corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Winter Overhaul (Update - Crossover Delete Fitting)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Winter Overhaul (Update - Crossover Delete Fitting)
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

User status: Offline
21st Apr 16 at 11:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Usually I just mod my car and keep it to myself....not because I like to keep things private...but simply because I'm rubbish at remembering to take photos!! And then once the thing is back together I think about posting and realise I have no evidence of my undertaking. So...since I noticed that the projects section can seem a little dead these days I thought i'd upload a few images of my winter tasks.

Nothing too major here. List of problems/tasks:

Head gasket was gone like a good'en
Turbo was smoking more than an e-cigarette
Likely stem seal failure
Gear linkage was sloppy (more than the Vauxhall standard sloppy)
Radiator was leaking
Air filter was rusty! (Yes I used an ebay £10 filter....probably a mistake)

As i've said above, I often forget to take photo's. So this won't be a 56k no no. In fact 56K will be quite happy in here and you can still stay logged into your msn messenger

Ok...so time for a photo:

When I first bought the car:

It's current state of styling:

And now for the work....time to strip:

I must confess this photo isn't from my recent strip down as the styling has changed some what. However, the strip down was very similar in nature...

...next I removed (what seemed like) everything visible and connected

Head was transported to the kitchen table (Mother was out) (yes I still live with my Mother):

As if by magic, the head was rebuilt:

With the addition of these (I actually had these made by a local engineering company and sold a bunch of extra sets on eBay as a little project):

Next the turbo was rebuilt with a new core:

Core look at that...

Never repair without upgrading. That's my motto:

Cleaned the pistons, block and prepped the area for the gasket & head:

ARP Studs....hopefully should help the gasket seal for longer than a week:

Head on boat ready to go on:

Yay progress...

Okay....

From the previous stage to this one was a lot of colourful words and the use of a grinder and drill....turns out the "factory fit" after market inlet manifolds are anything but.

Had to build this bracket for the ECU mounting:

Getting there:

My Rad repair...bit of JB Weld. We'll see how it holds up:

Lick of paint:

And voila...

I know what you're thinking...why does he have yellow boost pipes. Well have you seen the price of new boost pipes?? Needless to say, they are due to be replaced once my car repair fund has been replenished from it's recent raid.

Also if you're wondering how the inlet manifold turned from silver to red, I commissioned the boss to help:

Item's not shown in the photos:

Changed a linkage part to tighten the sloppy shifter (supplied by M-tech)
Fitted a nice new Aux belt (cam belt will be changed also in the next few weeks)
Oil change with Fuchs GT1...
and copious amounts of cleaning and degreasing!

It's not actually running yet, so I may be posting this prematurely and it may all go horribly wrong but I'm due to fire it up at the weekend. (sprung a bit of an oil leak on the turbo when priming the oil lines which I'm in the process of repairing)

Thanks for reading!

[Edited on 31-07-2016 by Sly_SRi]

Corsa C Z20Let

Black Sleeper Turbo Project
oJNAo
Premium Member

21st Apr 16 at 11:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should definitely remember to take more photos and post more! I enjoyed reading
Jambo

21st Apr 16 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rory

Nice car dude, how do you find it? I always fancied doing one of these.
Jimbothebarbarian

21st Apr 16 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like your boss, she looks younger, faster, and sportier than mine.
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

21st Apr 16 at 13:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Glad you enjoyed the read, yes I will remember to take more photo's in future! I have no excuse really these days with camera technology on phones.

@jambo, greetings! It's been a while. Yes I actually love it tbh, it actually does everything I want it to do...daily driver (when it's on the road), fairly subtle when I park in a dodgy neighbourhood and yet it goes like the clappers! It's currently running 293 Bhp. With the new inlet manifold it should be just clear of 300. Scaryy. LSD needed! ha. I see you're driving a VXR, done any upgrades??

and I've yet to tell the boss that her photo has been posted online before passing her approval

Corsa C Z20Let

Ellis

21st Apr 16 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice wee project there.

Can't help but notice you registered with CS in 2004 but profile says you were born 1996. Browsing forums at 8 yo?
pow
Premium Member

21st Apr 16 at 15:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello mate, that build looks really good! Keep us posted
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

21st Apr 16 at 17:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ellis
Nice wee project there.

Can't help but notice you registered with CS in 2004 but profile says you were born 1996. Browsing forums at 8 yo?

Yes that's how I roll. Haha, I must have clicked the wrong date! A decade out is fairly close...

Corsa C Z20Let

Jason x
Premium Member

21st Apr 16 at 18:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice vehicle
ShEp

22nd Apr 16 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks nice that, I hope when the fund replenishes and you order pipes that a crossover delete is on the list
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

23rd Apr 16 at 10:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ShEp
Looks nice that, I hope when the fund replenishes and you order pipes that a crossover delete is on the list

Interestingly enough I actually have one already! In red! However....I need people's opinion on this..

Call me particular but basically I don't think it look red enough. It's more towards the pinkish end of the scale:

Looks sort of okay until you compare it to something that is a deep cherry red:

Am I being anal about this? or do you agree?

Anyway that's why I haven't fitted it yet. I think that the MTC Motorsport ones are better and redder having looked at the pictures so I think I'm probably going to swap it!

Corsa C Z20Let

oJNAo
Premium Member

23rd Apr 16 at 12:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it looks flame pink so you're not alone haha
Generation

23rd Apr 16 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, definitely not
Proper red.

