corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Haynes Roadster - self built from scratch.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Haynes Roadster - self built from scratch.
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
5th Jul 13 at 09:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did a full 3D model of the chassis for a guy at work with 1:1 cut plans for each chassis member - I've only just seen this, otherwise I would have sent you it across.
Ste
Premium Member

5th Jul 13 at 16:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Good stuff. Are you building this from a set of drawings in that Haynes book i guess?

Also, whats going on here?

Yeah it's the Haynes Roadster book

http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/BookFeature_BYOSportsCarView?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001

Ian come into the garage after being outside for half an hour and the chassis foundation was laid

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

5th Jul 13 at 16:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good work as usual ste
Ste
Premium Member

5th Jul 13 at 17:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Will.I.Am Wa.G.Er

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
corsadonk
Premium Member

5th Jul 13 at 17:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had a copy of the book for years, one day.

I'll have to keep a eye on this.
daymoon
Premium Member

5th Jul 13 at 18:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bookmarked!

I got that book too. Just need to either buy a house with a garage or get council to sell some land so can build a garage myself.
Bonney

5th Jul 13 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats happened with Ians white corsa that was there, Has it gone?
daymoon
Premium Member

8th Jul 13 at 19:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhNUG3t3NRU
morpheus22

9th Jul 13 at 06:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bookmarked cant wait to see this when its finished
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Jul 13 at 10:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bonney

Been relegated to the yard, just waiting for my international wood empire to take off then its getting finished.

willay
Premium Member

9th Jul 13 at 10:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Originally posted by Bonney

Been relegated to the yard, just waiting for my international wood empire to take off then its getting finished.

needs to be dry stored
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Jul 13 at 11:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to be stripped anyway, old paint condition not important. We went over all the danger areas before it went out there.
taylorboosh

9th Jul 13 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to end up scrapped
Ste
Premium Member

9th Jul 13 at 15:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Back on topic;

Been busy on the chassis this last week although to the untrained eye it won't look like much.

Made my suspension brackets. Sixteen of these needed making

Meanwhile, the front hubs had been soaking in Bilt Hammer Deox C and were completely de-rusted.

They were rinsed, de-greased, primed and painted

The next day, jigs were made for aligning the front suspension mounts

Rears done next, no need for jigs just careful, accurate measurements

Transmission tunnel next

Today I made the steering column support

Chassis now fully welded up, alternating sides as fast as possible to stop any heat distortion from the cooling welds. Managed 2mm distortion over the whole frame which is good enough for me seeing as most production cars are lucky to see 4mm!

Chassis looks lost at the back of the garage!

[Edited on 09-07-2013 by Ste]

Wrighty

9th Jul 13 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fair play for having a go yourself, id have just gone for a camber comp dax rush mc
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

10th Jul 13 at 08:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha ian doing some very precise mesurements there
sparcost3

10th Jul 13 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats bits are you using exactly from that clapped out old donor car?
Ste
Premium Member

10th Jul 13 at 22:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

steering column
front hubs
rear hubs
gearbox
diff

hubs will be stripped, de-rusted then painted with new bearings, seals and dust caps

steering column will have new bushes fitted

gearbox stripped, worn parts replaced, bearings replaced with heavy duty ones

diff will be stripped, cleaned and rebuilt with a new LSD, new seals and bearings

everything else will be brand new

daymoon
Premium Member

21st Jul 13 at 23:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Progress?
Ste
Premium Member

31st Jul 13 at 15:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry about the delay in updating...

As I plan on making every panel from carbon fibre I started with the steering column shroud.

Started by blanking off the holes then body filler, sanding, high build primer, more sanding, gloss top coat and more flatting.

Not got the pics on my phone of the finished bits but they are now ready to take moulds off.

Fabricated the rear uprights. These will accept the sierra hubs and shafts and rear calipers.

Gearbox was checked over and found to be near perfect inside with no wear so cleaned and painted

Diff was stripped and casing bead blasted. I'll be fitting an LSD in here so stripped it right back and had to make some special tools to get it apart.

Rear hubs were treated in the Deox C bath which stripped them of rust, then washed and primed then painted

Final parts were welded to the chassis minus the engine mounts while I wait for an alloy bellhousing to be made to connect the puma engine to the type 9 box

Meanwhile, I made the jigs for making the suspension wishbones

And also started on the plates to make the engine mounts using a broken 1.7 zetec se engine as a guide

Finally, whole chassis was cleaned, primed and has had it's first top coat

[Edited on 31-07-2013 by Ste]

daymoon
Premium Member

31st Jul 13 at 18:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Top work!
What management are you going to use for engine?
M Sutton

31st Jul 13 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love this!! Wish I had the skills to do this sort of work, awesome
corsadonk
Premium Member

1st Aug 13 at 06:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Deox C is good stuff.

How many hours do you think you've spent on it?
willay
Premium Member

1st Aug 13 at 10:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are you using filler at your desk at work mate?
Ste
Premium Member

1st Aug 13 at 22:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsadonk
Deox C is good stuff.

How many hours do you think you've spent on it?

Not sure, I do about 2 hours per day during the week and at weekends one full day/evening

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Haynes Roadster - self built from scratch. 24 database queries in 0.1252551 seconds