corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Brand new Corsa VXR - £113 p/m!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Brand new Corsa VXR - £113 p/m!
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

User status: Offline
6th May 14 at 22:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
What are they new, £19-20k? And after two years a quick look on AutoTrader says £11k so £9k loss.

This deal over two years (putting down 6 months) at £4410 represents a huge ‘saving’ over buying a new one 'cash'.

Even if you bought the two year old one now for £11k, I bet you’d loose £4k in the next two years and have to pay if anything breaks, might as well have a new one.

[Edited on 06-05-2014 by A2H GO]

Yes but after two years you've got a car worth 11k to sell or to keep

With a lease or what ever after two years all you've got is a receipt for 10k (or how ever much it is) and the option to put another deposit down...
It's not for me tbh is rather own a car than rent it. Same as renting a flat. Hence why I'm currently saving up for a mortgage as renting is just pissing money away really.
James

6th May 14 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FlaFFy_91
quote:
What are they new, £19-20k? And after two years a quick look on AutoTrader says £11k so £9k loss.

This deal over two years (putting down 6 months) at £4410 represents a huge ‘saving’ over buying a new one 'cash'.

Even if you bought the two year old one now for £11k, I bet you’d loose £4k in the next two years and have to pay if anything breaks, might as well have a new one.

[Edited on 06-05-2014 by A2H GO]

Yes but after two years you've got a car worth 11k to sell or to keep

With a lease or what ever after two years all you've got is a receipt for 10k (or how ever much it is) and the option to put another deposit down...
It's not for me tbh is rather own a car than rent it. Same as renting a flat. Hence why I'm currently saving up for a mortgage as renting is just pissing money away really.

Read the post that you quoted again. Buying new loses you £9k. Leasing loses you £4410. The £11k of value in the car is irrelevant, we are comparing how much you lose over the first 2 years and the lease is the much better deals.

Properties don't depreciate in the same way as cars so you can't really compare the two.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

7th May 14 at 07:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes you do loose more in two years buying. But at the end of it you have nothing. That's my point. I'd rather own something than borrow it.
Just putting in my 2 pence is all.
Eck
Premium Member

7th May 14 at 08:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said, it can't really be compared to a house because houses usually don't depreciate.Cars (especially Vauxhalls) lose thousands within yards of the forecourt.
Besides, you don't exactly own the car until you've paid off the £20k anyway.
James

7th May 14 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FlaFFy_91
Yes you do loose more in two years buying. But at the end of it you have nothing. That's my point. I'd rather own something than borrow it.
Just putting in my 2 pence is all.

If I said to you, you can loan me £20k and after 2 years I'll give you £11k back, or you can lend me £4.5k and after 2 years I'll give you nothing back, would you take the first option because it means you'll have £11k of what was yours in the first place left over?
Steve
Premium Member

7th May 14 at 09:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which begs the question, if the cost is cheaper than depreciation, how is the lease company making money
3CorsaMeal

7th May 14 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The price is made up to suit, thats the whole rip off, Corsa VXR is a £4-5k car, the rest is just made up numbers to make people feel they are getting a special deal.

What happens if these finance, rental, pay monthly companies go under, does someone come out and reclaim their car from you?
pow
Premium Member

7th May 14 at 09:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd just rather not have the £xxx leaving my account every month - plus the model only works if you change cars every 2/3 years, when I bought the Alfa it was a long term investment that won't carry on loosing value at the rate it has done already
Ian W

7th May 14 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
I'd just rather not have the £xxx leaving my account every month - plus the model only works if you change cars every 2/3 years, when I bought the Alfa it was a long term investment that won't carry on loosing value at the rate it has done already

I'm the same, the thought of £xxx leaving my account every month for so long no longer appeals to me like it did when I was young and reckless

Until I buy myself something older than should increase in value I can't see me ever spending more than 5k on a daily car again.
Corsa_Sport21

7th May 14 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why does the "renting a house" debate always come into it??

For a lot of people, not renting a house isn't an option whereas leasing a car is. You need a roof over your head but you don't need a leased car sitting on the drive.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

7th May 14 at 11:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd love to lease a car, its quite simple maths as quoted by Jambon and co. Its just the British mentality of MUST OWN, CAN'T RENT, MUST MUST OWNNN.

[Edited on 07-05-2014 by willay]
RichR
Premium Member

7th May 14 at 11:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I'm the other way entirely as I don't even want to lose £4k, let alone £9k in 2 years. I've lost about £2k on the car I bought nearly 4 years ago and I hate that I've 'lost' any money at all.
3CorsaMeal

7th May 14 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
I'd love to lease a car, its quite simple maths as quoted by Jambon and co. Its just the British mentality of MUST OWN, CAN'T RENT, MUST MUST OWNNN.

[Edited on 07-05-2014 by willay]

Imo its the new attitude of every thinking they can have what they can't afford, a chap in a pub told me this, its too easy for kids to get what they want these days.

People don't need brand new cars, its only their ego that does.
James

7th May 14 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No-one needs a brand new anything.

Why do you buy brand new clothes? You don't need them...

Ridiculous argument.
Corsa_Sport21

7th May 14 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What if you grow out of your old clothes?? I would say in that case you need new clothes.
A2H GO

7th May 14 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not sure you grasped what James is saying.
spencer88

7th May 14 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
What if you grow out of your old clothes?? I would say in that case you need new clothes.

Or you could go to the second hand shop and buy older clothes which can still be worn and are in good condition.

Similar to cars.....
A2H GO

7th May 14 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Which begs the question, if the cost is cheaper than depreciation, how is the lease company making money

As 3CM says, knowing very few people will ever pay cash for a new car, the list price is massively inflated to start with making PCP/lease deals look more attractive.
Jambo

7th May 14 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve

As 3CM says, knowing very few people will ever pay cash for a new car, the list price is massively inflated to start with making PCP/lease deals look more attractive.

Some lease deals are subsidised by the VM to push certain models increase market share or whatever their reason. Just like Supermarkets do and a lot of businesses when they have a sale etc.
3CorsaMeal

7th May 14 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who buys old clothes though?
spencer88

7th May 14 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal

People.

I know loads of people who buy second hand clothes. Generally designer stuff for fuck all

Some people out there probably question why people buy second hand cars.
Corsa_Sport21

7th May 14 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And who buys clothes on tick.

What if you can't get clothes in the style/size you want from 2nd hand shops or whatever??
3CorsaMeal

7th May 14 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because a new car can lose you thousands of pounds within a year.

Buy a £100 jumper and it will last longer than a new corsa, never had to do a paperclip test on any of my clothes.
A2H GO

7th May 14 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

spencer88

7th May 14 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by spencer88
quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal

People.

I know loads of people who buy second hand clothes. Generally designer stuff for fuck all

Some people out there probably question why people buy second hand cars.

What happens if you can't find a second hand car that fits your spec and will be reliable and not have repair bills every month? (for example only)

You go and buy a new one, where you can afford the payments.

It is horses for courses. I see no issue with people getting a lease car, or buying a second hand one.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Brand new Corsa VXR - £113 p/m! 22 database queries in 0.0197818 seconds