corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Insurance on an XE

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Insurance on an XE
bradfincham

User status: Offline
11th Jan 05 at 00:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had a play with a 106 gti, with cams and unichip last year!

private straight road!

the 106 pulled away but the corsa soon caught up after 40 mph and by 90+ mph i was ahead by a car length or more. 120 and he was a few more car lenghts back!

161 bhp
160 lb/ft torque is my mine but i had 17's and he had no kit and 15's!

Aled

11th Jan 05 at 01:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How about this situation

18 year old been driving a year, crashed a car as a named driver in august wwwps my fault.

Redtop under my old mans name hes clean as fook for over 30 years with advanced driving etc all that crap.

U reckon they'd notice me as a driver? lol

on a 1.2 8v N reg i was paying 25 pounds a month until i had to renew now its gone up to 60

[Edited on 11-01-2005 by Aled]
Paul_J

11th Jan 05 at 01:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bradfincham

private straight road!

the 106 pulled away but the corsa soon caught up after 40 mph and by 90+ mph i was ahead by a car length or more. 120 and he was a few more car lenghts back!

161 bhp

but apart from motorways when will you be reaching 90 in a race! Your burn up from the lights or 1/4 mile should see the pug winning / only just being passed... Now Stuarts pug supposedly has 148 bhp and probably more than 120 lb ft of torque... so even better. Ok so you'd pass him at over 100 but whos gonna keep going till then? plus get to a corner and the pug will get away.

ok the corsa may have more power + torque but its over 200 kg heavier isn't it?

106 gti is something like 935kg... 2.0 corsa has to be 1200-1300kg?

work out the bhp / lbft per tonne and my moneys on the 106 for a normal race (not motorways)

Paul J
Chump

11th Jan 05 at 07:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
quote:
Originally posted by bradfincham

private straight road!

161 bhp

but apart from motorways when will you be reaching 90 in a race! Your burn up from the lights or 1/4 mile should see the pug winning / only just being passed... Now Stuarts pug supposedly has 148 bhp and probably more than 120 lb ft of torque... so even better. Ok so you'd pass him at over 100 but whos gonna keep going till then? plus get to a corner and the pug will get away.

ok the corsa may have more power + torque but its over 200 kg heavier isn't it?

106 gti is something like 935kg... 2.0 corsa has to be 1200-1300kg?

work out the bhp / lbft per tonne and my moneys on the 106 for a normal race (not motorways)

Paul J

I'd say a Corsa B with XE is more like 1000kg....
Fad

11th Jan 05 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa5dr
quote:
checked your garage... has your pug really got 148 bhp? and over 120 lb ft of torque? surely that'll be quicker than a 2.0 corsa.

My money would be on the pug until 80/90ish, then I would imagine the corsa would win out as the 106 runs out of steam a little in 4th.

your kidding me? with 120ft of torque? I've driven one with a decat, full exhaust, chip and exhaust manifold...not sure what the BHP is but my XE when std would blow the spots off it handles well and thats about it. Also driving the XE is far more enjoayable as it dont feel like your revving the balls off of it power is nice and progressive. You can say i am biased all ou want but i have driven all the equivilants (saxo VTS, pug GTI etc etc) and i would still have the valver.

i was insured on my XE @ 19 for 1200 FC now am 21 (22 in march) with 2yrs NCB (3yrs in may) and i paid 615tpft last may. and thats with a fairly bad post code due to neighbouring estates

Steve
Premium Member

11th Jan 05 at 12:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my 106 gti was getting faster times up the strip last year than xe's pulling around 15.1 xe's getting in the 15.5-6 range, i know sum can do 14.9 ish but not a lot in it
Fad

11th Jan 05 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well with XE's their times all depend on the lauch due to the torque they produce where as i am uessing there is reletivley less spin in a GTI, this is also why CTR's have pretty piss poor quarters. Mine ran a 15 dead with sounds and a full interior in it so once i get my diff i reckon i'll be in the high 14's and that was on a toally stock XE.
Paul_J

11th Jan 05 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chump

I'd say a Corsa B with XE is more like 1000kg....

