corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Fibre Broadband

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fibre Broadband
Norcy91

User status: Offline
23rd Dec 16 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having recently caught up with 90% of the UK, we can now get fibre broadband in our village instead of the 1.4mb broadband I've been getting for the last 2 years! We've been with BT since we moved in, got a very good deal as a new customer, but now the contract/deal has come to an end, it is now £40 a month for unlimited broadband, line rental and BT Sport pack. I rang them to upgrade to the Inifinty 2 package, but they want £52 a month!
I've looked around and can get unlimited 76mb fibre with Plusnet for £30 a month inc line rental, but have read mixed reviews about their service. Anyone on here that uses them?
I've also looked into Sky, Talk Talk, anything else that is on offer... Virgin is not an option in my area either.
What does everyone have/recommend?
I was thinking of going with Sky but can't be bothered with the hassle of getting a sky dish/tv box installed as the cheapest packages seem to come in a TV bundle!
Bart

24th Dec 16 at 07:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plusnet are fine and tend to be one of the better ones.
Customer service is much better than most imo.

I'm with Sky but was with Plusnet for around 10 years
Tiger

24th Dec 16 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My house is 18 months old now and they never thought to install fibre on the brand new estate, pretty frustrating really. My internet is slower than I had with NTL in about 2002.
Haimsey
Premium Member

24th Dec 16 at 20:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
My house is 18 months old now and they never thought to install fibre on the brand new estate, pretty frustrating really. My internet is slower than I had with NTL in about 2002.

Same for us. 4 year old house and I've only just managed to get fibre. 1.2mb internet has driven me mad for 3 years.

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
Steve
Premium Member

24th Dec 16 at 21:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got plusnet long wait times for support but at least they are English speaking!
Steve
Premium Member

24th Dec 16 at 21:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Mine is 6 months old and has no fibre to the estate. It's not the developers who install it its open reach and they have a specific upgrade plan for your town or city. If anything ours will be one of the last to get it.
Jimbothebarbarian

25th Dec 16 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just got fibre this week. I just stayed with BT was an extra £2 a month so I wasn't arsed. But my god the difference is incredible.

I also got a couple of the SIM cards but the reception is shockingly poor. Unfortunately BT don't seem to do a signal booster. Twunts.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

25th Dec 16 at 16:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't move to talk talk awful company. Poor customer service
Norcy91

25th Dec 16 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rang BT up to cancel my order as I could get it much cheaper with Plusnet, 5 minutes later he could knock another £13 a month off.
kz

26th Dec 16 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm with TalkTalk at the moment and they're bloody awful! It's now been 1 month and 3 days since I complained about internet and phone downage... and they still haven't fixed it. Even sent out an engineer that made it slightly better but it still drops out once or twice a day (my phone line however has been down for almost a week now)

They just keep asking me the same questions over and over again and say we know you have a problem and are working to fix it... thanks, arseholes.

Will definitely be leaving come renewal time (unfortunately not until next September) and going with Virgin if they're in my street by then, or if not, Sky.

I've had EE before and actually they weren't too bad. a Few problems over the years but they always fixed it quickly and sent out free new routers and even boosted my internet speed twice at no extra cost.

Before that I had PlusNet which although didn't give bad service, leaving them was ridiculous... really had to put up a fight! And had to wait 6 weeks for a PUK code or whatever it is (I think that's for mobiles, but there used to be a BB equivalent) and it meant I didn't have any internet for all that time, which really put me off the company.
Tiger

26th Dec 16 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
I'm with TalkTalk at the moment and they're bloody awful! It's now been 1 month and 3 days since I complained about internet and phone downage... and they still haven't fixed it. Even sent out an engineer that made it slightly better but it still drops out once or twice a day (my phone line however has been down for almost a week now)

They just keep asking me the same questions over and over again and say we know you have a problem and are working to fix it... thanks, arseholes.

Will definitely be leaving come renewal time (unfortunately not until next September) and going with Virgin if they're in my street by then, or if not, Sky.

I've had EE before and actually they weren't too bad. a Few problems over the years but they always fixed it quickly and sent out free new routers and even boosted my internet speed twice at no extra cost.

Before that I had PlusNet which although didn't give bad service, leaving them was ridiculous... really had to put up a fight! And had to wait 6 weeks for a PUK code or whatever it is (I think that's for mobiles, but there used to be a BB equivalent) and it meant I didn't have any internet for all that time, which really put me off the company.

Ask them to change your profile to 6bB, you've probably got intermittent sync.
Andrew

26th Dec 16 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Recently changed from Sky Fibre to Vodafone Fibre. Costs £22 a month all in.

Can't complain at all, was sorted at local Vodafone shop and just works.

Granted I've replaced the Vodafone router with a Draytek 2860.

[Edited on 26-12-2016 by Andrew]
taylorboosh

28th Dec 16 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kz

Ask them to change your profile to 6bB, you've probably got intermittent sync.

Lol that is a stupid statement without knowing his line length or quality.... no point in randomly changing snr
Tiger

29th Dec 16 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems to be a common starting point for a number of intermittent sync issues.

I'll rephrase it though for you:

Norcy91 - Ask TalkTalk if they could change your profile to a more stable one. It might slow your speed down slightly but should give you better stability.
taylorboosh

29th Dec 16 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol its what the helmet engineers do... sorts it for a few weeks until the line destabilises itself...

There is almost always a cause for snr to change... ie a hard fault
kz

31st Dec 16 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well mine turned out to be a semi-crushed cable in my attic... that they couldn't trace without ripping my wall apart, so just re-wired it to bypass that section.

I was full speed ahead after that!

For 24 hours at least, now I'm back to losing 10Mb/s and have lost connection again for one session (as I call it - which seem to last about half an hour)

Tempted to just try another router, but kind of begrudge paying for one.
taylorboosh

31st Dec 16 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will be stabilising for 10 days so speed should vary slightly... should drop out maybe once ir twice but come right back on

Sounds faulty still

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Fibre Broadband 24 database queries in 0.0139611 seconds