corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Legal help!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Legal help!
Phil321

User status: Offline
8th Aug 03 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My g/f works at a restaurant part time. Shes a waitress. Anyway, last night the till was down and the manager made all the waitresses refund the till out of their own pockets. Can he legally do this?
Gambit

8th Aug 03 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if she doesnt come in contact with the till then he cant make her pay back for the till being short
Ian
Site Administrator

8th Aug 03 at 11:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably, he could probably argue that they're employed to keep accurate transactions and the till being down means they're not doing the job. This is common practise as far as I'm aware.

Edit - assuming she uses the till of course!

[Edited on 08-08-2003 by Ian]
Phil321

8th Aug 03 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

She did use the till, but surely he can't legally make her pay for what could quite possibly have been the mistakes of others?
Gambit

8th Aug 03 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but there is no way of proving who made the mistake, so all are at fault
Craig6682

8th Aug 03 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to work in a shop and the boss made it clear that if the till was down then it would come out of my wages. I think he legally had to say this but he never took the money out of my wages.
stubbsy05

8th Aug 03 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I worked at Burger King the tills were down now and again. I know a couple of people had the money taken out of their wages. Mine was never really down but when it was I just flirted with the manageress :wink: Didn't hear anymore from that!
Phil321

8th Aug 03 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gambit
but there is no way of proving who made the mistake, so all are at fault

Is this true? Surely if something goes wrong all cannot be to blame. She is not responsible for the work of others. If this was true, wouldn't it also be true that if there were four suspects for a murder and the police could not prove which one actually did it, they could just lock up all four?
Foz

8th Aug 03 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats life im afraid.
Donna Corsa GSi

8th Aug 03 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think they can take the money from everyone. I would think they would have to find out who stole the money before they took it back.

But at the end of the day what can she do about it apart from moan at him. Its not like shes going to take him to court for a couple of quid. The only thing she could do if she was unhappy wiv it, is leave her job.
Phil321

8th Aug 03 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very true Donna. Its not just a couple of quid though, and its happening every day. I don't think anyones stealing, but its a new restaurant and the staff are not experienced. I just don't think its fair that they take money off her.
stubbsy05

8th Aug 03 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't stand for it. Suggest having one person using the till and staying on it.
Donna Corsa GSi

8th Aug 03 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I totally agree it is completely unfair. I work for a firm of accountants and our petty cash tin is still out every month. Its not due to steeling, its just one of those things. I used to work in a shop and there always used to be tills out, but they never done anything about it. If u were out by over £100 you used to get a bollocking but thats it. If the manager has a problem with the till being out he should do something about it rather then just result to taking the money from his staff, if h continues to do that then he'll end up with no staff.
Donna Corsa GSi

8th Aug 03 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I worked there I would approach the manager about the situation. I would say that a solution to the problem needs to be found because human error is always going to occur and it is not fair that everyone has to be punished for other peoples mistakes. i would also contact citizens advice to see whether he is in his right to take money from the staff.
Phil321

8th Aug 03 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the advice. I will speak to citizens advice. I will suggest she speaks to the other staff about it too and theres a better chance their opinions will be heard if they all complain.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Legal help! 23 database queries in 0.0142500 seconds