corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Help! why is my fan not cutting in

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Help! why is my fan not cutting in
WaNtEd_CoRsA

User status: Offline
   6th Jul 03 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a prob with my gsi - the fan does not cut in when warm so the temp keeps going up and up nr to red only dunt go to red coz i stop car! why is this i have checked fuse in fuse box and that ok - what else could it be do i need to top water up??? please help
WaNtEd_CoRsA

6th Jul 03 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ttt
combat_sri

6th Jul 03 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could be the thermostat sticking,get it checked out.
Black Corsa SRi

6th Jul 03 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a similar prob a while ago:

It could be that u need to fill the coolant up yeah, is it at the max level in the expansion tank when the enigne is cold? Becuase otherwise if the coolant isnt reaching the level of the temp sensor for the fan in the radiator it will not sense that the coolant is getting too hot and so wont kick the fan in.

Also have u checked the wiring to the fan itself? ie that none of the wires are damaged or anything? u can also make sure the fan itself is working by unpluging the electrical connector tot he fan (it can be difficult to get to though) and puttin a bit of wire between two of the conectors (sorry cant rember which two! anyone??) so that the fan shoudl come on all the time then u know the fan itself is working, but try the rest of the things 1st then if it still doesnt work try this! LOL

hope this helps!

oh and if u try everthing i said and the fan does kick in when u bridge the connectors it could also be that the temp sensor for the fan itself isnt working which if it is the same as my SRi, which i assume it will be it it a pain to change as its on the radiator so i think u have to drain the coolant etc, but could be wrong on that cant remember!
WaNtEd_CoRsA

6th Jul 03 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wereabout exaxtly is the thermostat
Black Corsa SRi

6th Jul 03 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by combat_sri
could be the thermostat sticking,get it checked out.

it could be the thermostat. to test this i'd just let the engine get warm and see if the exit pipe from the radiator 9(the one on the left hand side of the rad) is warm and also the rest of the pipes are warm. also if this was the case the engine would pretty likely be overheating when driving normally as the coolant wouldnt be getting cooled at all, if its just happening when u r stood still i'd suggest not, but again i could be wrong! if the pipes r cold BTW it'd suggest that the temostat isnt opening and that could be your prob
WaNtEd_CoRsA

6th Jul 03 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers but wereabout exatly is the thermostat
Black Corsa SRi

6th Jul 03 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u'd be best check it the way i said 1st cause u have to drain the coolant to get it out and test it the boiling water way! Its on the cylinder head, and u have to remove the thermostat housing and the the timing belt cover etc to get to it according to the haynes manual, although i've never done this job myself! (luckily my prob wasnt the thermostat) u best to look in the haynes manual it makes it clearer than i can! But trust me its a pain to get to i'd try the other easier things 1st i'd say they more likley anyway! But thats only my opinion! LOL

[Edited on 06-07-2003 by Black Corsa SRi]
DODG-E

6th Jul 03 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check the sensor/sender.... happened to mine changed the sensor it works now.....
WaNtEd_CoRsA

6th Jul 03 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

were is the sensor please mate
Black Corsa SRi

6th Jul 03 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its on the radiator! is what senses the coolant temp!
miles

6th Jul 03 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unlikely that it will be the thermostat.

It is very likely to be the fan switch. This is in the bottom corner of the radiator (if its the same as a nova) You dont have to drain the coolent to change it, you just have to be quick so that hardly any spills out. I changed mine yesterday. Cost £9.

The thermostat (opens when the engine has reached operating temp so start cooling using the rad) is positioned just before the large top radiator hose, attached to the head.

Check that the fan works, by joinging the 2 pins on the fan switch connector. If it works change the fan switch.

New Poll