60 3 (1.83%)
70 14 (8.54%)
80 71 (43.29%)
90 42 (25.61%)
100 13 (7.93%)
100+ 21 (12.8%)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Speed on m'way
paul.mitchell1984

User status: Offline
10th Jul 07 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hence why i said try...but with the experience you would havemore of an idea how to try and correct it than say a 17 year old qith no driving experience, at high speed nobody stands a chance really,
craig_brux

10th Jul 07 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if they put the speed limit up to 90mph. then people would do upto 120mph knowing that they wouldnt be banned. And how much carnage would there be after crashing at 120 than at 70mph?
Jake

10th Jul 07 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There shouldnt be a speed limit but there should be average speed camera running all the way down motorways to check no one is taking the piss - ie, doing 120mph along a 5 mile stretch
R Lee

10th Jul 07 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by craig_brux
if they put the speed limit up to 90mph. then people would do upto 120mph knowing that they wouldnt be banned. And how much carnage would there be after crashing at 120 than at 70mph?

tbh, i think the majority won't abuse that limit. It's a sensible one.
craig_brux

10th Jul 07 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by paul.mitchell1984
could they not bring in a system where by say a new driver 1-2 years cannot drive over 80 2-3 90 4-5 100 etc, would mean that there would be a complicated system to check all the speed limits and ids on cars but would be better, or something like advanced motoring but like a skid pan day so that you have some sort of extra licence that enables you to go faster but have more sence of what could go wrong how to try and conttrol it etc iv voted 80 as its a good speed imo

this would never work. my nans been driving for over 40 years and i wouldnt trust her to do more than 70.

is it 70 for a reason? like taking reaction times into consideration?
R Lee

10th Jul 07 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jake
There shouldnt be a speed limit but there should be average speed camera running all the way down motorways to check no one is taking the piss - ie, doing 120mph along a 5 mile stretch

The expense that'll take out on the government would be crazy though.
Needs to be monitored at all times.
craig_brux

10th Jul 07 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee
quote:
Originally posted by craig_brux

tbh, i think the majority won't abuse that limit. It's a sensible one.

to a hell of a lot of motorists 70mph is a sensible speed limit. when people were used to driving at 90, and everybody around you was doing 90. you would soon start breaking the speed limit once again.
Marc

10th Jul 07 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I stick to about 80, with the oaccasional faster spurt. You'll always have cars overtaking though no matter what the speed is.
richc

10th Jul 07 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the whole motorway speed limit thing come to me when i visited freesh creeps for my rims the other week! Did 90 -95 the whole way down to luton and it wasnt dangerous at all - if someone pulled out in from down the road, i would just back off and roll to them and glances breaks if needed, - just took it easy and used my head really - no tailing gating, backing off when needed - moving into middle lane when free etc! If everyone did this it would be fine.

Our motorways would be alot better if people didnt just pull out into the 3rd lane and not wanting to break 70. And yes i know people will say its the limit, but i 99% of people break it! And if people used all three lanes it would cut tail backs and more constant speed would be achieveable then!
mav

10th Jul 07 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Usually stick to about 80 since I get 3 points for doing 85 but have the odd blast upto 90+...But never over 100 don't want to lose licence.
skell

10th Jul 07 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i blatently ignore all speed limits on road's i know, i just use my judgement of what is reasonable- eg empty dry motorway=whatever the fuck i want
Tommy

11th Jul 07 at 01:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I voted 90 as the highest acceptable speed as i think a tonne is too quick.
Andrew

11th Jul 07 at 01:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My view is that the car should be limited to what it is comfortable of doing. That should be the speed limit.

Obviously road conditions need to be taken into consideration and cars that do silly speeds.

I do try to stick to 70. Mainly because i don't want any points and 1.4 Corsa's were not really designed to be driven at 120 MPH

[Edited on 11-07-2007 by Andrew]
craig_brux

11th Jul 07 at 05:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
My view is that the car should be limited to what it is comfortable of doing. That should be the speed limit.

