corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Philip Hughes

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Philip Hughes
Dave

User status: Offline
27th Nov 14 at 05:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Died after being hit on the head by a short ball

Can't believe it, just figured at the worst case it would be similar to Bianchi/Schumacher. Can't imagine how bad the bowler feels too.
Cavey

27th Nov 14 at 06:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't think anyone on here would give a shit tbh.

But, yeah, awful. I too assumed he'd be recovering and get back to health from it, despite the constant negative reports from the hospital. Just horrible news.

Wouldn't be surprised if that Bowler gave up now tbh, he must feel awful
AlexSXI

27th Nov 14 at 07:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unbelievable. RIP Phil.
DC90

27th Nov 14 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never been into cricket but it's quite shocking news really. Sounded like he was a very promising player and he was only 25
JonnyJ

27th Nov 14 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Absolutely shocked, cannot believe it. So sad.

Tragic accident, you see batsmen get a bouncer to the head from time to time and most times they are completely unaffected, at most, they need a minute or two to recompose themselves. Poor Sean Abbott must be in pieces. Good to see that Hughes' family are backing him.
AlexSXI

27th Nov 14 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saw a tweet a short while ago which summed it up for me I think:

Rest in peace Phil Hughes
Live in peace Sean Abbott
Dave

27th Nov 14 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Struggling to see how he can play again tbh. It was 100% not his fault at all but how can he run in and bowl another bouncer without thinking about what happened? Just a tragedy for all involved.

Worry about the media reaction too, especially from people who know nothing about the game.
JonnyJ

27th Nov 14 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Struggling to see how he can play again tbh. It was 100% not his fault at all but how can he run in and bowl another bouncer without thinking about what happened? Just a tragedy for all involved.

Worry about the media reaction too, especially from people who know nothing about the game.

Aye, discussing what you said above in your first paragraph on another forum. Bouncers are part of the game and every good bowler needs to have it in their locker but i just cant see how he'll be able to bowl one again, knowing what happened here, even if it was the freakiest of freak accidents, which it was.

Hopefully he gets plenty of support, certainly on Twitter, hes getting plenty, especially from the cricket community who know full well hes just as much of a victim in this as poor Phil.

Seen suggestions of clapping when a batsmen reaches 63 no out now, which i think would be a nice touch. Even if it was just kept to when the Aussies were playing
Cavey

27th Nov 14 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fortunately I've seen a pretty good reaction. Of course there's been quite a lot of people suggesting no more bouncers ever and full motorcycle helmets for protection.

But on the whole it seems to be pretty well understood that it was just a freak occurrence even among the uneducated. Well, all except one woman on the Matthew wright show when I finished work who said that hard cricket balls are lethal and should be banned

Also seems to be nothing but support for Abbott. Although I agree, there's not really any way he can carry on playing. He'll never be able to bowl with any aggression again let alone bowl a bouncer at someone. Poor bastard

Thing that's got me the most was Hughes last cognitive thoughts would of been, "I should of put that away" and "fuck me. That hurt" He never got the chance to think of family or say goodbye to them
Cavey

27th Nov 14 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I saw Andrew Mansfield suggesting clappingnon 63 n.o. Nice gesture? Yeah. But every time any batsmen gets there, no. There will be silence/applause at every match this week, think that should be it personally.
Cavey

27th Nov 14 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

https://amp.twimg.com/v/9e5a87dd-4059-4555-a805-814ad3e636f2

Tribute video from the Aussies.
Conway563

30th Nov 14 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not a good week for cricket

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-30260842
Dave

9th Dec 14 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sean Abbott back bowling for NSW in a Sheffield Shield game today, good to see.
JonnyJ

9th Dec 14 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Sean Abbott back bowling for NSW in a Sheffield Shield game today, good to see.

Even bowled a few bouncers too apparently. Good on him, no doubt the support he received helped.
Dave

9th Dec 14 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, first over if twitter is to be believed.

Think the best thing for him now is the media to leave him alone, not keep referencing Hughes every time they talk about him and just let him get on with his career like any other cricketer. They won't though. Still, the fact he's back playing at that level is a real positive.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Philip Hughes 24 database queries in 0.0143480 seconds