Usually the kind of red tou get with budget hoses. I don't know the make or price, but that's what I've found in the past
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

28th May 16 at 18:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brake Overhaul!

So I had a bit of an issue with the front brakes. Basically something went wrong when driving the car again for the first time due to the condition of the rusted discs and my heavy braking and the drivers side disc warped! Much to my annoyance...

...but I have a good credit rating and a new credit card sorted things out

Yes I could have just replaced discs and pads but I'm a bit particular about repairing something, I just can't leave it as it is. I have to improve it! So decided to rebuild the calipers and change the colour to my new theme.

Here are some pics....

Old disc, you can see where the rust hasn't worn off correctly due to the warping:

Time to disassemble:

Actually a bit of life left in the pads but not much...

One of the reasons I refurbed the calipers is because I hate working with dirty car parts! I love cleannnnnnn

Dirttttt....

Btw. If, like me, you have a stoney-cut-up-your-nee-caps drive way then this is the best way you can spend £3.50...

Another dirty pic for you..

Clamp off the brake pipe

And the cleanup begins!..

I told my girlfriend I had ordered the stripper....she didn't laugh.

Cup of coffee to keep me focused

Getting there slowly!!

And finallyy after a lot of scrubbing and wire brushing....

Impressed aren't you? Admit it...

Ok, I'll come clean. I cheated. I gave up and took it to my local vapour blasting place. Man I wish I'd done it in the first place!! Learn from my mistake. Never clean something up again when an expert can do it for a tenner in 15 minutes

Anyway, lesson learnt. Time for primer (I did do this bit myself):

Paint..

...and assembly!

I wish I could say it was a simple case of assembling the lovely clean parts whilst sipping on a cold beer out in the sunshine. But tbh it was a right bugger. I ended up chipping the fresh paint and leaving grease stains in the laquer.

So I learnt a second lesson...Assemble during the primer stage and then paint carefully around the parts! Which I implemented on the other caliper...

New discs, custom ordered from M-tech in holland! Drilled from blanks, 4-stud 308mm Discs:

Anyway, Finished product:

Bit blurred

I don't have a pic of it with the wheel on, simply because the wheels are seriously dirty and I haven't had time to clean them up! But they look great

So that's it for now.

Ready for PVS.

[Edited on 28-05-2016 by Sly_SRi]

[Edited on 28-05-2016 by Sly_SRi]

Corsa C Z20Let

Generation

28th May 16 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mega clean, my caliper a were that yellow too. Took ages of painting over, not a good job really, compressed to yours anyway!

How much were your discs? As I need same
Size too
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

29th May 16 at 08:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The discs were 168.00 Euro's. So roughly £130. Plus 19 Euro delivery. I was impressed how fast the delivery was too, ordered them on a Friday and they were with me on Monday.

Corsa C Z20Let

Generation

29th May 16 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's actually a lot cheaper than expected.

Why was the price in Euros? Are you based overseas or are they?

Thanks for the help, were spigot rings supplied too, and noticed you have some fitted.
Finally,
Do you have a link/number I can contact them
On?
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

31st May 16 at 14:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's the link:

http://www.mathijssentechnics.nl/?View=page&pid=1094&mid=1094&l=73&t=2

The website can be a bit confusing but you can always email the guy directly and he's very helpful.

Corsa C Z20Let

3CorsaMeal

31st May 16 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best brake overhaul I've seen since i did mine. Nice job. I ended up painting the whole surface on mine, i left bits like you but it rusted up so did them again.
Jambo

31st May 16 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lovely job dude! My ocd likes the photo with all the parts laid out prior to assembly. I did mine myself on the M3 and I really enjoyed doing it, spent days with a wire wheel and sanding to get it perfect. Painted them with halfords "hi temp" caliper paint and they were rusty in 3 months.

Paint looks much better than what I used!
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

3rd Jun 16 at 18:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the comments I actually used Engine Lacquer for them, same stuff I used on my inlet manifold. Very hard wearing and sets rock solid. Saves time also as the paint and lacquer are both in one.

The brakes feel really nice. Very smooth and lots of power to them. Only using OEM pads but they seem like enough power for my normal road usage.

Corsa C Z20Let

anthcorsa

5th Jun 16 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Enjoyed reading this thread, miss my corsa C SRI, one of the best cars I've owned tbh.
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

31st Jul 16 at 15:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finally got round to fitting a crossover delete (been on my list of to-do's since I bought the car over 2 years ago!!) I decided to go for a neutral choice on colour....black.

Installing Crossover Delete:

As it stands before fitting

Decided against buying a MAF extension cable as I have all the stuff to extend my own, plus I can then decide exactly what length I want it to be.

Did some work at the desk....but the rest I had to do in the car. Obviously..

I still need to fit some hose clips as the pipe didn't come with any! Bit cheeky if you ask me...but anyway.

And voila!

Btw, if you do fit one of these to your Corsa....good luck checking your oil level

I think theres some sort of modified oil dipstick pipe but that'll have to wait. For now I'll have to try and wiggle it past the inlet somehow.

Before:

After:

My brother took a video on the little test drive we did. Will upload it later! I was shocked how much louder it is!

Corsa C Z20Let

Ellis

1st Aug 16 at 07:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That little rig you have for soldering wires is
pow
Premium Member

5th Aug 16 at 08:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're dirt cheap from Aldi or Lidl when they come up Ellis, really useful

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Winter Overhaul (Update - Crossover Delete Fitting) 25 database queries in 0.1982732 seconds