corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsas + Oil problems?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsas + Oil problems?
MoNkEy MaGiC

User status: Offline
   16th Aug 03 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

since i had mine, a Gsi "L" reg 80,000miles, its had a oil leak which has suddenly just stopped! but i think this is coz i used to top it up too much!

and lately its been drinking the fcuking oil!! !! i dunno were it goes but i notice wen i redline my car a lot in a driving session the oil level drops??

wat could be wrong and what problems u guys had??

im using GTX 15-40w oil, non synthetic, and apparently this is what is recommended for the engine in a moderate climate.

please help guys with your views and opinions,cheers

[Edited on 16-08-2003 by MoNkEy MaGiC]
jjcymru

17th Aug 03 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

valve stem seals fooked so there oil getting into the cylinders.

Screwing the car will obviously increase oil consumption, so keep it off the redline otherwise the way its going ull be eating head gaskets every day!
MoNkEy MaGiC

17th Aug 03 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi mate,

so how much am i looking at to get it repaired???
miles

17th Aug 03 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it is valve stem seals then you looking at the same amount of work and parts as changing the head gasket. Redlining it wont eat head gaskets.

Check for signs of phyiscal leaks first, and get a compression test done, to see if the rings might be fubar. If the head comes off for the valve stem seals get the bores checked.
M4tt

17th Aug 03 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just outa interest what does cause a head gasket to fail?

i think it is something to do with the cooling system, i.e. if it doesn't get cooled, then it fails.

is this true?

cheers Matt

New Poll