corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Private plate help please

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Private plate help please
Jakey
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Sep 16 at 18:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Long story short I sold my old car with my private plate on and buyer said he would send the logbook off for me when he received it back. It never happened and I kind of forgot about it.

Digging through old paperwork I've found the DVLA Receipt for said plate. Askmid says it's not insured and .gov website says its not on the car I sold it on.

Do I have a leg to stand on to say I still own the plate and can get it back or have I got a piece of worthless paper?

Thanks
AndyCorsaSport

27th Sep 16 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If he's transferred the car into his name, and then removed the plate, I'm pretty sure the plate will go to him. As it was on the car he owned.

Should have taken it off before selling it! You need a retention document to say you own it so think your receipt is worthless!
DaveyLC

27th Sep 16 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have no legal right to the plate now and you just have to rely on his good will.
Jakey
Premium Member

27th Sep 16 at 18:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was in a bad place at the time, just come out of hospital and no help to sell it.

I was under the impression I had lost it but with finding the receipt I was just being optimistic.
richardworrall
Premium Member

27th Sep 16 at 19:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If hes changed the plate to an 'age related'/previous plate normally the personal plate will just surrendered and drop into the DVLA personal plate section for buying again, unless you have the original retention document/ownership document.
Jakey
Premium Member

27th Sep 16 at 19:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have the original document here. The plate isn't on the DVLA website either?
kennySRi

27th Sep 16 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Legally the plate will belong to the car owner but as said if he has put the car back to a standard plate and requested that he doesn't want the private plate then you'll need to ring dvla to see how to go about buying it, probably at an auction.
Simon_16v

28th Sep 16 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When the logbook was sent off and when he removed it from the car he will have been issued with the retention documents and they will be in his name too.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Private plate help please 23 database queries in 0.0132911 seconds