corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Wastegate chatter, the truth (essay)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wastegate chatter, the truth (essay)
jr

User status: Offline
8th Apr 05 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bit boring but important as it stops all these people gettign excited over wastegate chatter

writtne by mike rainbird from passion ford btw

WASTEGATES DO NOT CHATTER, WASTEGATES DO NOT "DUMP THE BOOST" WHEN YOU LIFT OFF THE THROTTLE or any other noise that every journalist seems to accuse them of making!

For your information, wastegates dump EXCESS boost pressure in the same way as a pressure release valve on a pressure cooker, i.e. only when it gets to a point that is preprogrammed into the ECU as being too much (being controlled by a sprung loaded actuator and air being bled off / fed to this by an electromechanical solenoid, but that is a totally different kettle of tuna). So a wastegate only dumps boost in full throttle (or heavy load partial throttle) situations. The noise you are actually hearing in your closed throttle scenario (often described as a pigeon noise, or "whoofling" if heavily damped by a factory airbox), is in fact nothing more sinister than turbo stall (or it's correct term, compressor surge). This occurs when the throttle is shut and the air flow produced by the turbo hits the shut butterfly of the throttle body and has nowhere to go but back the way it came (the wrong way through the compressor housing), so the noise you get is the blades of the turbo "chopping" through the air that is bounced back off the closed throttle butterfly. Normally at this point (if fitted) you can hear a "tssssssshhhhh" noise as well, which is the "dump" valve releasing some of this air flow, in an attempt to stop the compressor stalling (and thus trying to reduce the lag when the throttle is reaplied and the turbo has to "spool" back up).
Dom

8th Apr 05 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good post
James R

8th Apr 05 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WRC cars are good for this cause they have antilag instead of a DV so it makes it louder as they are still trying to boost 18psi with the throttle shut.
got to love it
Kerry

8th Apr 05 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so to cut a long story short dump valves are bad and u are better with a recirc
jr

8th Apr 05 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry
so to cut a long story short dump valves are bad and u are better with a recirc

and wastegates dont chatter
Dom

8th Apr 05 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i take it, antilag is something that the ECU has to have? and just having a quick read, i found out that it put huge stress on the exhaust manifold etc - i take it, its not the sort of thing to have on a "every day" car?
CorsAsh

8th Apr 05 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
i take it, antilag is something that the ECU has to have? and just having a quick read, i found out that it put huge stress on the exhaust manifold etc - i take it, its not the sort of thing to have on a "every day" car?

Anti lag involves burning fuel in the exhaust housing to keep the turbine spinning IIRC...
Robbo

8th Apr 05 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So does a re-circ make the tishhhh noise or the horse chatter? Trying to identify re-circ and atmospheric (or whatever the other is called lol)
jr

8th Apr 05 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anitlag i belive is wheen the turbo is spooled up and tickover RPM so there is no lag while accelrating
Kerry

my recirc made a slight chatter but not very loud or noticeable
broster
Premium Member

8th Apr 05 at 20:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

waste gates only work on full throttle dump valves work on closed throttle......simple
Adam-D

i had a dv
i liked the noise more than anything
did make it a little laggy but it was only a small turbo
Dom

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Anti lag involves burning fuel in the exhaust housing to keep the turbine spinning IIRC...

yea, retards the engine when the throttle is closed to keep fuel mixture and values opened (sometihng like that).

Just curious, if its something you could have on an every day car? but it sounds like things will break a lot quicker when using it
Kerry

8th Apr 05 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats why i have a spare
Robbo

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
So does a re-circ make the tishhhh noise or the horse chatter? Trying to identify re-circ and atmospheric (or whatever the other is called lol)
Drew
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by jr
anitlag i belive is wheen the turbo is spooled up and tickover RPM so there is no lag while accelrating

this is correct, thou vibs had to disagree with me and laugh at me when i said this, as he claimed that the turbo couldnt spool without boost, until he did his research and admitted i was correct afterall
Kerry

8th Apr 05 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

chatter
Drew
Banned

8th Apr 05 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

i 1st told u mine sounded like a horse u laughed at me Rob
Robbo

8th Apr 05 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yesh i remember lol

so a re-circ makes a horsey noise like dres and an atmospheric sneezes lol
Dom

8th Apr 05 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Antilag is used to keep the turbo spinning at a high speed even when the engine doesn't need a high volume of air. As a result, when engine does need that increased amount of air, the turbo doesn't have to build up - hence no lag. This is what creates the backfire noise on the rally cars.

How it works

When the driver lifts his foot from the gas pedal the ignition timing is altered with sometimes 40? or more delay (retard) and the intake air and fuel supply mixture is made richer . This results in an air/fuel mixture that keeps getting in the combustion chambers (through an additional bypass valve) when the driver no longer accelerates. The ignition being delayed, the air/fuel mixture reaches the exhaust tubes mostly unburned. When the spark plug fires, the exhaust valve is starting to open due to the ignition delay mentioned above. With the exhaust temperature being extremely high, the unburned fuel explodes on contact of the exhaust tubes close to where the turbo sits and the explosion keeps it turning (otherwise it would slow down since its intake, the exhaust gases, is cut-off). The effect is a vastly lower response times. Antilag puts huge stress on the exhaust manifold and pipes (mounted on a street car a bang-bang system would destroy the exhaust system within 50-100 km)

just read some more and people dont recommend antilag for road use as you will be replacing parts fairly often
jr

8th Apr 05 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

see, eveyone is learning, this post should be topped for educational reasons
Drew
Banned

8th Apr 05 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gt4 wrc's have an antilag option, the turbos are reported to last around 7000 miles, so no, not really a good opion for road use
Dom

8th Apr 05 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
see, eveyone is learning, this post should be topped for educational reasons

aye mate, it is really useful info

although doing some more research, people recon turbos/manifolds dont seem to last longer than a few weeks using antilag
Drew
Banned

8th Apr 05 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

last longer than a few weeks (from what ive read)
jr

8th Apr 05 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Drew
gt4 wrc's have an antilag option, the turbos are reported to last around 7000 miles, so no, not really a good opion for road use

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Wastegate chatter, the truth (essay) 22 database queries in 0.0146530 seconds