corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Can I easily fit old 1.7D Isuzu into Combo C?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Can I easily fit old 1.7D Isuzu into Combo C?
Audi Pardonner

User status: Offline
12th Apr 16 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Folks,

Need some reliable advice urgently please!

I have a faithful old '96 Combo 1.7 diesel van with less than 80k miles on it - always start first time, no smoke, very economical, had it for 5 years and it owes me nothing. Sadly, I had a 'moment' with it a few months ago when the bonnet suddenly flew up on the motorway at 70 mph. Couldn't see where I was going for a moment but managed to negotiate my way to the hard shoulder safely. Screen was smashed, bonnet buckled. When I'd recovered my composure, I bashed the bonnet out sufficiently to tie it down and proceeded on my merry way to deliver an item I'd just sold on eBay for £80. Thereafter, it cost me £80 for a new screen!! Hey ho. Then the MoT ran out and it's been off the road since.

I have other vehicles to run around in but still really need a little diesel van from time to time. I am sure I could fix up this little Combo B - but is it worth it?

Now, I've just been offered a low mileage Combo C 1.3 dti (or summut) which is very clean but has totalled its engine. I understand this engine has problems with timing chain tensioners going slack, ending in catastrophe if not attended to promptly - yes? Well, that's what seems to have happened here. Not sure how bad the damage is until I can get my hands on it.

So here's my first thought - could I easily fit the 1.7 Isuzu lump (it's not the turbo version btw) into the Combo C?

Is there any compatibility? I'm not bothered about performance - just need a reliable and economical van to chug around the country. I'm semi-retired now but have been in the car game most of my life so I am pretty handy. I just need the inside knowledge!

Please help if you can.

Cheers,

David

Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
12th Apr 16 at 11:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quick answer, no its all different. Gearbox hence shafts, hubs, loom, ECU, you'd give yourself a lot of problems.
Audi Pardonner

12th Apr 16 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Ian. Well, that's a shame! But glad to get the low-down so I'm not wasting my efforts.

So now:
1. Wonder how bad the 1.3 engine damage is? Will that be worth fixing or do I just get another lump? Are there alternative size engines to transplant etc.

2. What should I do with my old Combo B - it just seems too good to scrap!!
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
12th Apr 16 at 12:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Essentially anything that's fitted to a later Corsa or Combo will fit as then you have similar loom routes. Not sure on the ECU locations and stuff like that which may impact on dash wiring which makes it a bigger job. The 1.3 failure is very common though - you only need to look at the number of Combo C spares repair on Ebay and many share the same symptoms. Timing chain stretch similar is magnitude to a failed belt so valve/piston damage, renew timing gear and HG. You might get away with making one good engine from a few but its contact so budget for the worst.
Audi Pardonner

12th Apr 16 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks again Ian.

It seems to be commonplace these days for technology to advance, but reliability to be sacrificed. That old Isuzu engine was a peach.

A pal of mine has just paid over £1500 to get the handbrake fixed on his new Range Rover! What's that all about then?? Crazy world!

Audi Pardonner

12th Apr 16 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK, so I've been doing some in-depth research about the 1.3 cdti diesel engine, basically a Fiat design, and it seems they are CR**P, yes? Maybe they are ok when they are going, but there is a basic weakness which seems to start with the paper oil filter which clogs and disintegrates far too soon in its life. This then breaks up and proceeds to block the oil supply to the timing chain tensioner which then goes slack. Cam-box noise ensues as a potential warning - but most folks just keep on driving. Then, one fine day, the chain is slack enough to jump one or two teeth on the camshaft sprocket - and mayhem ensues. Valves are out of sync and connect with piston tops, the camshaft itself can be twisted out of shape - result, a right old mess.

To cap it all, parts to fix this mess come at a ridiculous price, making engine repair totally uneconomical.

Oh blimey!

But I've just committed to buy a nice Combo C - with a duff engine! OK, it's coming real cheap.

Ian has confirmed that my old Combo B's 1.7 Isuzu lump would be a real job to implant? But I'm still game!

So, before I have a go, can you think of any other routes? I just want to end up with a decent, reliable van. Prefer diesel. Got a couple of Jag V12 engines kicking about - nah, don't be silly!

Seriously, I am not a Vauxhall expert but am an experienced motor engineer (aged 71!) - so have you any sensible ideas??

jay.jay

13th Apr 16 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about a 1.7dti (Y17dt) engine? It's also an Isuzu lump that was found in the corsa c's and astra mk4s before the fiat engines were issued around 2004 I think. As its found in a corsa c I'm sure you could find a crash damaged one and swap everything over
Audi Pardonner

13th Apr 16 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah, thanks Jay Jay.

I had vaguely heard of the Y17dt engine but just assumed it was a larger version of the Fiat Disaster! If it's an Isuzu lump, I'm half impressed already, not that I'm any expert. I will certainly check it out. I wonder if any of the wiring is compatible. But, as you say, if I get a complete salvage vehicle, there will be everything available to swap over. I might yet be able to make the best out of a bad job.

Does anyone have any good news for me about the Y17dt?? I'm literally in the dark here.
jay.jay

14th Apr 16 at 06:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have the y17dt engine in my corsa c and it's very economical, only problems they have are the diesel EDU units break but can be had for £60 on an exchange basis and take 10 minutes to swap over, the inlet manifolds also get clogged up with carbon deposits due to he EGR but it can be blanked off very easily to prevent this from happening. Mine has done 168k and I'm only now having problems with the turbo but that's not related to anything it's just a crack in the turbo housing
Audi Pardonner

14th Apr 16 at 06:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks again Jay Jay. I may have found a complete Corsa C 1.7d up here for just £80! Should provide all the goodies I need. Must admit, apart from the Combo B Van which I've run without any major issues for 6 years now, my last Vauxhall experience goes back to 70's (VX4/90) and my father had a new 1954 Velox in Electric Blue - was considered outrageous in its time when most cars were black.

Thanks for the help guys. Think I know where I'm going now.

New Poll