If a XE'd corsa is 1000kg then the 106 gti is 830 lol

Bullshit, I'm sure my 1.2 16v corsa is more than 1000kg - and that's a tiny 1.2
stuartmitchell

11th Jan 05 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The gti is built like a shoebox, there really is F.u.C.K. all to it

Haynes says the gti is 860 kg
Paul_J

11th Jan 05 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So your 106 has 168 bhp per tonne and over 137 lb ft of torque per tonne.
corsa5dr

11th Jan 05 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aceness
Paul_J

11th Jan 05 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Based on a 2.0 16v corsa being 1100 kg

they have 135 bhp per tonne and 135 lb ft of torque per tonne
Paul_J

11th Jan 05 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

standard 106 would only have 136 bhp per tonne and 133 lb ft of torque. Based on a 120 bhp version.
Chump

11th Jan 05 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

AFAIK they're not this heavy......obviously discounting the driver....
Ditch

11th Jan 05 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Kerb weight of my astra in my haynes manual

GTE 16v with PAS - 990kg
According to migweb its - 1035kg

An XE corsa DOES NOT weigh 1100kg
Paul_J

11th Jan 05 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh ok - I was probably thinking with a driver
Chump

11th Jan 05 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for years now people are always asking what different types of corsa's weigh - no one ever has a definitive answer. I reckon someone should organise a day where each model is properly weighed and then the stats kept on this site

[Edited on 11-01-2005 by Chump]
corsa5dr

11th Jan 05 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
standard 106 would only have 136 bhp per tonne and 133 lb ft of torque. Based on a 120 bhp version.

According to EVO the 106 has 128bhp per tonne
torque is 108lb/ft as standard so it would be a bit less that 133 lb/ft per tonne.
JKGSI

11th Jan 05 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i really like the look of your 106 mate so would be careful before making the decision to change. What reliability problems have you had with it as I may be able to help. So far mine has had a new Lambda prob, fuel filter and a good clean of all the other sensors and it runs sweet. All that lot cost me £10 as the lambda was free , other niggly thing is my gearbox is getting notchy so probably need to look for a refurb, can get them for around £200 though. I've done 25k in 18 months and it's never been off the road for more than a day
corsa5dr

11th Jan 05 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll second that, I've done around 15k this year and the only problem I've had is that a c ouple of spark plugs need replacing and the standard exaust system needed replacing, but the car has done 71k and this kind of thing happends with most cars.

From what I've heard though people either have loads of problems with them, or none at all
stuartmitchell

11th Jan 05 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JKGSI
i really like the look of your 106 mate so would be careful before making the decision to change. What reliability problems have you had with it as I may be able to help. So far mine has had a new Lambda prob, fuel filter and a good clean of all the other sensors and it runs sweet. All that lot cost me £10 as the lambda was free , other niggly thing is my gearbox is getting notchy so probably need to look for a refurb, can get them for around £200 though. I've done 25k in 18 months and it's never been off the road for more than a day

cheers mate, ive probably over exagerated my ptoblems with it a wee bit, but I had NO problems with my corsa so having to get this repaired is a bit of a cnut

JKGSI

11th Jan 05 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i understand what your sayin, they do need looking after and servicing regularly but as long as you keep a check on things they are reliable. Wouldnt want you to regret sellin it as it is a well nice car from the pictures. What problems does it currently have?? add me if ur on msn: jonoking@btopenworld.com
corsa5dr

11th Jan 05 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Funny enough I had looooads of problems with my corsa Same with all cars, you get good ones and you get bad ones
bradfincham

11th Jan 05 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

corsa is no where near 1200kg,
with my interior and no power steering air con etc etc! i would say 950kg at the very most! il use the weigh bridge at work soon!!

but the gti can put the power down so much faster than the corsa, corsa will spin up faster as well!
Right driver with lots of strip practice in a corsa could get low 15's high 14's easily
Niall

11th Jan 05 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it's all about the torque, take the crx for example, 1.6 16v 160bhp and less torque than my wheel bolts. my xe has 150bhp but still wipes the floor with them because it has more torque. if you know how to drive it properly and change gear at the right time then the 2.0 will beat it.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Insurance on an XE 22 database queries in 0.0141621 seconds