corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » good/bad points of a 2lt corsa??

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author good/bad points of a 2lt corsa??
jr

User status: Offline
24th Feb 05 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not talking about that, im talking about how people allways complain that a xe'd corsa handles shockingly

if you compared it to a tuned 1.6 on the same dicent suspension set theres not alot diffrence IMO
Teddy

24th Feb 05 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
quote:
Originally posted by loo_goblin
wats rong with black tops?

only 136bhp. and crap for tuning.

136bhp - Correct
Tuning - Wrong not AS tuneable as the Redtop - but still capable of pushing some "good" power. And low milers are available.
3CorsaMeal

24th Feb 05 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

one of best BHP for £££'s mods about, especially if u starting with a 1.0
SetH

24th Feb 05 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough, so when compared to a 1.6 16v with same suspension the comparsion is not shocking. But when compared clio 182 the handling is shocking.
Stu

24th Feb 05 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
there not shocking if you have a proper suspension set up, like koni adjustables where you can actully adjust how the car handles

ive thrashed fads car around and mine and they handle very similarly

I had Bilsteins all round on mine, with a cage and strut braces front and rear and it was shocking! Not only the handling but the composure under braking as well!

At the time I thought the handling was great myself............then I had the chance to drive Lee mannings Boxster at a Redline shootout at Brunters. This was the first real performance car Id ever driven, Id been in plenty of fast cars but all modified hatches! This opened my eyes big time and that records day was the last time I drove my Corsa apart from when i sold it!

I think the handling, composure and the braking of a car are as important if not more important that its power! It took me a long time and quite a few "offs" to realise that!
jr

24th Feb 05 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
Fair enough, so when compared to a 1.6 16v with same suspension the comparsion is not shocking. But when compared clio 182 the handling is shocking.

Yep seth
jr

24th Feb 05 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stu
quote:
Originally posted by jr
there not shocking if you have a proper suspension set up, like koni adjustables where you can actully adjust how the car handles

ive thrashed fads car around and mine and they handle very similarly

I had Bilsteins all round on mine, with a cage and strut braces front and rear and it was shocking! Not only the handling but the composure under braking as well!

At the time I thought the handling was great myself............then I had the chance to drive Lee mannings Boxster at a Redline shootout at Brunters. This was the first real performance car Id ever driven, Id been in plenty of fast cars but all modified hatches! This opened my eyes big time and that records day was the last time I drove my Corsa apart from when i sold it!

I think the handling, composure and the braking of a car are as important if not more important that its power! It took me a long time and quite a few "offs" to realise that!

i tottaly agree that it not in the same class as cars like porkies boxster etc etc

i was just commenting that compared to corsa with small cc tuned engines theres really not alot of diffrence, not saying that the handle great though in the first place

Stu

24th Feb 05 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The thing that did my head in tho was that my Corsa was quicker than that Boxster in a straight line! I think that was half the problem, its easy to get over confident!
jr

24th Feb 05 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id agree that they deffo feel quicker than a boxster, but i do like boxster, proper country lane car, and after all theres 14 sittingoutside my window hear at work
Stu

24th Feb 05 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
id agree that they deffo feel quicker than a boxster, but i do like boxster, proper country lane car, and after all theres 14 sittingoutside my window hear at work

How come there is that many? Do you work in a Porshe dealership?
jr

24th Feb 05 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes ive counted the car park and theres 27 (im sad)
Stu

24th Feb 05 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
Yes ive counted the car park and theres 27 (im sad)

Haha, sweet! What other exotica do you have out there?

I used to work in Northwich and from my office I could see the forecourt of Christopher Neils......main dealer for TVR, Noble and Lotus! Even blagged a few test drives in my time as well!
Joff

24th Feb 05 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
Go and drive a clio 182 then a 2.0 corsa and tell me the corsas handling is not shocking in comparison.

There's no true comparison. For every mod you to do the suspension on the Corsa, you should do the same to the Clio.

The Corsa's blighted by it's ancient floorpan.

A mate's got a 172 Cup and we've driven them both and mine's not too far off on the twisties.
jr

24th Feb 05 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres a few cayennes, 3 or 4 996 turbos, few 996, 2 944,s a 1977 911, a 028, and about 10 997's

going out in the cars is the good part of the job, the rest of it is shite
Jason

24th Feb 05 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know handling wudnt be that hot but id say its better than my golf is.. 2 big a car i think!
Stu

24th Feb 05 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
theres a few cayennes, 3 or 4 996 turbos, few 996, 2 944,s a 1977 911, a 028, and about 10 997's

What do you do thete and how often do you get out in them?
Andy GSi

24th Feb 05 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by timrud_
Watch for the sump gasket leaking, I hardly know a LET or XE that doesn't!

yep all do, iv just got mine stopping now, but its leaking from somewhere else noe, these engines leak loads!

good points:

great fun, and pissing over saxos without trying is good!

bad points, MAINTAINCE of these! just exect problems! touch wood iv only had minor ones so far!
Stu

24th Feb 05 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

bad points, MAINTAINCE of these! just exect problems! touch wood iv only had minor ones so far!

Ill second that, I had a bit of a nightmare with mine!

To be honest, the shell was good and the engine was good! I mainly had problems with the bits that linked em together, drive shafts, gear boxes, engine mounts, electrics etc etc
jr

24th Feb 05 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stu
quote:
Originally posted by jr

What do you do thete and how often do you get out in them?

Parts department mate, can go out anytime if i ask nicely , thinking of leaving allready though as i really dont like it hear
timrud_

24th Feb 05 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maintenance = LOTS

Going on a mad mission to sort everything on the car soon ready for the summer. No doubt I'll be gutted when the enivitable happens and something goes wrong LOL
timrud_

24th Feb 05 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same with mine.... engine great.

Box (done 2nd gear syncro)
Shafts (snapped the best they do)
CV's (Lost count)
Hubs (2)

Also bottom ball joints, track rod ends, brakes, petrol leaks.

Engines been mint.... which is why I'm having a new bottom end LOL
Fad

24th Feb 05 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had my XE for a fair while and for the best part of three years it was damn reliable the odd crank shafts sensor or air flow meter but it took abuse every day...day in day out....

its just a shame recently i've not had it for more than a week at a time since december

still think for smiles per/£ you cant beat it
Stu

24th Feb 05 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

still think for smiles per/£ you cant beat it

Got to agree with that! Still the most fun car Ive ever had!
ed_jones

24th Feb 05 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wats the best setup then to get the corsa handling as good as it can with a 2lt engine up front, low on adjustables with 16's or higher on adjustables with 17s upwards. the weight has got to be distributed around the car equally as dont these engines weigh a bit? i wanna 2lt engine in a few years wen i can afford it tho dont know if i will get insured on it as ive been on me mum and dads insurance for the last 2 years even though ive had no claims.
Stu

24th Feb 05 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed_jones
wats the best setup then to get the corsa handling as good as it can with a 2lt engine up front, low on adjustables with 16's or higher on adjustables with 17s upwards. the weight has got to be distributed around the car equally as dont these engines weigh a bit? i wanna 2lt engine in a few years wen i can afford it tho dont know if i will get insured on it as ive been on me mum and dads insurance for the last 2 years even though ive had no claims.

Hehe I wouldnt know where to start cos mine handled very badly with Bilsteins, strut braces, cage and uprated roll bars and bushes! Saying that tho, with the history my car had it was probably 2 welded together!

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » good/bad points of a 2lt corsa?? 22 database queries in 0.0403991 seconds