corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Regional Groups & Events » North East » NORTHERN ECHO ARTICLE ON BISH CAR PARK CLOSURE

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author NORTHERN ECHO ARTICLE ON BISH CAR PARK CLOSURE
sxi boy

User status: Offline
4th Aug 03 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.thisisthenortheast.co.uk/the_north_east/news/NEWS12.html

quote:
northern echo
Police block car park to stop 'cruises'
POLICE blocked the entrance to a town centre car park last night to stop "car cruises" which have led to illegal racing on public roads.

Dozens of drivers regularly congregate in the North Bondgate car park, in Bishop Auckland, County Durham, on Sunday nights, which some use as a starting point for speed contests across a nearby viaduct.

Residents have complain-ed for months about the gatherings, similar to those held on industrial estates and other open spaces around the region.

Information on the cruises is passed on through Internet websites and chat rooms and police acknowledge that most drivers do not break the law, meeting other car fans to display their motors.

In Bishop Auckland, several drivers have been prosecuted for offences, including careless driving, and others have been issued with fixed penalty tickets.

But this has not proved a sufficient deterrent, so owner Wear Valley District Council was asked to close the car park overnight, from 6pm.

By 8.30pm last night, about 100 cars had gathered outside Morrison's supermarket, but there were not believed to have been any arrests.

Inspector Ivan Wood, of Bishop Auckland police, said: "This has been a long- running problem. We have tried education and advice, we have issued leaflets to all the drivers, and we have prosecuted those we have seen committing offences on the road.

"We have told them we support their right to lawful assembly, but we will not condone anti-social behaviour or the flouting of road traffic law. We have had reports of cars doing handbrake turns in the car park and even someone setting up an amplifier and speakers for an open-air disco late at night.

"This is a residential area and we have had a large number of complaints."

Paula Jo Barker, who lives next to the car park, said: "The problem is that the minority have spoiled things for the majority."

Cruiser Andy Potts, from Ferryhill, warned that drivers may just move to another site.

He said: "What I do not understand is what the real threat is of many people sat in a car park."

make ur feeling known on this matter here: http://www.bish-cruise.co.uk
Drew
Banned

4th Aug 03 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Information on the cruises is passed on through Internet websites and chat rooms and police acknowledge that most drivers do not break the law, meeting other car fans to display their motors.

oops - http://corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=80904

quote:
In Bishop Auckland, several drivers have been prosecuted for offences, including careless driving, and others have been issued with fixed penalty tickets.

if they can catch ya

quote:
By 8.30pm last night, about 100 cars had gathered outside Morrison's supermarket, but there were not believed to have been any arrests.

i was there

quote:

We have had reports of cars doing handbrake turns in the car park

hmmm - dont think so in last car park, not enuff space, but in new one

quote:

Cruiser Andy Potts, from Ferryhill, warned that drivers may just move to another site.

very true - as shown last nite
sxi boy

4th Aug 03 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

long live bish car parks
corsa cutie

5th Aug 03 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, they are the place to be on a sun nite like, i been up a fair few times now even when was still learning!
chillout

5th Aug 03 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[and even someone setting up an amplifier and speakers for an open-air disco late at night.] i hope that was not me lol!
corsa cutie

5th Aug 03 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol - will! tut tut - shame on you! lol
sxi boy

5th Aug 03 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

@ chillout
chillout

6th Aug 03 at 07:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sxi boy

6th Aug 03 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not guna stop u tho is it?
Corsa666

7th Aug 03 at 06:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

chillout that weren't u lol.... but i know what they are referring too... and there was a new article too .... brb ....
Corsa666

7th Aug 03 at 06:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

... here it is :

http://www.thisisthenortheast.co.uk/the_north_east/archive/2003/08/05/A8k410.wv.html
chillout

7th Aug 03 at 07:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sxi boy
not guna stop u tho is it?

never

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Regional Groups & Events » North East » NORTHERN ECHO ARTICLE ON BISH CAR PARK CLOSURE 24 database queries in 0.0148790 seconds