corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » For those who download from Piratebay (tut tut, naughty illegal etc.)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author For those who download from Piratebay (tut tut, naughty illegal etc.)
Recaro1

User status: Offline
14th Sep 10 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm currently logged on using my neighbours wifi (as I cant be arsed to find out the password) but i download using my own ISP cause its hard wired in. I'm thinking I need to swap this round, let them get the letter...
Sam
Premium Member

14th Sep 10 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I predict this is going to be like when you receive letters from clampers demanding money for the parking tickets they've given you.

They send threatening letters, increase your fine etc. and send letters from their solicitors, but ignoring them after a while results in nothing happening.

I suspect, like with the clampers, they make their money from people that are scared enough to pay up, rather than spending serious money pursuing people through the courts (when they can't actually verify the person they are suing is the person that committed the 'crime').
Kimi-01

14th Sep 10 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
for the record its not illegal to download material, its only illegal if you dont already own the material, my advice, go and buy the original, then say you downloaded it as a backup

If you are downloading copyright material from a torrent, then you are also uploading (sharing) which is certainly illegal. The letters that are sent are not about downloading material, but for uploading.

quote:
Originally posted by Doug
It's the responsibility of the internet owner (person who pays the bill) to ensure that their wifi is secure.

The bill payer has no responsibility to make sure their internet connection is secure.

Basically send a LOD and forget about it. As Paul_J says, it is scare tactic. They are not doing anything illegal, and it is not a scam, but the chances of being taken to court over it are extremely slim.

[Edited on 14-09-2010 by Kimi-01]
Steve
Premium Member

14th Sep 10 at 20:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kimi-01
quote:
for the record its not illegal to download material, its only illegal if you dont already own the material, my advice, go and buy the original, then say you downloaded it as a backup

If you are downloading from a torrent, then you are also uploading (sharing) which is certainly illegal. The letters that are sent are not about downloading material, but for uploading.

thats true
Jamie-C

14th Sep 10 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 'mate' downloads something from a torrent site about 2 or 3 times a week
Sam
Premium Member

15th Sep 10 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can attempt to get around this by using a proxy server/VPN connection in another country - I did this whilst we were in the USA as we had unsecure WLAN and I needed to go online.
ed

15th Sep 10 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
quote:
Originally posted by jake
why the fuck is he getting fined 370quid and not the rrp of the cd?

Its like shoplifting, you get fined more than the product because you have commited a crime and it serves as punishment.

You would get criminal charges brought against you for shoplifting. This is clearly a civil case, and a load of crap at that.
Nath

15th Sep 10 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kimi-01
quote:

If you are downloading from a torrent, then you are also uploading (sharing) which is certainly illegal. The letters that are sent are not about downloading material, but for uploading.

thats true

It's not a given though is it? You don't have to upload.
ed

15th Sep 10 at 08:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can prevent seeding if you like using your torrent client. If you've got a popular enough torrent and you're using Piratebay torrents then you may as well not bother sharing
Nath

15th Sep 10 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve
Premium Member

15th Sep 10 at 12:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im going mad here nath, i think i might start on u
mattk

15th Sep 10 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
I predict this is going to be like when you receive letters from clampers demanding money for the parking tickets they've given you.

They send threatening letters, increase your fine etc. and send letters from their solicitors, but ignoring them after a while results in nothing happening.

I suspect, like with the clampers, they make their money from people that are scared enough to pay up, rather than spending serious money pursuing people through the courts (when they can't actually verify the person they are suing is the person that committed the 'crime').

Ive had an unpaid parking fine since trax last year, I took great pleasure in recieving their bull shit letters, best just to ignore them all together than respond
Nath

15th Sep 10 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I'm going to get Nic to beat you up.
Root

15th Sep 10 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

meh, just claim you were trojanned and the hacker must have downloaded it because you don't even like that music.

simples, if they want physical proof, destroy your hard drive (take it apart and get a screwdriver and destroy the disc)
and then they have nothing to go off except your computer downloaded this file, not YOU.

If you did claim it was trojanned and they seized your pc and you didn't destroy your hard drive they could check logs to see if it really was trojanned.

Alternatively to physically destroying it, you can use DBAN (google) which will wipe the full contents (whereas a regular format does not).
Ojc

15th Sep 10 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
quote:

I'm going to get Nic to beat you up.

Sam
Premium Member

15th Sep 10 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think I'd do anything unless I received a letter from the Small Claims Court in Northampton TBH. Then I'd take it seriously.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » For those who download from Piratebay (tut tut, naughty illegal etc.) 22 database queries in 0.0146430 seconds