corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Fifa goal of the year

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fifa goal of the year
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
3rd Dec 14 at 12:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it just me or is that birds goal being in there just a gimmick? Just so they can tick a few boxes and say they actually care about female football, or non league stuff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30284831

My issue with it is, that its obviously against poorer quality opposition, defenders, goalkeeper etc.

If I was playing with a bunch of 5 year olds in the park im sure I could score some fantastic worldies.

I would have thought a prerequisite of something be defined as "best" would have to be achieved at the best level...
JonnyJ

3rd Dec 14 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its all relative though isnt it? You cant just say it isnt as good because the quality of players is poorer because that would include the player who scored it, making it quite special. Your analogy doesnt work because the 5 year olds would be way below your level [or maybe they wouldnt...] Would you not allow a goal scored by Ronaldo against say, Granada, because the disparity between the two teams is too large?

Essentially what you're looking for is the Champions League goal of the year award, im sure theres one for that already.

As long as its in a competitive match in a league recognised by the competition i dont see the issue.

Sounds like just another one of your strange issues with females. Mummy issues for sure.

[Edited on 03-12-2014 by JonnyJ]
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd Dec 14 at 13:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looked like a corker to me, though I kind of see Steve's point - a better opposition would have probably prevented that goal from ever materialising but the control and finish regardless was fantastic. If Ronnie O'Sullivan scored a 147 vs me in a local WMC - it would still be quite impressive.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
JonnyJ

3rd Dec 14 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As i say though you cant just rank the opposition as shit but not the goalscorer, unless you're suggesting Stephanie should be playing for Real Madrid, in which case you might have a point but given i havent seen any rumours posted by Steve i think its safe to say they arent planning a move.

The fact someone at that level has shown that level of technique is just as impressive to me as someone at the top level, doing it against fellow top level players.

Its like saying there was a competition for overtake/drive of the year but it should only come from F1 and not say the DTM, BTCC, GP3 or Formula Renault 3.5 "because the level of opposition is not the highest"

A 147 by Ronnie against you wouldnt be as special as if he did it in the World Championship, but if you pulled off a 147 against a fellow player in a regional league, with some amazing shots then its pretty special and shouldnt be disregarded as average just because the bloke you were playing wasnt Ronnie O'Sullivan

[Edited on 03-12-2014 by JonnyJ]
Cavey

3rd Dec 14 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally I wouldn't have RVP's in the top 3, probably not even in the longlist they had earlier in the year, good goal? Yeah, but there's been far better this year.
JonnyJ

3rd Dec 14 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
Personally I wouldn't have RVP's in the top 3, probably not even in the longlist they had earlier in the year, good goal? Yeah, but there's been far better this year.

It was even in the top two of goals in that world cup
Marc

3rd Dec 14 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm surprised it is even in contention, not because it was scored by a woman but because I didn't think they would consider a goal from the lower leagues. Its good that it is there both for women's football and leagues outside the top flight.

As for RvP's goal, it was pretty special.
Rob_Quads

3rd Dec 14 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No doubt that the goal is in there because its a women scoring.

Those goals happen each year, often in lower league if you have someone who is at the end of their career but still very skilled, above the average for the league
p

3rd Dec 14 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Much prefer Robben's goal in that game than RVP.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Fifa goal of the year 25 database queries in 0.0127251 seconds