corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Mayweather vs Alvarez

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mayweather vs Alvarez
DC90

User status: Offline
14th Sep 13 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really looking forward to this. Alvarez looks really good but Mayweather's experience will be key. Anybody watching this?
Hammer

14th Sep 13 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't wait, the fight before will be awesome as well.

I can't see past Mayweather personally he will frustrate and spoil Canelo and will more than likely take it on points. Would love Canelo to do it though but I think it's came a couple years too early for him.
Jamie Walby

14th Sep 13 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer

Would love Canelo to do it though but I think it's came a couple years too early for him.

You say that but wasnt he knocking out fully grown men when he turned pro at 15?

43 unbeaten by 23 years of age is very impressive. On paper it reads like Mayweathers toughest opponent for a long long time.

Having said all that its boxing, who know what could happen.

Just hoping for an entertaining fight ultimately!
DC90

14th Sep 13 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah he was completely smashing people when he was 15. Canelo is so powerful I really think he has a good chance of winning but there's a reason mayweather has been at the top for almost as long as Canelo has been alive. It's gonna be bloody excellent
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Sep 13 at 13:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby
43 unbeaten by 23 years of age is very impressive. On paper it reads like Mayweathers toughest opponent for a long long time.

That's an incredible statistic!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Hammer

14th Sep 13 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Canelo is a fantastic boxer but the stats are slightly misleading. Yes he has a similar amount of fights as Mayweather and yes he was knocking out guys from a young age but then so have plenty of Mexican boxers coming through the ranks. They fight journeymen and regularly whereas Mayweather is a prize fighter and has been fighting top level opponents since the 90's when he won the WBC title against Hernandez. Best comparison (in terms of competition) is whilst Mayweather knocked out Ricky Hatton, Canelo decisioned Matthew Hatton.

Don't get me wrong right enough I hope Canelo smashes him, not that I dislike Mayweather but I like Canelo and his style of fighting.
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Sep 13 at 13:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah the Mexican progression ladder seems to be more quantity than quality, I appreciate that.

Even a journeyman Mexican hits bloody hard though, so it's still impressive that he's had so many fights without taking a lucky shot somewhere down the line so he must have something about him!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Hammer

14th Sep 13 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The most impressive part of Canelo's record is his last fight. Big fight in a big arena against an undefeated opponent. Knocked Trout down for the first time in his career and also weathered a couple of storms when Trout was establishing a solid jab. His power told in the last few though and Trout couldn't handle him by then.

That's why I'm saying I think it's come too early for him though, he's had 1 of those fights whilst Mayweather has had a career of them.
Jamie Walby

14th Sep 13 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Canelo is a fantastic boxer but the stats are slightly misleading. Yes he has a similar amount of fights as Mayweather and yes he was knocking out guys from a young age but then so have plenty of Mexican boxers coming through the ranks. They fight journeymen and regularly whereas Mayweather is a prize fighter and has been fighting top level opponents since the 90's when he won the WBC title against Hernandez. Best comparison (in terms of competition) is whilst Mayweather knocked out Ricky Hatton, Canelo decisioned Matthew Hatton.

Don't get me wrong right enough I hope Canelo smashes him, not that I dislike Mayweather but I like Canelo and his style of fighting.

Surely Mayweather would have gone up against a lot of rubbish to begin with as well and Wasnt he only in his early 20s when he got his fist title shot?

End of the day you can only beat whats put in front of you and both have done that their whole careers. Almost a shame that one of them could lose their unbeaten record tonight, unless its a draw which is 20/1 on Sky Bet BTW
Hammer

14th Sep 13 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby
quote:

Surely Mayweather would have gone up against a lot of rubbish to begin with as well and Wasnt he only in his early 20s when he got his fist title shot?

End of the day you can only beat whats put in front of you and both have done that their whole careers. Almost a shame that one of them could lose their unbeaten record tonight, unless its a draw which is 20/1 on Sky Bet BTW

Yeah, Mayweather was roughly the same age as Canelo is just now when he started his proper run but he had less than half the fights of Canelo by that point.

Agreed you can only beat what's put in front of you but that's why the stats are misleading. Saying they've both had a similar amount of fights and wins doesn't tell the full story.

[Edited on 14-09-2013 by Hammer]
Jamie Walby

14th Sep 13 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you reckon you could have either of these in a street fight, Hammer?
Hammer

14th Sep 13 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a world title in half brick usage so, yeah, easily.
Jamie Walby

14th Sep 13 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DC90

14th Sep 13 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So is anybody betting on this?
Hammer

14th Sep 13 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mayweather on points is a cert IMO but the odds on it make it pointless 1.57 on Paddy Power.
Whittie

15th Sep 13 at 03:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got £20 on Mayweather 8th round.

Can't wait for it to start, first two fights have been shit.

Looking forward to Garcia fight starting now, not going to last long!
Eck
Premium Member

15th Sep 13 at 05:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unsurprising victory as already stated above. Mayweather is a hugely talented fighter who made it look easy. Sucks the fun out of fights though
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Sep 13 at 09:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't watch, but I reckon the BBC sport article I read could have been written a few weeks ago as the fight seemed to go down as everyone expected

Crazy good boxer to make these rabid mexicans look so harmless

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Marc

15th Sep 13 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How could Ricky Hatton have gotten his career so wrong when Mayweather got it so right!
Cavey

15th Sep 13 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He fought the best when they were at the top instead of avoiding them?

Can hardly say he got it wrong, he just wasn't as good as the people he went up against
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Sep 13 at 10:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
How could Ricky Hatton have gotten his career so wrong when Mayweather got it so right!

Bit of an odd thing to say I liked Hatton as much as anyone else, but he wasn't in Mayweathers' class.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Marc

15th Sep 13 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not really, I don't recall ever seeing Mayweather abusing his body and getting fat, underestimating the discipline needed for his sport.
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Sep 13 at 11:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh I'm with you now Not sure whether Hatton would have been as good even with more discipline, but it certainly held him back ultimately.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
DC90

15th Sep 13 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mayweather's next fight.....Amir Khan

Edit - according to Mayweather's dad

[Edited on 15-09-2013 by DC90]
Hammer

15th Sep 13 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Amir Khan

Fight went entirely as expected, testament to his conditioning he can do that at 36 but by fuck he is a boring spoiler of a fighter.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Mayweather vs Alvarez 24 database queries in 0.0238111 seconds