Obviously road conditions need to be taken into consideration and cars that do silly speeds.

I do try to stick to 70. Mainly because i don't want any points and 1.4 Corsa's were not really designed to be driven at 120 MPH

[Edited on 11-07-2007 by Andrew]

how many people crash when they are doing a comfortable speed for the car?

too many i believe. its nothing to do with the comfort when somebody has a blowout in front of you and you havnt got time to react or in most other situations imo
ed

11th Jul 07 at 05:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jake
That's why the speed limit was introduced. A Le Mans car and an AC Cobra raced up the M1 at over 120mph and the government got pissed off
pdwhelan

11th Jul 07 at 06:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I voted 80 but if i'm not travelling far i do stick to the speed limit but creep up to 80 by mistake because its comfortable and i seem have more awarness at that speed or even a bit faster!

Sometimes i like to cruise below the speed limit aswell just to relax and go easy with petrol, i'll do 60 on the motorway if i'm only getting off at the next junction or 2.
Nath

11th Jul 07 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Barely ever go over 80mph. Because anymore will drink fuel and 80mph seems optimum for fuel consumption, and making good time on my journey.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

User status: Online
11th Jul 07 at 08:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only think that stops me staying at over 100mph on the motorway is the fact the fuel dissapears.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
FasT09

11th Jul 07 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

80mph. The speed limit for motorways in france and other european countrys is 80mph . 70mph is really hard to keep at imo. How can a country road be 60 and a straight long motorway be 70??
Ash_EP3

11th Jul 07 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there isn't any worry about reaction times if you are all doing the same speed? I was told my old driving instructor that they were thinking about putting it up anyway...?

P.s 10% of the limit plus 4mph is what you are majority of the times allowed to get away with...
Steve X16XE

11th Jul 07 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Dependant on road, weather, load. traffic etc

In france they have 2 limits. 1 for a sunny day and 1 for when it's raining.

I clicked 80 mph. But also think that eg. after 10pm the right lane can be used as a 90 mph lane.

Adam-D

11th Jul 07 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

80 odd i reckon is fine.

Ant

11th Jul 07 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stand on the side of the motorway changing a tyre then post back in here and say you think 80-100 is safe I really think you lot saying 80+

HGV's are limited to 56 and they travel insane distances on motorways, there is a time and place for speed and we all know it.

If you can get away with doing 120 on your local 'private road' then good for you but dont expect it to be made legal because you 'feel' safe
Craigos

11th Jul 07 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Used to go with the flow of traffic. empty M1 one sunday morning 160mph+ A50 pritty empty 145mph. just depends on whats on the roads and the weather conditons etc. i feel safe at them speeds. 160 was in the vectra and it didnt feel that quick.... Just have to watch out for all the idiots on the roads nowdays. but Persoanally the limit should be around 80-90 there are so many idiots and people that are not paying attention with no car control that shouldnt be allowed to do 100+ i think advance car courses and proven experianced drivers should be allowed to drive faster. i think this should be checked every so often. but like that would ever work out. thats why the limit is set at 70mph. and the police dont mind you doing 80mph becuase there looking out for the cocks doing 100+ paying no attention.

This is a story for you all.

I was comming from sheffield to manchester in a vectra V6 around 135 indicated. round a bend on the m1. approaching the exit of the bend i notice a T5 Police car approx 700 yards ahead on the hard sholder. HARD on the brakes into the middle lane. overtook the T5 which was on the hardsholder, shortly after i passed him he pulled off at full speed. go to the side of me looked and just laughed. i seriously think he seen me and let me off becuase he noticed i was paying more than the average attention on the roads. sorry for the essay
Iain M

11th Jul 07 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

80mph i rekon is fine its a nice easy speed.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Speed on m'way 23 database queries in 0.1173549 seconds