corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Tech Q regarding my PC (another one)...........

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tech Q regarding my PC (another one)...........
viera

User status: Offline
23rd May 03 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alright lads,

I know this is a Corsa site and all that but i don't know where to find the answer to this one.........

last time i was having problems i mentioned that i had Windows ME, which people told me was wank....so i got a copy of the XP home edition, i installed this on top of ME (as if it went wrong i could return to how i was). This is where the problems started,

1st (and main) problem is that when XP was installed, none of my USB ports worked, which was really anoying as my keyboard and mouse run through USB and they didn't work at all. So i temporarily got a PS2 mouse/kboard and these worked fine. When XP booted up, i pluged in the USB Kboard and mouse and they worked until i shut down, and i had to do the same, so i went to MS website and downloaded all the driver/software updates i needed, and this made no difference.

2nd problem was when i shut the PC down, it came up with the "safe to turn off" but didn't actually turn off itself and i can't manually turn my PC off apart from power supply, any idea what was wrong here??

Do I need to do anything to my MB. It is now unistalled for the moment by the way.

Sorry for the long essay guys, but if you can't help, can you tell my where i might get my answers as this is bugging me!!

Let me know if any more info reg my PC is needed.......

Cheers.
V
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

23rd May 03 at 20:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you upgrade ME or do a clean install of XP, ie formatted drive then installed XP onto it? Alot of problems can come about from upgrading the OS and not formating/installing.

viera

23rd May 03 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Willay, yes me again, i upgraded over the top mate, as like i said, if it went wrong, as it did, i could return back to normal and try again when problems are sorted. Glad i did now....
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

23rd May 03 at 20:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try and get a mate round who knows how to do it all and sort it. Like i said upgrades normally end up in fuckage.
david dickson

23rd May 03 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To sort the switching off problem...
click on Start, go to Control Panel
Go to Petrformance and Maintenance, then Power Options
Click on the APM tab
click to select the option Enable Advanced Power Management
click ok.
should work now.
viera

23rd May 03 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by david dickson
To sort the switching off problem...
click on Start, go to Control Panel
Go to Petrformance and Maintenance, then Power Options
Click on the APM tab
click to select the option Enable Advanced Power Management
click ok.
should work now.

Ill give that a try, thanks mate.
bobothebear

23rd May 03 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

True ME is fairly wank, but XP is shite beyond shite. Takes away any control you have over your PC. Takes up 3 Gig of space(All desktop themes!!)and slows your computer by about 200 times.Windows 2000 is by far the nicest O/S or even 98.

If you hold the power button down for 5 seconds it will switch off the computer.

The 1st problem is a weird one. Are the USB ports activated in your bios? It sounds like they are already tho.
Does XP display the USB periperals as active in your System Properties/Control Panel.
viera

23rd May 03 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bobothebear

If you hold the power button down for 5 seconds it will switch off the computer.

i would if i could get my second problem sorted

Thanks bobothebear, the wird thing is that my mouse and kboard work when i plug them in after i boot up, not before, i would have thought the USB were active after booting up, but not before. (when i say booted up, i mean when XP has fully loaded).

[Edited on 23-05-2003 by viera]
IntaCepta

23rd May 03 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the auto power off after shutdown can be done by editing the windows registry..

never install / upgrade an OS..
always format and clean install.
Just back everything up, clean install ur new OS, if it messes, clean install ur old OS.

and XP isn't all that.. win2000 is a better choice.
Trucido

21st Mar 04 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

everyone says that 98 and 2k is faster etc but all you get is blue screens telling u that somethings fk'd...xp has never given me a error in over a year and has performed just the same as 98 and is more compatable with components such as digi cams etc.

I've also been told but im not sure that it supports games better than other O/S's

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Tech Q regarding my PC (another one)........... 23 database queries in 0.0090730 seconds