corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Scotland

New Poll
  <<  11    12    13    14    15    16    17  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Scotland
Baskey

User status: Offline
10th Sep 14 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Of course Scotland can use the pound. They can use dollars, packets of fags, pritty much anything they want as currency.

The issue is not being part of a currency union and having no say in things like the interest rates set on that currency.

Also not being part of a currency union in theory means you can't have a central bank so borrowing becomes an issue.

Some articles I have read suggest not having the above won't be an issue for Scotland, others that it will ruine it

I personally don't really care but saying Scotland can 'use the pound' is far to simplistic
Baskey

10th Sep 14 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads

As a scenario - if England starts to do well scotland starts to find it hard, BoE put interest rates up, Scottish will then just get screwed even more as they won't control the currency.

Yes this is the point I was trying to make. It could actully work the other way as well and potentially benifit Scotland. The issue is are you happy to have no control and also no central bank to lend money
Dom

10th Sep 14 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
If we are assuming our share of the debt.....

But will Scotland pay back it's fair share of the debt?
Salmond has always appeared against it, even coming out with lines like "What will they do, invade?".

quote:
....it is one of our collective assets.

But it's an asset of the Union, which is what Scotland is leaving. It's no different if you were on the board of directors with a company, if you leave then you don't get access and control of the companies assets.
'Dollarisation'/Currency Substitution would be you're only option but then you wouldn't have any control or input into the currency, which seems a little ironic considering the supposed 'need' for independence.

quote:
There is a divide, note it's mostly Southerners that disregard it.

I guess we've evolved a little more and got past the grudges and chipped shoulders
Ben G

10th Sep 14 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
People power you've been watching too much Braveheart.

What relevance does Braveheart have to people power you spastic?

I'm not talking about painting my face and wearing a kilt, I'm talking about galvanising progressive movements throughout the country by showing what can be achieved when a group of people come together to change something they don't agree with.

Nice use of derogatory words there. Real mature
Hammer

10th Sep 14 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Baskey
Of course Scotland can use the pound. They can use dollars, packets of fags, pritty much anything they want as currency.

The issue is not being part of a currency union and having no say in things like the interest rates set on that currency.

Also not being part of a currency union in theory means you can't have a central bank so borrowing becomes an issue.

Some articles I have read suggest not having the above won't be an issue for Scotland, others that it will ruine it

I personally don't really care but saying Scotland can 'use the pound' is far to simplistic

Tell me what other option there will be for either side if we vote Yes next week? A Currency Union is the only viable and mutually beneficial option. For the moment it's being used as a scare tactic to suggest otherwise.
Baskey

10th Sep 14 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well all parties have gone on record to say there will not be a currency union with Scotland. If you believe them or not is something else.

If Scotland do vote yes then I'm not sure if anything will be mutually beneficial? Or that will even matter when the 2 countries go from being a union to become competitors and try to screw each other over at every oppertunity

[Edited on 10-09-2014 by Baskey]
Hammer

10th Sep 14 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Salmond has always appeared against it, even coming out with lines like "What will they do, invade?".

Can you show me one quotation from Salmond which suggests anything, even remotely, close to that?

He has said, as has the entire SNP Party and Yes Campaign that we will bear the burden of the liabilitilies as long as they get their fair share of the assets.

Sounds as if you've been reading demonising tabloid headlines.

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
But it's an asset of the Union, which is what Scotland is leaving. It's no different if you were on the board of directors with a company, if you leave then you don't get access and control of the companies assets.
'Dollarisation'/Currency Substitution would be you're only option but then you wouldn't have any control or input into the currency, which seems a little ironic considering the supposed 'need' for independence.

Terrible analogy. If we leave we will be entitled to our share of the assets and the liabilities. It's a dissolution of a 300+ year old political Union not a staff member leaving a Company.

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
I guess we've evolved a little more and got past the grudges and chipped shoulders

I guess those that are getting the raw deal normally get pissed in any situation, this one is no different....
Rob_Quads

10th Sep 14 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Can you show me one quotation from Salmond which suggests anything, even remotely, close to that?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/scottish-independence/salmond-accused-of-laughing-off-national-debt-with-what-are-they-going-to-do--invade-joke-9723997.html
Hammer

10th Sep 14 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Baskey
Well all parties have gone on record to say there will not be a currency union with Scotland. If you believe them or not is something else.

If Scotland do vote yes then I'm not sure if anything will be mutually beneficial? Or that will even matter when the 2 countries go from being a union to become competitors and try to screw each other over at every oppertunity

[Edited on 10-09-2014 by Baskey]

All parties? Who? Those with a vested interest in the Union remaining?

The Fiscal Commission, a group of independent economists with no political leanings either way, recommend the only way forward would be a formal Currency Union. Of course it will be mutually beneficial, there are hundreds of thousands of businesses which straddle Scotland and England the only way there wouldn't be one agreed was if Westminster cut off their nose to spite their face. Which is something they won't do when push comes to shove - confirmed by Alistair Darling.
Hammer

10th Sep 14 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/scottish-independence/salmond-accused-of-laughing-off-national-debt-with-what-are-they-going-to-do--invade-joke-9723997.html

One quotation...

Point proven regarding misleading headlines.

