corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Pipercross Viper ETC

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Pipercross Viper ETC
vibrio
Banned

User status: Offline
21st Jul 03 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would also like to point out that the rolling road has a fan infront of it blowing air into the car at probably around 50-80mph. not think of that when your actually driving. your not going to get an 80mph wind in 1st, 2nd, or low rev3rd gear. therefor the viper is gettign coldairchoved into it at a speed which is not correct for the speed of the car. also in normal driving the viper will be restricktive because of the opening and the length of pipe going into it.

[Edited on 21-07-2003 by vibrio]
StuartVRS

21st Jul 03 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joff
Viper would be the exact same fitment as any other Pipercross so if you're having problems, best get on the phone to Pipercross who'll help you to fit it.

Prices are £200/£250 depending on if your application uses the cold air feed.

Sounds a lot better than a typical induction kit IMHO. Normal cones are just noise, but sealed units resonate and give a nice warble.

Proven power gains from the Viper on a number of applications and other than a panel filter, are the only type of induction kit that work on awkward engines like the C20XE that hesitates and kangaroo's when sucking in hot air.

Fitment was crap, i had both, normal pipercross = perfect fit
Viper = terrible fit, and phoning pipercross would not help as when you purchase the filter, you get a rubber grip bit onto which you slide the filter, i had 3 of these on and it still slipped off easily.

Viper price does not depend on whether you use the cold air feed application mate, mine was 250 quid without it, so was my mates uno turbo as was my old fiesta zetec and none has feed pipe.
Joff

13th Feb 04 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Then you need to have words with whoever you bought the filter off.

The Viper for the Uno is a VFC018 - the "C" part of the code determines whether the kit includes a cold air feed or not.

What size engine was in your Fiesta?
The 1.6 Si is a VF097 so doesn't have a cold air feed, whereas a 1.25i Zetec is either a VFC200 or a VFC127 - both with cold air feeds.

The fitting kit for both is identical with the exception of kits such as the New Mini that has a heat shield on the std PK kit but obviously doesn't need this for the Viper.
StuartVRS

13th Feb 04 at 00:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it turns out the uno shouldnt have had one, the fiesta was 1.25 and should have had one, i got a refund on the audi's one.
CRB 553

13th Feb 04 at 01:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the viper is clearly better than a standard airbox in terms of performance, whether it is a waste of money or not depends on the buyer, the airbox mod is better bhp /pound but stil wont achieve the same

al get sum vids of the viper making a noise for whoeva wanted it.....doesnt make any noise at idle though like most, u can here iut sucking when u rev though!!
Joff

13th Feb 04 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, Pipercross have proven results showing the cold air feed isn't restrictive up to 300bhp.

They've not tested it beyond that but obviously there must be a point where the cold air feed is an issue.. but I don't think anyone on here's really got to worry about
Marc

13th Feb 04 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Induction kits are shite.
Daimo B

13th Feb 04 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I ahve a Vip[er on my 20XE.

Opinions:

Much quieter than the Green ind kit i had. POwer seems to hold back till about 3500rpm when it picks up and just goes somewhat. Not as much of a noise, bad news for tunnels.

But, stopped any jumping in the engine when its cold, dont have to rev it more when cold.

And for £70 second hand, i really really can't complain I wouldn't pay £250 for it though.

I have to cut mine down to fit as it came out of an Astra GTE and the inlet nozzle was far too long.

Daimo B

13th Feb 04 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, and unless you have one on your car or have driven cars with one before and after, you have no basis for comparison and are just moaning.
vibrio
Banned

13th Feb 04 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Also, Pipercross have proven results showing the cold air feed isn't restrictive up to 300bhp.

They've not tested it beyond that but obviously there must be a point where the cold air feed is an issue.. but I don't think anyone on here's really got to worry about

turbo cars like to suck air, closed airfilters restrict boost compared to an open air filter. decent cold air feeds are the important things. when your driving along the road at 60mph air is getting shoved in at 60mph. that is a lot of air going in and around the filter.
Joff

13th Feb 04 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The above restriction test was carried out on a modified Focus RS.
vibrio
Banned

13th Feb 04 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The above restriction test was carried out on a modified Focus RS.

the above test was flawed

Joff

13th Feb 04 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, it was carried out with the same control of variables as you would expect to have in your line of work.

Ok, it was flawed.
vibrio
Banned

13th Feb 04 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
No, it was carried out with the same control of variables as you would expect to have in your line of work.

Ok, it was flawed.

yes I was going to say
Joff

13th Feb 04 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, it was only flawed based on your own work being a waste of time.

Polymerase my ass.
vibrio
Banned

13th Feb 04 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would require a poof reading thermophilic polymerase for that
Joff

13th Feb 04 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I only have mesophilic
corsa120

13th Feb 04 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

piperx is a nice filter BUT come on guys you cannot notice the performance from one filter to the next i agree with the affects joff said like jerking etc but if one person had a k&N and then swopped for a piperx sorry but u would not notice the difference it would not be enough to notice on the ROAD, check it peeps im not saying it wont give power im saying it will not give enough to be noticable if u really think this about filters u must be dum enough to think power boost valves actually give power lol

and all you are really paying for is a posh standard air cylinder with a filter may aswell save £££££'s and drill air box with a panel, i dont believe it makes that much difference, also the statement about wind being forced into the front is also true its not a true effect

check marks (brosters) car he has viper/inlet/zorst/chip etc etc and only pushing 109bhp not getting at ur car lol its good but if the viper was so good with what he's done he would be reading slightly more as viper claims quite a few BHP'S an sorry but its SALES BULLSHIT
Joff

13th Feb 04 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can certainly notice the performance of one filter against another, in terms of air flow.

Each air filter flows different amounts of air so obviously you'll get different characteristics from each type of filter.

Power increases should be classed as a by product of having a less-restrictive air filter, not the sole reason for buying an induction kit.

109bhp from an X14XE is a very good result from what is essentially only breather modifications. He's got no internal modifications to the engine, only a different engine map which as he's said in the past is a load of crap.

Yes at the end of the day it's just an enclosed filter, but I'm not waxing lyrical about the product but the method in which the filter is used.

No doubt some applications see a loss, but certainly the best performing cars with a Viper are the Saxo VTS and Focus Zetec. Pipercross quote these figures in their marketing as do all filter manufacturers - they'd be stupid not to.
If your company had a chocolate bar that as a side effect, helped you lose weight, cure all known forms of cancer and solved world hunger then you'd be a fool to sell it on being packed full of peanuts with a caramel and wafer layer.

Greasemonkey

14th Feb 04 at 00:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a piper cross viper induction kit, the fit is perfect, there aint a chance in hell its coming off heres an old pic, it sounds good i think, better than induction kit, im interested mainly in power gains so every little counts, if the viper only gives 4bhp over an unseald kit its still 4bhp

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Pipercross Viper ETC 23 database queries in 0.0136471 seconds