corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Playstation 3 hard drive

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Playstation 3 hard drive
gavin18787
Premium Member

User status: Offline
15th Apr 20 at 19:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is probably classed as retro gaming now days

Dug mine out due to some spare time locked down at home.
Mine is a slim one with the flash storage only. Was fine when I only played GT on it, ie the only game I own. However someone at work has given me some other games to have a go at but I cant use them as they needs storage space.
Assuming I get a suitable 2.5inch hard drive cradle can I just use a cheap HDD from another PS3? As there are numerous cheap ones on ebay.

I know there are a few tech savey people on here.

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Neo

User status: Offline
24th Jun 20 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wasn't sure but this seems to suggest my incling:

The 12GB PS3 doesn't come with an internal HDD cage so you need this if you plan on adding a hard disk to the 12GB model.

This is an official Sony version it comes with instructions, 5 screws (four larger ones for attaching the hard drive, one small one to secure the cage in the PS3) You have 4 rubber grommets to attach to the 4 holes this helps keep noise/vibration down though 2.5" hard drives are fairly quiet anyway.

Put the rubber grommets on the 4 holes you should make sure the rubber is on both sides (inside and out there is a groove in each grommet) Screw in the hard drive with the connectors facing away from the metal tab where you fix it to the PS3

To install the cage: (turn off the PS3)
1: Put the PS3 on it's side with the Blu ray disc drive closest to you (the right hand side of the PS3), push and slide the cover in the direction away from you towards the back of the PS3, you don't need a screwdriver it just pops off
2: Slot in the hard drive and cage and use the single screw to attach the tab of the cage to the mounting bracket
3: Power on the PS3, the 12GB slim model will then prompt you automatically if you want to use the HDD for storage click yes it formats the drive and will then start copying the data from the internal flash memory to the hard disk
4: Go away and make a cup of tea for 10-15 mins or so to allow it to copy the data and it's ready to roll, PS3 12GB upgraded to hard disk drive.

If you ever remove/change the hard drive then the system will default to the internal flash memory so make sure to back up your data.

In terms of the bracket it's a simple pressed metal affair but it's cheap, easy to install and does the job just great.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PlayStation-Replacement-Drive-Mounting-Bracket/dp/B009CV1OVC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

It also implies you can use any 2.5 inch laptop drive (9.5mm internal height) so find one for cheap on amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/TCSUNBOW-240GB-SATAIII-Internal-Notebook/dp/B06ZZFZPPS/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=2.5inch%2Bssd%2Bhard%2Bdrive&qid=1593013263&sr=8-9&th=1)

New Poll