[Edited on 10-09-2014 by Hammer]
Hammer

10th Sep 14 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
People power you've been watching too much Braveheart.

What relevance does Braveheart have to people power you spastic?

I'm not talking about painting my face and wearing a kilt, I'm talking about galvanising progressive movements throughout the country by showing what can be achieved when a group of people come together to change something they don't agree with.

Nice use of derogatory words there. Real mature

Ditch the patronising act then maybe I won't feel the need to start the stupid insults
Rob_Quads

10th Sep 14 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

One quotation...

What do you want - two? Just google it and you will see it in the telegraph, independent, guardian etc, all those rubbish papers.

Yes he probably said it in jest but its a fine example of he didn't have a real answer to the question so has to try and humour his way out of it
Hammer

10th Sep 14 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

One quotation...

What do you want - two? Just google it and you will see it in the telegraph, independent, guardian etc, all those rubbish papers.

Yes he probably said it in jest but its a fine example of he didn't have a real answer to the question so has to try and humour his way out of it

No, just one.
Dom

10th Sep 14 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
If we leave we will be entitled to our share of the assets and the liabilities.

It's a dissolution of a 300+ year old political Union not a staff member leaving a Company.

Why exactly? I don't believe an independent Scotland is entitled to anything, be it liabilities or other

Tbh, it's quite clear that the reason Salmond is pushing the "we'll pay our fair share" is because a) he's attempting to use it as leverage in gaining control of various assets (currency being the obvious) and b) because he knows that refusing the debt would likely cause issues with lenders and future borrowings.

And how does the length of 'contract' make any actual difference?

quote:
I guess those that are getting the raw deal normally get pissed in any situation, this one is no different....

Curious to know what raw deals northerners, specifically JJ and Yorkshire, are getting that the rest of us southerners aren't
Personally i would say we're all getting shafted as much as each other in England.

[Edited on 10-09-2014 by Dom]
Hammer

10th Sep 14 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Why exactly? I don't believe an independent Scotland is entitled to anything, be it liabilities or other

Tbh, it's quite clear that the reason Salmond is pushing the "we'll pay our fair share" is because a) he's attempting to use it as leverage in gaining control of various assets (currency being the obvious) and b) because he knows that refusing the debt would likely cause issues with lenders and future borrowings.

And how does the length of 'contract' make any actual difference?

Of course it is entitled to its portion of the debt, we helped create it albeit through proxy. It then follows that, equally, we must be entitled to our portion of the assets.

You're just after suggesting he said we won't pay our fair share of the debt, which is it? Or have you realised you've just regurgitated a tabloid headline with no basis?

The length of contract doesn't make any difference is your analogy is flawed, it isn't a contract. It is a Union being dissolved and as such the assets and liabilities should be split fairly.

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Curious to know what raw deals northerners, specifically JJ and Yorkshire, are getting that the rest of us southerners aren't
Personally i would say we're all getting shafted as much as each other in England.

I didn't mention specifics, I said there is a divide and there is. The Parliament resides in London where the decisions are weighted to benefit the markets there.
John

10th Sep 14 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is a massive bias regarding everything towards London. That obviously brings a lot of benefits but it could almost be a country on its own.

Money and power should be spread about a bit (England as well as Scotland). That has to change at some point.
Ojc

10th Sep 14 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with that John, so move to London or a town 20 miles west and enjoy the benefits
John

10th Sep 14 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couldn't think of much I'd rather do less.
Robin
Premium Member

10th Sep 14 at 18:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So if Scotland votes yes, can I still buy haggis on Sainsbury's?
Eck
Premium Member

10th Sep 14 at 18:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can buy things from other countries from Sainsburys then I'd imagine so, Robin.
Ben G

10th Sep 14 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
I agree with that John, so move to London or a town 20 miles west and enjoy the benefits

Yep, can't say I have any problems living 15 miles east of Westminster, although the influx of foreigners is rather daunting.
Cavey

10th Sep 14 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can but it'll cost double due to the import tax

Serious one, what happens with RBS, obviously its a Scottish bank, but its massively tax payer owned?
Pete_vxl

10th Sep 14 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
You can but it'll cost double due to the import tax

Serious one, what happens with RBS, obviously its a Scottish bank, but its massively tax payer owned?

I think there is already a release stating it will move the head office to England.

Interesting to see how many media companies and big businesses side with the no campaign. The last few days have been a total joke with regards to headlines and stories now that the three musketeers have had to come up and actually try and win votes. Makes me think there is a lot of British government run things going on behind closed doors.

Robin
Premium Member

10th Sep 14 at 19:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
If you can buy things from other countries from Sainsburys then I'd imagine so, Robin.

Woot.
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Sep 14 at 20:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pete_vxl
Interesting to see how many media companies and big businesses side with the no campaign. The last few days have been a total joke with regards to headlines and stories now that the three musketeers have had to come up and actually try and win votes. Makes me think there is a lot of British government run things going on behind closed doors.

I don't even think on that matter they're quite so secretive about it. Its obviously a huge administrative overhead to devolve and anyone who has any sense in business would probably avoid it. Ditto the trading conditions afterwards, particularly with all the indecision over currency.

Problem being that those same people with a vested interest are the ones bringing the stories.

<<  11    12    13    14    15    16    17  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Scotland 22 database queries in 0.0216479 seconds