corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » London commuting from oop North

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author London commuting from oop North
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
19th Sep 16 at 19:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
FUCK THAT! I hope they are paying you LOTS of wodge.

Not today I didn't, turning up at lunch time n' all

quote:
Originally posted by willay
mate, the fucking car park at Epping is a joke. What time did u get there?

I had to use epping the other day because the overland trains were buggered and all the roadworks near the station, what a mission

Probably got to Epping at 10, should have been 08:30

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
Don't discount Peterborough. Fast train / intercity thing to London Kings Cross. On the A1(M) before the traffic gets shite at A14, Black Cat and Stevenage.

This is a pretty good shout. The Peterborough train is actually the same train I get from home - but costs £200 from home and £40 from Peterborough... so the 120ish mile drive is a reasonable sacrifice and I NEVER get traffic prior to Peterborough. Will consider that fosho!

I think next week I'm gonna drive down on Sunday just to avoid the drama, can chill out when driving on a night and stop for as many shit breaks as I want. Loses a night of the weekend, but meh - it's only for three more months

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
DaveyLC

20th Sep 16 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you a big azure bod then Kyle? Any idea why its been so fudging unreliable over the last 2 weeks?
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Sep 16 at 08:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure if big bod is the right description but yeah that's my thing!

There have been some DNS issues in West Europe and East US recently which has had an impact on some PaaS components and a small subsection of IaaS but ive been working all day everyday in a west Europe deployment and haven't had a single issue so it's not 100% across the board.

What issues have you had specifically?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
pow
Premium Member

20th Sep 16 at 08:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it should be called Microsoft PCP.

Lots of money, nothing to show for it at the end

I would like to clarify the above is a joke.

[Edited on 20-09-2016 by pow]
DaveyLC

20th Sep 16 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T

There have been some DNS issues in West Europe and East US recently which has had an impact on some PaaS components and a small subsection of IaaS but ive been working all day everyday in a west Europe deployment and haven't had a single issue so it's not 100% across the board.

Our web apps couldn't resolve the address of the SQL server (all Azure). piece of shit was down for hours over a few days.
Ben G

20th Sep 16 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
Contract azure role I'm going to say around £400/500 per day

forget the elise. Kyle's gonna be rolling up in a KTM x-bow soon.
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Sep 16 at 17:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:

Our web apps couldn't resolve the address of the SQL server (all Azure). piece of shit was down for hours over a few days.

Yeah sounds about right. I try to surround myself with the infrastructure side of things so am a bit sheltered from these types of outage, but not immune. Once had a load of VMs lose their storage due to Azure DNS issues, not fun

Generally the platform is pretty stable, gotta compare these outages with how many on-premise occurrences of "wrong disk pulled", "reset wrong service account password", "bob in support is a twat" could have happened in the same length of time

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
deano87

21st Sep 16 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by deano87
Don't discount Peterborough. Fast train / intercity thing to London Kings Cross. On the A1(M) before the traffic gets shite at A14, Black Cat and Stevenage.

This is a pretty good shout. The Peterborough train is actually the same train I get from home - but costs £200 from home and £40 from Peterborough... so the 120ish mile drive is a reasonable sacrifice and I NEVER get traffic prior to Peterborough. Will consider that fosho!

Proper Top Gear shit going down. Leave the same time as the train and see if you make it to Peterborough to jump on
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Sep 16 at 10:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Leg 2 of my Epping trip wasn't too bad.

Out of the office at 4, at Bank tube station for 4:10, in Epping for 5 and had an hours' head start.

Still have to deal with Cambridge traffic but cutting out the Dartford crossing was nice. Was an accident late on the A1 which proper fucked me so didn't get home until 9 - but can't do much about accidents I suppose!

Done some maths, seems insane... but next weeks idea:

Monday morning: Drive to Peterborough (2 hours and don't need to deal with Cambridge or Dartford)
Train into London (£55 return)
Do some work
Train back out to Peterborough.
Drive rest of the way to accomodation in Gravesend, will take a couple of hours but I'll be in no rush, monday night.
Work Tues/Wed/Thurs in Kent
Thurs night drive up to Peterborough, again no rush as it's a thursday night.
Friday, get train from Peterborough into London (£55 return)
Friday night, train up to peterborough and then drive the "easy" leg of my journey.

Means I only have to deal with Cambridge and Dartford on monday night and thursday night, the crunch time commutes should be relatively easy.

This works out marginally more expensive to the company than simply getting the train from my home town all the way into London, but means I get my car midweek which is critical for the dullsville I'm staying in @ Kent, but also I get to pocket the fuel expenses.

Over engineering this?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Sep 16 at 10:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In fact, got my maths wrong. With the pure train route I need to stop in more expensive accomodation due to limited transport when in Gravesend. That means the Peterborough hybrid works out slightly better

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

24th Sep 16 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds good. Trying to cross from Essex to Kent via Dartford is difficult at the best of times. There's no way I would do that commute everyday.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

24th Sep 16 at 20:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you looked at just renting a room during the week. I did it when working in Harrogate.
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Sep 16 at 06:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye staying in AirBnB's when I can. After living in hotels for 6months straight in the US a few years ago I really am bored of hotels.

AirBnb gives me a proper room, and occasionally somebody to talk to. Of course there is the chance of being bummed in my sleep, but you gotta take the rough with the smooth.

My semi-regular AirBnB is £35/night vs £65 for the local travelodge.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
ed

25th Sep 16 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

spareroom.co.uk is pretty good for Monday to Thursday/Friday lets if you wanted something a bit more reliable than Airbnb.

[Edited on 25-09-2016 by ed]
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

25th Sep 16 at 13:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
spareroom.co.uk is pretty good for Monday to Thursday/Friday lets if you wanted something a bit more reliable than Airbnb.

[Edited on 25-09-2016 by ed]

That's what I used. I got a new build double room with an onsuite and really nice place for £100 a week
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd Oct 16 at 11:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Leg 2 of my Epping trip wasn't too bad.

Out of the office at 4, at Bank tube station for 4:10, in Epping for 5 and had an hours' head start.

Still have to deal with Cambridge traffic but cutting out the Dartford crossing was nice. Was an accident late on the A1 which proper fucked me so didn't get home until 9 - but can't do much about accidents I suppose!

Done some maths, seems insane... but next weeks idea:

Monday morning: Drive to Peterborough (2 hours and don't need to deal with Cambridge or Dartford)
Train into London (£55 return)
Do some work
Train back out to Peterborough.
Drive rest of the way to accomodation in Gravesend, will take a couple of hours but I'll be in no rush, monday night.
Work Tues/Wed/Thurs in Kent
Thurs night drive up to Peterborough, again no rush as it's a thursday night.
Friday, get train from Peterborough into London (£55 return)
Friday night, train up to peterborough and then drive the "easy" leg of my journey.

Means I only have to deal with Cambridge and Dartford on monday night and thursday night, the crunch time commutes should be relatively easy.

This works out marginally more expensive to the company than simply getting the train from my home town all the way into London, but means I get my car midweek which is critical for the dullsville I'm staying in @ Kent, but also I get to pocket the fuel expenses.

Over engineering this?

This worked pretty well last week. 5.30 departure on Monday, At my desk by 09:30 and that included the slow (cheap) train from Peterborough.

On Friday night, left my desk at 4pm and was home for 19:45, again using the slow (cheap) train.

Doing it again this week, got a really nice AirBnB out in Kent but after looking on sparerooms there are some really good options there too - so may shop around next week.

Cheers dudes

[Edited on 03-10-2016 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » London commuting from oop North 24 database queries in 0.1817880 seconds