corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » turbo failure symptoms

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author turbo failure symptoms
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

User status: Offline
15th Feb 15 at 09:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a compression test done. This is what was happening to mine and the piston rings were going.
pow
Premium Member

15th Feb 15 at 12:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All of my diesels have always had a bit of oil in the pipework, doesn't look terrible to me.
WATSON

15th Feb 15 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have been up at the car today decided to take it out and see what is what, The car is lacking in boost and there is a whistle type noise coming from it when coming onto boost also boost gauge jumps about like a hippy

I've managed to get some pictures of underneath around the turbo area and also managed to get the lower boost pipe off from the intercooler that goes onto the turbo, There is oil seeping out the lower intercooler pipes and there is quite a bit of oil in them too.

I'm no mechanic but the amount of oil in the intercooler pipework and seeping out all lower pipework I'd say its not normal.

The VXR turbo's are chocolate, They can't handle a large amount of boost/hammering, 1.7bar cant/wasn't doing it any good!

--ToM--

15th Feb 15 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Diesels do it more so than petrols, and if you think the quantity of oil in the boost pipes on his pictures looks nothing to worry about your tripping lol turbos had it end of
WATSON

15th Feb 15 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --ToM--
Diesels do it more so than petrols, and if you think the quantity of oil in the boost pipes on his pictures looks nothing to worry about your tripping lol turbos had it end of

Correct, I know I should expect slight oil in boost pipes but this is quite a large amount, the complete turbo is shagged on going by what I have found/seen today

Time for hybrid turbo and boost controller

alan-g-w

15th Feb 15 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh shit son, what do we reckon then? Still seems weird if it's not smoking on boost, doesn't suggest seals?
--ToM--

15th Feb 15 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seals have shat them selves the big puff will of been that happening now it won't even hold boost properly it probably hasn't got the boost pressure to blow oil far enough to get back into the inlet to be burnt off, fucked simples! Make sure you clean out your inter cooler bad exhaust thoroughly when new turbo goes on or it'll be smoking like a trooper for ages lol

[Edited on 15-02-2015 by --ToM--]
micra_pete
Premium Member

15th Feb 15 at 22:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had subarus with worse
Corsa_Sport21

16th Feb 15 at 04:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who mapped it?

Generally, with supporting mods and a good map, are the mk4's not around 290bhp at stage 4? A VXR turbo isn't maxed out at that. It's not far off though but it's not on the limit.
--ToM--

16th Feb 15 at 08:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should see just over 300 on stage 3
Corsa_Sport21

16th Feb 15 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No chance.
WATSON

16th Feb 15 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's running a stage 4 courtenay map Nic, Stage 4 is around the 290 to 300bhp. stage 3 is around 260 to 270bhp going by courtenay that is.

Mine was running just shy of 310bhp up until now
Corsa_Sport21

16th Feb 15 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How old is the turbo?

That's not "too much" power for them but it's not ideal. Maybe just had a hard life before you, switched off before being cool enough etc.
WATSON

16th Feb 15 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
How old is the turbo?

That's not "too much" power for them but it's not ideal. Maybe just had a hard life before you, switched off before being cool enough etc.

I've been running 1.7bar through it according to vxronline its not ideal No idea how old the turbo is or how it was treated before me, I've aways cooled down and warmed up whenever in use just one of them things I suppose with these.
WATSON

17th Feb 15 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ordered new turbo, gaskets ect today, Hopefully last much longer than the standard vxr jobby

Next diff and forge internals

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » turbo failure symptoms 23 database queries in 0.0135820 seconds