corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Rainbow Leds for your MFD

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rainbow Leds for your MFD
Noonster

User status: Offline
12th Sep 03 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ohhh right, im with you now
Paul_J

12th Sep 03 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there any sort of controller for the rainbow lights?

they sound quality.. but it'd be cool if you could stop them when they get to a colour you like and then when you want to entertain - press a button to let it cycle through the colours again!
cobra148

12th Sep 03 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its going to be very difficult to take a pic of these leds with a still camera, it really needs a camcorder to capture the effect. Basically, they slowly change from red to green to blue, then it gets faster and starts flashing between these colours then it slows down and starts again. I've never seen the leds actually fitted in a dash etc, I've only seen them on my bench.

Talking of a controller to vary the speed and pulse etc, it is under investigation at themoment, but its hard to fit it all in the small package, maybe some form of external control, but that will mean extra wiring etc and extra cost.

Talking of the "hotspots" with leds in the Corsa C mfd, this is caused by the led having a concentrated beam of light, most of the light goes forward with very little to the sides. I think the use of diffused leds works here, the light is more evenly spread eliminating that hotspot. Pic below is with mfd fitted with 6.5k diffused leds...
cobra148

12th Sep 03 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If anyone is interested, I can do the rainbow FX leds for £2.25 each, fully made up in an Osram bulb holder, ready to plug and play, poste is included in the price.

I've just seen them on Ebay too, cost £1.85 each, without resistor and holder, plus £1 post, heres the description...

Description

These are the most impressive 5mm LED available.

Each 5mm FX LED contains an ultrabright red green and blue led die. The complete device is the same size as an ordinary 5mm led. Also integrated 'on LED' is a controller which implements cyclic flash and fade routines - the fade routines independently ramping up the intensity of the red green and blue result in a changing hue of light, over and over again - this lamp changes colour!!!.

The result is the most eyecatching and pleasing example of LED technology. These few words cannot do the device justice, nor would still frame photography. The effect is just a profusion of coloured light! Applications to date have been replacing power indicators, filament lamps in bellpushes,garden lights (get a night time colour disco in your garden!), and to make a multicoloured lightbox for crystal ornaments, and distinctive decorations (definitely xmas trimmings later in the year!). Other applications might be replacing single colour LED's in vehicles, and in alarm systems, or anywhere that needs an attention getter, or needs to be jazzy! The effect is such that onlookers are mesmerised by what these can do, and tend to be glued watching these things....

barry_kellett99

12th Sep 03 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use the video function on a digital camera!
cobra148

12th Sep 03 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a JVC digital camcorder but I can't get it to work with XP, it was fine on Windows 98 though.
Richie

12th Sep 03 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine may be able to do it, will try it out when i do the purple and white leds later, didnt get a chance last night

Cobra can u make the leds to fit behind the heater controls? The rainbow ones?
dysonm

12th Sep 03 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can u get them LEDS for where the datew etc is on your dash??
Richie

12th Sep 03 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes he can do them
cobra148

13th Sep 03 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AustinPXX
Mine may be able to do it, will try it out when i do the purple and white leds later, didnt get a chance last night

Cobra can u make the leds to fit behind the heater controls? The rainbow ones?

Yes, I can make them fit behind there, only problem is you would need to solder them in place. If you can't solder (its not difficult) post your panel to me and I could do it for you.

Cheers for the pics, I assume your dash is permanently out at the moment
Munchie

13th Sep 03 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wts ure nochex address
Noonster

13th Sep 03 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really thinking of getting the Blue 6.5k LEDs for my Corsa C...... Also thinking about getting some for the dash, but not too confident about taking it out

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll