corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Self Assessment (Potential to end up a willy waving thread)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Self Assessment (Potential to end up a willy waving thread)
Aaron

User status: Offline
27th May 16 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've rented property out for a few years now, but the last tax year was the first when i had all 4 tenanted.

In short, due to maintenance/repair, upgrades and general upkeep of the properties, my expenses for the last tax year are more than my income from all 4 properties combined.

I've completed my self assessment to reflect this, and the calculation at the end is £0 tax to pay.

To be sure that i'd done everything right i stripped off half of my expenses, and sure enough the calculation at the end gave me a tax balance.

Question is, if i submit my self assessment correctly (i.e with no tax to pay), will HMRC get shirty?

It isn't as though I have anything to hide (as i have all my receipts and invoices for the products and services), but i'm just interested.
James

27th May 16 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Assuming all the expenses are legitimately tax deductible than I don't see how they will have any issues?

They are entitled to ask for receipts but like you said, you have nothing to hide.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

27th May 16 at 15:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds shifty to me, GUILTY
DaveyLC

27th May 16 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is how people play the game, hence why the rules are about to be changed.

If its expenses genuinely in relation to up-keep and maintenance than fair play, if its off-setting mortgage payments against tax then that's just naughty

[Edited on 27-05-2016 by DaveyLC]
luciaadr

27th May 16 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As James said, a loss is a loss.

Only way you could come unstuck is if you were claiming capital expenses against your income. (new roof/extension/similar)

That would be shown as a capital deduction if you sold, rather than expense in the year.

Obviously non-interest element of loan repayments s a no-no

There's loads of guidance on HMRC website if you're worried.

[Edited on 27-05-2016 by luciaadr]
Ian
Site Administrator

27th May 16 at 16:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the expenses are legitimate then you're fine.

Guidance doc explains what you can and can't offset.

I'd also look at deferring some of it to reduce your liability next year, ideally you don't want a zero balance because it can mean that your loses are larger than they need to be. In that instance (and its not quite as simple as just not putting them down this year and including them next time) you should definitely look in to that if you want to reduce the liability going forward.
Aaron

27th May 16 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sweet

I think the only thing on my expenses that is therefore questionable is the new windows in one of the houses. Basically, the windows in the front and rear bedroom were shite when i bought it, so i replaced with brand new frames and glass. I looked upon this as a benefit to the incoming tenant and have therefore deemed it an expense. Am i wrong to do this?

I'll download the doc for sure and have a read
Aaron

27th May 16 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
If its expenses genuinely in relation to up-keep and maintenance than fair play, if its off-setting mortgage payments against tax then that's just naughty

Nope. None of this going on. 2 of the mortgages are interest only (therefore piss easy to work out), and i have a handy Google Sheets spreadsheet to work out interest paid on my two re-payments.
Aaron

27th May 16 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good examples for anyone in the same situation as me

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/income-tax-when-you-rent-out-a-property-working-out-your-rental-income

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/income-tax-when-you-rent-out-a-property-case-studies#expenses-incurred-wholly-and-exclusively-for-the-property-rental-business
Ian
Site Administrator

27th May 16 at 17:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Windows are a revenue expense if they replace old shit with modern stuff as and when sensible maintenance dictates you should do it, you want to avoid talking about improvement and benefit to the tenant as it becomes a capital improvement which isn't deductible.
Generation

27th May 16 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do the same, but with one property. I absolutely hate doing it, and usually try to Palm
Is off to relatives as drives in insane. I would claim for windows, and have done.

I did it for new carpets, kitchen furniture etc. When could be argued last carpet was still a carpet and served a purpose. Do everything you spend on the place
Ian
Site Administrator

27th May 16 at 19:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're basically fine unless it adds value to the property, you could argue that carpet doesn't. Kitchen perhaps but equally well that's also covered as maintenance as it wouldn't last forever.

You couldn't bang an extension or loft conversion on it for example.
pow
Premium Member

28th May 16 at 06:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You know your can only do the mortgage interest as an expense, not the capital coming off the balance?
Aaron

28th May 16 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
You know your can only do the mortgage interest as an expense, not the capital coming off the balance?

Yes mate. Made reference to this a few posts up.
pow
Premium Member

28th May 16 at 19:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not gunna lie I was probably still pissed when I posted that!
luciaadr

29th May 16 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron
quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC

Nope. None of this going on. 2 of the mortgages are interest only (therefore piss easy to work out), and i have a handy Google Sheets spreadsheet to work out interest paid on my two re-payments.

Ask your bank for a certificate of interest for the tax year (might be able to download it from Internet banking) rather than estimate it

New Poll