corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » scuttle problems

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author scuttle problems
3CorsaMeal

User status: Offline
10th Jun 03 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can't get my standard scuttle colour coded cos of the fine detail/little holes everywhere. Can't leave it black cos it will look crap and out of place.

So i guess i have to buy another one, but have heard time and time again about smooth scuttles that don't fit properly...

Is there a quality one out there?

if i get normal one built up with fibreglass/filler will it crack in time?, plus i don't want any filler on the car.....

JKGSI

10th Jun 03 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

U can colour code your orignal one, just need rub it down best you can then use good quality plastic primer.
Sam
Premium Member

10th Jun 03 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to spend A LOT of time sanding it down using various types of sand paper till you get rid of the 'orange peel effect'.

This is what I had to do on the Corsa, and because I had a single wiper on it, I used some mesh, and P38/P40 to fill the hole, once it was all sprayed up and that it looked wicked!
cobra148

10th Jun 03 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why can't you colour code the original, I'm not sure what you mean by fine detailing and lots of little holes?

I've bought two smooth scuttles in the past, both were so bad a fit, that two different bodyshops wouldn't touch them. In the end I did my own, the vent holes are filled with P38 plastic padding, been done over a year now with no problems..
ajscorsa

10th Jun 03 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was thinking about cutting my scuttle and color coding and meshing it. would that work.
3CorsaMeal

10th Jun 03 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cos of all those small holes and edges, if will be hard to get a decent key on the small edges of plastic, and in time, it woould flake off.

cobra

thats the sort of thing, do u get any prob's from not having any air flow?

what it p38 plastic padding? is it like a filler, that u smear on and sand?
cobra148

10th Jun 03 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just spend ages rubbing it down, that part took me longer to do than the rest of it.
Theres no problem with restricted air flow because it isn't actually an air intake, take your scuttle off and take a look, you'll see what I mean.
P38, is a filler that will still flex a little after hardening so is less prone to cracks etc.
Even if you don't fill the holes, its no great problem to just prepare and paint the scuttle as it is. There was a guy in classifieds selling scuttle panels ready painted if you don't feel confident enough to try yourself.
3CorsaMeal

10th Jun 03 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

am getting a pro to spray it, he said, "he could spray if, but wouldn' t guarantee it would stay nice forever"

Spose he just being honest.

so did u just whack the filler over the holes and it don't fall thru?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

10th Jun 03 at 10:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm tempted to get a scuttle from vaux for me corsa c and c/c it, dont feel brave enough to do my original. Dunno if I'm being stupid but doesnt the panel have slits in it so water can run down through the car and out?
cobra148

10th Jun 03 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I put some very fine wire gauze on the underside and pressed the filler in through the top. The filler that oozed through the gauze I spread underneath. Kind of like a sandwitch with the scuttle as the filling.

Willay, your right about the water, it drains away ok in the rain, but after washing the car, I have a little pool of soap suds still on the scuttle. A quick wipe with a sponge sorts that though.
3CorsaMeal

10th Jun 03 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u been a gr8 help cobra

the smooth scuttles u brought, what ones were they? who from?
cobra148

10th Jun 03 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure if this pic will work but this was my second one, I'll u2u details
GIBBS

10th Jun 03 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
am getting a pro to spray it, he said, "he could spray if, but wouldn' t guarantee it would stay nice forever"

Spose he just being honest.

so did u just whack the filler over the holes and it don't fall thru?

he's not a pro if he said that. my old corsa had scuttle sprayed no problems whatsoever with it flaking etc..
3CorsaMeal

10th Jun 03 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he is a very good bloke, it said it might be fine, but told me honestly that there is some chance it might not key, or might come off under pressure Ie: jetwash. not that i'll be using one.
i would rather have peace of mind, would be fcuked off if it did flake after getting the whole colour of car spot on

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » scuttle problems 23 database queries in 0.0083289 seconds