corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Air con units.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Air con units.
Ben G

User status: Offline
1st Jul 15 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, so I guess you're thinking ''1 week heatwave and this daft pricks going overboard'', but I actually work shifts and so every 3 weeks i'm on Nights. Fine in winter, not so good the other 3 seasons where the south east actually get's rather warm-hot. It doesn't help that my bedroom is south facing either.

Been thinking about installing an air conditioning unit for a while now and I guess now's the time to really start looking at them.

Firstly, what exactly do I need to be looking for? I've seen people chuck the vent out the window, which seems rather pointless to me. This would be no good for me anyway. Night shifts and open windows are a definite no go area.

Secondly, what size unit do I need? My bedroom isn't huge, just average size really.

So yeah, any advice is better than no advice
Gary
Premium Member

1st Jul 15 at 21:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a portable one, chuck dump Pipe out of window and get room cool then turn it off at bed time
Ben G

1st Jul 15 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about half way through my sleep on a night shift, when I wake up busting for a piss, drowsy as fuck and my balls are sweating like crazy?

First world problems I know. But I chose to live here, so I choose to have first world problems
BeetleGav

1st Jul 15 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My cousin fit one in his house, he's an aircon engineer, I'm sure he could sort you out with something. He's always travelling about so probably wouldn't be an issue either.
Can message him on fb if you want to find out more
jacko198

2nd Jul 15 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a portable one. Bought it off Gumtree for about £50-60. Well worth it this time of the year!
VegasPhil
Premium Member

2nd Jul 15 at 19:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Problem is they are so bloody ugly. Big Units on internal and external walls. Pipe work etc.

I cringe when I see them on houses.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Dom

2nd Jul 15 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Firstly, what exactly do I need to be looking for?

If you don't want a portable unit then you're either after a split system, where you have an internal fan unit and a external compressor/heat exchanger, or a 'window'/wall (never can remember the correct name) system where it's a single box that sits in between an external wall.

As for size, it's based on BTU and there's calculators that'll take your room measurements and give you the needed BTU's (obviously less BTU's if the room is shaded; more if it's south/west facing).

I've looked at getting one is the past but what puts me off is the hideous compressor/exchange part, and the fact i can't easily hide it anywhere, and the cost of purchasing and running the unit for what is essentially a few weeks use every year - getting a system with a heat pump seems like a better idea as it means you can use it all year round but again, costs go up.

Although you'd probably be better off speaking to a company and getting them to spec and install a system as it seems a bit of a faff doing it all yourself.
baza31

4th Jul 15 at 00:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He can't do it himself, he holds no refrigerant handling cert. You can have a split or a multi split in one or more rooms off one outdoor unit. For a 3kw daikin/mitsubishi/Fujitsu fitted your roughly looking at £1800. Once you have ac you will wonder why you never got it earlier. Heat/cool the room far quicker and far cheaper than an a rated boiler. People think it's cooling only but it's literally the way forward. If you use a heat reclaim you can also heat your water . Generally id put outdoor unit in a garage or outbuilding, or you can always make a housing outside to tidy it up. Some smart looking indoor units now they have come on loads.

One example

http://www.coolingdirect.com/floorstanding.htm
Dom

4th Jul 15 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
He can't do it himself, he holds no refrigerant handling cert.

There's sealed plug 'n' play system that i'm sure anyone can install
random dav
Premium Member

4th Jul 15 at 14:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have split systems in all our rooms, similar to this http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/panasonic-c35kw-h49kw-reverse-cycle-split-system-cscu-e12pkr nice and quiet. Heats the room very quickly too.

Got a 10kw in the living which is mega

You can get some that are wifi enabled.

[Edited on 04-07-2015 by random dav]

WRLFC !

Project cars
baza31

4th Jul 15 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by baza31
He can't do it himself, he holds no refrigerant handling cert.

There's sealed plug 'n' play system that i'm sure anyone can install

Plug and play? If it's got refrigerant in system you need to be registered. If your talking about them shitty coolers at b&q that ain't air con and have no gas.
Lee_fr200

5th Jul 15 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me and my dad fitted his split system the refrigerant was all sealed and it was plug and play, drilled a big dirty hole in the side of his house mounted indoor unit fed pipes out to outdoor unit job done!
baza31

5th Jul 15 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How did you do it? No such thing as plug and play split.
Richie

23rd Jul 15 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes there is.

Look at the "Easy Install Air Conditioning section"

" These systems consist of an indoor unit and an outdoor unit that is pre-charged with refrigerant; and are supplied with easy install pipe kits. Simple to follow instructions allow installation in well under two hours."

http://www.aircon247.com/c/4401092/1/wall-mounted.html

We installed Panasonic ones ourselves when the portacabins were getting super toasty on site.
Rob_Quads

24th Jul 15 at 07:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are quite a few plug and play systems. The only restriction is there is a limit to how much pipework you have and so it might be a bit of a messy install if there is too much or not enough resulting in a poorly located units.

Arguably if you are doing the pipework yourself and then just releasing the re-canned gas in the external unit you are liable as its possible that your connections leak but with the quick connections its just like putting a plug in the socket - your not touching the pipework per say.
Richie

24th Jul 15 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The quick fit hose systems are designed so that they have to be airtight before they get seated in far enough to release the gas into the pipework, extremely slim chance of leaking. They must have been extensively trialled because of the law regarding the "You must not knowingly or without lawful reason release these refrigerants" jazz.
DaveyLC

27th Jul 15 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought this monstrosity for £1 at the local auctions, the initial plan was to integrate it into the summer house build I did but its been so unbareably hot in the house I decided to bring it in

3CorsaMeal

30th Jul 15 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just put a bucket of ice in front of a fan

New Poll