corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Buying part worn tyres

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Buying part worn tyres
deano87

User status: Offline
24th Jul 13 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But if 2 things you need 100% trust in on your car it's the tyres and brakes.

All imho of course!
Steve
Premium Member

24th Jul 13 at 21:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyCorsaSport
No it's not.

It kinda is really, the only reason its not happening is because they are fairly inexpensive items. I bet garages would offer it if there was a take up. Same principle anyway.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

24th Jul 13 at 21:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought last set part worn had about 6mm left, no marks, repairs etc.

Denton on Kingstown fit for £10 (know its bit far for you)

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Jambo

24th Jul 13 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ask yourself why they are cheap.

Then decide.
Jay

24th Jul 13 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had two on my van for over a year, due some more now and il be getting part worns again, don't see the issue, they've caused me no hassle at all.
shaned12345

24th Jul 13 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Legal limit in Germany is 3mm, that's where 90% of part worn tyres come from.

I've never had a bad one in 4 years.
Graham88

25th Jul 13 at 01:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow so much snobbery in here

I get part worn track tyres when I can. Always on the look out on eBay before I need the tyres. Got lucky and found 2 new rear ones for my road tyres for a pretty bargain price of £300, £400 new. Just bought 6 Pilot Sport Cups for £200, the tyres are £300 each new and have half the wear left. Which brings me to my point that they have to be cheap.

I bought a Michelin Pilot Sport Cup which is £310 new in 18", it was used with 1mm wear off what they come with new, I paid £35 posted to my door.

You have to change them more often but the saving is astronomical in some cases. I'd buy new all the time if I hadn't found any part worns but when a new set of tyres is £800 I'd rather avoid it if possible.

[Edited on 25-07-2013 by Graham88]
Dave

25th Jul 13 at 05:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Ask yourself why they are cheap.

Then decide.

Because they are used?
Jambo

25th Jul 13 at 06:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because there is no regulation, or guarantee on something so critical to performance and safety.

They are disproportionate in cost to new ones for that reason. You are essentially gambling and trusting the seller.

Of course, that doesn't mean that it's impossible or every set is dodgy. It simply means its a gamble, and that is why they are cheap.
Dave

25th Jul 13 at 06:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you buy all your cars new Jambo? I can't help noticing used cars are disproportionately cheap compared to brand new ones too. They tend to come with part worn tyres on too.
ShEp

25th Jul 13 at 07:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Part worns are fine,.

ALways a gamble buying them though as you dont know the condition of them.

Cuts & buldges wont be visable till they are fitted and blown up.
Steve
Premium Member

25th Jul 13 at 07:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its definitely a snob thing.

You cant really use the, well you bought a used car justification, because there is clearly a massive difference in cost of a new car and a new set of tyres.

Its almost like me saying to you, why don't you buy used clothes because you bought a used car.
mwg

25th Jul 13 at 07:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I'll buy them and trust that Paypal will get me my money back should it all go tits up...
mwg

25th Jul 13 at 07:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Its definitely a snob thing.

You cant really use the, well you bought a used car justification, because there is clearly a massive difference in cost of a new car and a new set of tyres.

Its almost like me saying to you, why don't you buy used clothes because you bought a used car.

part worn underwear ftw
JonnyJ

25th Jul 13 at 07:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never had an issue with mine. Uses to get my astra ones for£15 fitted, no explosions, no crashes, offered more than enough grip in all conditions and lasted ages.

The only noticable difference was i had a fair few quid extra in my bank account to spend on more exciting things
mwg

25th Jul 13 at 07:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking at the guy that's selling the tyres feedback (100%) he obviously sells quite a few tyres and all with good comments on the condition of them. Screw it, I'm having them. Certain death is now mine. My skid marked used underwear will be for sale soon
Steve
Premium Member

25th Jul 13 at 07:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, im not here to tell you they won't work or they are unsafe, im saying, for me, I turn my nose up at it and buy new.

Im sure there are people out there with enough money who will turn their noses up at people who buy used cars too. Its all relative to money and snobbery anyway.

Everyone has it in them to some degree, we buy new clothes when used probably makes as much sense, and probably more financially too.

Conclusion: Im an ignorant twat about it

[Edited on 25-07-2013 by Steve]
mwg

25th Jul 13 at 07:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was always a bit of a snob with tyres, always get the premium brands but it costs so much and I'm trying to save a load of money at the moment so got me thinking about part worn. And they are still the same premium brand tyres as I'd get new.
JonnyJ

25th Jul 13 at 07:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If i had a shit load of disposable income id buy new too just because i could. However, i dont and when it comes down to it id rather spend my £100odd pound saving on something more fun, seeing as the difference isnt noticeable. Or so little i cant notice it anyway before someone wades in with some wikipedia psyhics
mwg

25th Jul 13 at 08:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You are good example of buying part worns with the amount of miles you do (or did) and you haven't had any problems with them
JonnyJ

25th Jul 13 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im just a cheap skate all round though but aye, they've never seen me wrong or my mates. End of the day, like anything 2nd hand, just check them over & buy from someone reputable, so long as you do that theyre just tyres that have done some miles. You dont start freaking out when your brand new tyres have done 1000 miles so theres no reason to with these.
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Jul 13 at 09:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I looked into it but only as far as eBay. To be honest I found the examples I looked at to be false economy.

Found some which had 6mm left and they were only about £20 a corner cheaper (on tyres which were £150 anyway) and found some at 4mm at roughly half price... but then they're also roughly halfway through the life cycle of a tyre

I'd go for them if I could get the brand/size I wanted and I felt it was economically advantageous

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
John

25th Jul 13 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Part worns are probably fine, same as ditchfinders are fine on most occasions. I don't buy either because I'd just rather not.
Root

25th Jul 13 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never bought new tyres

not had a problem with most part worns though, a couple have had slow punctures but just went and swapped them
Simon_16v

25th Jul 13 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought part worn tyres for my old Leon. £30 for a Continental Contact Sport 2 with 6mm of tread or £100+ elsewhere.

For the Clio I'd buy new as getting decent part worn tyres for it is difficult and even when they do appear they have next to no tread or are shite makes

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Buying part worn tyres 23 database queries in 0.0139780 seconds