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Another Airshow crash

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Another Airshow crash
DaveyLC

User status: Offline
23rd Aug 15 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Other pilots have commented that the plane sounded 'perfect' while performing the manoeuvre so no engine failure. Personally it looks like he's misjudged his altitude and/or air speed. There's a critical point when you get too close to the ground that the lift created by the wings at a particular speed diminishes exponentially .
--ToM--

23rd Aug 15 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Similar thing happened at the private airfield I used to work at, a guy in his private plane was approaching the runway to land but approach speed was too low so the lift from the wings went and it literally dropped out the sky and burst into flames in the farmers field just before the runway :/

By the when when I say similar I was referring to what davey said not that the crash was similar to this one.
DannyB
Premium Member

23rd Aug 15 at 12:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just reading updates online, looking on the DM website and noticed the advert for the new Discovery

http://i.imgur.com/O2zl7rc.jpg
Nismo

23rd Aug 15 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now gone up to 11.
Ben G

23rd Aug 15 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

surprised it isn't more as i'm guessing the road was very busy on a Saturday afternoon.
Ben G

23rd Aug 15 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://news.sky.com/story/1540402/one-dead-as-swiss-airshow-planes-collide

Another airshow crash in Switzerland... they'll be banned very soon.

No formal identification of the bodies found in the UK ones either, though I guess family/friends will know if they haven't made contact.

[Edited on 23-08-2015 by Ben G]
DannyB
Premium Member

23rd Aug 15 at 15:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A slightly different pic to the other one

Ben G

23rd Aug 15 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It looks as if the people to the right of the first dashcam image may have got out alive.
DannyB
Premium Member

23rd Aug 15 at 15:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can see from that pic why the Corsa is so flat, the whole fuselage must have bounced on top of it. Awfull.
DannyB
Premium Member

23rd Aug 15 at 15:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not seen this one before, although you don't see much. Just another dash cam

https://vid.me/e/5ekq

Nismo

23rd Aug 15 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that car (BMW i think) in the middle of it
Nismo

23rd Aug 15 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just seen this picture on Dailymail,

The Merc and the Astra clear and i think its an X5 that is the BMW.

Jambo

23rd Aug 15 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That corsa

[Edited on 23-08-2015 by Jambo]
--ToM--

23rd Aug 15 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's an x3
DannyB
Premium Member

23rd Aug 15 at 19:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's really freaky when you think about the luck involved in that plane dropping out of the sky on top of the Corsa. If it stayed in another lane, was 30 seconds later due to traffic, went another way, stopped for fuel etc then they would have been ok. Driving along minding your own business, going about your day, and a fucking plane bounces off the roof killing you. Mental.

[Edited on 23-08-2015 by DannyB]
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Aug 15 at 19:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Final Destination
Ben G

23rd Aug 15 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --ToM--
It's an x3

I wanted to say they s but felt it was a bit distasteful to be so pedantic in this thread
Cavey

23rd Aug 15 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
http://news.sky.com/story/1540402/one-dead-as-swiss-airshow-planes-collide

Another airshow crash in Switzerland... they'll be banned very soon.

No formal identification of the bodies found in the UK ones either, though I guess family/friends will know if they haven't made contact.

[Edited on 23-08-2015 by Ben G]

They said earlier that there were 2 Worthing fc players involved, and another name was released earlier too

[Edited on 23-08-2015 by Cavey]
ed

23rd Aug 15 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
An aircraft stall isn't to do with the running of the engine. It's when the planes reaches an angle where it can not produce enough thrust to maintain lift.

In this case of the plane stalled on the upclimb it would explain why it didn't get the required height to clear the ground

No it's not.
ed

23rd Aug 15 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could speculate that the pilot greyed out at the top of the loop because of the g-force. You loose peripheral vision and see 'grey' because all your blood gets dragged into your legs. You recover pretty quickly once the g-force reduces, but if you're flying that close to the ground then you can get into trouble pretty quickly
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Aug 15 at 20:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
An aircraft stall isn't to do with the running of the engine. It's when the planes reaches an angle where it can not produce enough thrust to maintain lift.

In this case of the plane stalled on the upclimb it would explain why it didn't get the required height to clear the ground

No it's not.

quote:
Sufficient airspeed must be maintained in flight to produce enough lift to support the airplane without requiring too large an angle of attack. At a specific angle of attack, called the critical angle of attack, air going over a wing will separate from the wing or "burble" (see figure 1 ), causing the wing to lose its lift (stall).

Perhaps I could have said maintain enough speed rather than thrust but since thrust is what creates the speed in an upwards climb I thought it was a close enough description whilst typing it out quickly on my phone. Little did I know some pinickity cunt would come along trying to be clever

[Edited on 23-08-2015 by Steve]
_Allan_

23rd Aug 15 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ed

23rd Aug 15 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:

No it's not.

quote:
Sufficient airspeed must be maintained in flight to produce enough lift to support the airplane without requiring too large an angle of attack. At a specific angle of attack, called the critical angle of attack, air going over a wing will separate from the wing or "burble" (see figure 1 ), causing the wing to lose its lift (stall).

Perhaps I could have said maintain enough speed rather than thrust but since thrust is what creates the speed in an upwards climb I thought it was a close enough description whilst typing it out quickly on my phone. Little did I know some pinickity cunt would come along trying to be clever

[Edited on 23-08-2015 by Steve]

You've just posted something without understanding it. You can stall a wing at any airspeed, a stall happens when the angle of attack exceeds that which the aerofoil is designed for.
Generation

23rd Aug 15 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lot of Google experts appearing
Cavey

23rd Aug 15 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not like ed works in aviation or anything

Or has a pilot license or something

[Edited on 23-08-2015 by Cavey]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Another Airshow crash 22 database queries in 0.0369000 seconds