corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Anyone tried separating their headlights?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone tried separating their headlights?
Rob H

User status: Offline
   13th Aug 03 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was thinking of trying to remove the glas from the front of the headlight unit, and then colour code the crome surround. Just wondering if anyones ever tried to seperate the two parts, and the outcome of their trial.

Also if anyone knows a way of splitting the unit without braking it, the info would be much appreciated

Rob
Greasemonkey

13th Aug 03 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its the chrome that reflects the light and makes your see at night if you colour coded the chrome your head lights would be pants and illegal
MattyB

13th Aug 03 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob H
Was thinking of trying to remove the glas from the front of the headlight unit, and then colour code the crome surround. Just wondering if anyones ever tried to seperate the two parts, and the outcome of their trial.

Also if anyone knows a way of splitting the unit without braking it, the info would be much appreciated

Rob

NO......i have done this, and IT WILL NOT work. The glass is sealed in, and trust me, the only way to separate the 2 is with a hammer, then pick out the glass from the sealant round the edge. Oh, and u can re-seal em or buy new glass either.

I've got pics of it all, but theres no point postin em up, coz u really dont wanna even try wot u suggested above.

Matt

(PS: the reason i did it was i used an old headlight casing to make a cold air inlet for goin up santa pod 1/4. Removed the whole air box, and replaced it with aluminium pipe direct from the back of the headlight (the hole used to put new bulbs in etc), stright to the inlet manifold. OH GOSH did it make a difference on the drive up there. At 70mph on the m-way up there, the car was so much more resposive and felt more powerful (and its only a little 1.2!)

Matt
Rob H

13th Aug 03 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was considering putting them in the oven for a few mins or using a heat gun to soften the glue a little maybe? Just looked on zetec-S to see how they do their reflector removal on their headlights, but it seems like the glue used isnt that strong .

I know that Kindness also did a similar thing to his rear clusters on his Supra, whereby he put the lamps in the oven to warm the glue up.

Also considered hacksawing the lamp in two behind where the glass joins the platic, and then glueing them back together afterwards.

[Edited on 13-08-2003 by Rob H]
Rob H

13th Aug 03 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Greasemonkey
its the chrome that reflects the light and makes your see at night if you colour coded the chrome your head lights would be pants and illegal

No you tit the chrome surround, not the chrome reflectors . It'll be the same as what they do for the smoked/blue front lights you can buy for £120 a pair.
MattyB

13th Aug 03 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Erm i doubt it'll be any easy job on these corsa units. It took me an hour with a heat gun, a screw driver and a hammer, and even then i didnt get all the glass out.

Oh, and ur never get a good re-seal after wards. They'll mist up etc and it'll look shit. Just pay the £100 and get proper smoked ones dude.

Matt

(and, and if u REALLY have to, then use the cuttin method)

Matt

New Poll