corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » First race of the year - a bit wild

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author First race of the year - a bit wild
AK

User status: Offline
4th Apr 16 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RACE 1 VIDEO - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE25kVZZR3c

Didnt do testing.... with hindsight I should have with the gearbox alterations....

Qualy - soaking wet, so full wets but went out with dry slick settings on susp! Doh.
Didnt get a clear lap with traffic or gearshift issues so was pleasantly surprised to be pole by over 1sec with a 59.0. With full boost and a clean lap I'm sure that should have been a 57 at least So, big positive... car felt great too.

Race 1: Never started from pole before so was a bit nervous for some reason. I knew Ian would start fast and be aggressive.
I got a fairly crap start but the Marcos blocked Ian so not a disaster. Pulled a decent gap until i did a couple of miss-shifts on the back straight and threw it away. Colin passed and Ian got along side. No danger I can keep him behind on straights!

Spent about 5 or 6 laps chasing the Marcos down and was all over him in the corners (and on the grass at times! ) but just too slow on the straight. I'm sure I would have got passed eventually but didnt get the chance after spinning at McIntyres taking avoiding action of the spinning back marker.

Got back going, and chased down Paul Brydon and Graham Davidson... passed Paul down the inside into the hairpin and got a shit load of oil on the screen from Graham's car... couldnt see, couldnt stop and just missed the rear of Graham all locked up and pitched sideways into the hairpin. Gave up due to vision after this... and then the car conked out going over duffus - ECU trip for oil pressure funnies at low rpm.

Massive fun, but a tiny bit gutted about the outcome.

Stripped the dry sump PRV after some help from Steven Darley and Matthew Lawson. Cleaned, refitted, oil changed and reloaded the map with all the safety measures - all seemed good. Oil pressure was back to behaving as expected.

Ready for race2, starting in my favourite place
AK

4th Apr 16 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RACE 2 VID - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyRd_Mtau5U

Starting last... LOVE IT! Went with worn R888s and should have gone for slicks like Colin and Ian with hindsight. Tyres were gubbed by lap 5.

Went mega aggressive pointing the car where I wanted to go, and swiftly had to alter that as a green chicane took that space Luckily (for me) Keith Cowie had a bit of wheelspin which allowed my to jink in front of him and zig zag through the field... and thread the needle between Graham Roberston's and Scott Tollan in the Escos. Close.... but kinda worked with minor contact with someone :S

Round the outside of Mark at McIntyres but no room to pull it off so got inline, a bit of oversteer on exit of chicane blew the opportunity on that section so waited and passed on the exit of Clarks. Next up Paul Brydon and Phil Dryburgh... Passed Paul at the hairpin and used the power to pass Phil's Ginetta on the main straight.... blocking Paul in in the process tongue emoticon Lap 1 - last to third. Very Happy

Once into 3rd I eased off a bit, but still caught (around lap5) Colin and Ian as they battled... also heaps of smoke coming from the Marcos and load more oil on track.

Lap 6/7 saw Ian having a large spin off at duffus - and I didnt think he'd be back out. Colin had had several black and orange flags so knew he wasn't going to finish... so stupidly backed right off in P1. This allowed Ian to gain back fairly quickly and pass me on the main straight. Being honest I was quite content to take 2nd.

Lap 8 I got close to Ian again - his car starting to fail I think... and then his gearbox looked like it exploded at the hairpin, showering my car in debris and forcing me to try and avoid him... and here is where it went pear shaped. Low rpm near stall and the same feckin oil pressure issue as race 1... GAAAAAH

I was pretty gutted.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

4th Apr 16 at 14:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good stuff Ad, shame about the results, but thats racing i guess, potential is there to get em next time

@9.20 on race 2.......we've all had that moment at some point in our lives lol
Graham88

5th Apr 16 at 04:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome, the start in race 2 just carving through traffic was epic lol

Shame about the issues, defo felt your pain in the bit Steve pointed out, I had exactly the same reaction when I went in the gravel at qualifying last weekend lol

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » First race of the year - a bit wild 23 database queries in 0.0116520 seconds