corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa b 1.6 x16xe loosing coolant

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa b 1.6 x16xe loosing coolant
dale mcgarry
Premium Member

User status: Offline
2nd May 15 at 21:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello not been on in a while now but I've had some bother with my coolant it keeps disappearing I've not got any shite in the oil and the compression on all 4 cylinders are the same well about 5 psi difference 175/180/182/185, so all good I think, once I just started the car about 3/5 mins drove about 0.3 of a mile and turned it off came back out and there was water all over the floor, there was no obvious burst pipes or anything so I filled it up and had a look for leaks but nothing was leaking ever since its slowly been disappearing from the expansion tank and ive no idea where? Anyone shine some light on my situation

Thanks

**MANTZEL INLET MANIFOLD WANTED**

***CORSA B 1.6 WANTED*** message 07985388283 if you have or know of one for sale***

(if you can still read this then i'm still looking for them thanks.)
SVM 286

2nd May 15 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll need to pressure test it Dale.

Know anyone with a pressure tester?

What engine do you have?
Generation

2nd May 15 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can't spot the leak with car in front, what chance do we have?

I'd recommend the above
SVM 286

2nd May 15 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just noticed you've actually listed it as a small block XE. Sorry Dale, opiates plus not enough sleep

My 8 valve was leaking from the water pump and the thermostat housing, but it was only in tiny amounts and when the car was well heated through and during the hotter months.

Took me an age to find both leaks.

Didn't help that the oil pressure switch had a slow leak too, so there was just a light, smeary, oily, anti freezey mess over much of my engine with road grime attached and no obvious source.
dale mcgarry
Premium Member

3rd May 15 at 07:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I done the compression test guys and they are 175/180/185/180 psi I'll try get the pics up mine is leaking oil as well underside is messy with it so hard to tell what's going on,

[Edited on 03-05-2015 by dale mcgarry]

***CORSA B 1.6 WANTED*** message 07985388283 if you have or know of one for sale***

dale mcgarry
Premium Member

3rd May 15 at 07:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did have a look under the car and up the back of the engine and there's a pipe with like a plastic box thing attached almost like some kind of a filter or something I have no idea I'll try get a pic, but yeah that had coolant all over it but no obvious leaks/rips/holes will have to have a proper look once I change the rad, away to stick in a twin core one and remove the ac rad/pipe work

dale mcgarry
Premium Member

3rd May 15 at 08:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Engine symptoms are as follows

Slight misfire under load (comes and goes)
Overfuling a bit well enough to notice
Coolant disappearing

Fitted a new lamba sensor
The ht leads look new
New spark plugs fitted
Oil changed
Decat fitted
Sportex back box fitted but leaking at connection (can this cause a misfire?)

Generation

3rd May 15 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pressure test not a compression test
dale mcgarry
Premium Member

3rd May 15 at 11:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oops my bad haha

--ToM--

3rd May 15 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Misfire will be coilpack
dale mcgarry
Premium Member

3rd May 15 at 11:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a spare one in the garage I will try once the weathers better its lashing down atm

dale mcgarry
Premium Member

3rd May 15 at 13:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is the place it may possibly be leaking from think it's the to do with the heater???

dale mcgarry
Premium Member

3rd May 15 at 13:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SVM 286

3rd May 15 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah Dale, I should have been clearer.

Compression test will be handy and good to know, but yeah, I was referring to a cooling system pressure test.

If you know anyone with a tester that'd be great as they are dear to buy and unless you own or work in a garage, might not get used again for years.

A sniffer test too. They are much cheaper to buy and a piece of cake to use for a layman.

It'll also be invaluable in eliminating whether or not you've got exhaust gas/coolant cross contamination. That would be a sure sign of minor head gasket failure and could explain coolant consumption and an intermittent misfire.

Heater valve seems like a good weak spot for a potential leak, so fingers crossed it's that as will be far quicker and cheaper to repair.

Little box thing sounds like part of the breather network.

Car looks nice. Hope you get it sorted easily.
dale mcgarry
Premium Member

3rd May 15 at 20:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah ok haha I know someone that works in a garage so will ask him, will have another look at the heater valve see if it is that, will update once I find out more

dale mcgarry
Premium Member

6th May 15 at 10:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update, think I'm 99.9% sure this is where it is leaking from,

dale mcgarry
Premium Member

6th May 15 at 10:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dale mcgarry
Premium Member

6th May 15 at 10:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dale mcgarry
Premium Member

6th May 15 at 10:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[Edited on 06-05-2015 by dale mcgarry]

New Poll