corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » 'active' watches

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 'active' watches
Gary
Premium Member

User status: Offline
26th Oct 14 at 16:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mrs is after a watch for running etc. Wants to do all the usual shite, plus gps for strava or whatever.

I know zero about these things so anyone got any ideas?
John

26th Oct 14 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Garmin Fenix 2
Dom

26th Oct 14 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a look at Polar or Garmin's; something like a Garmin Forerunner 10/110/210 (£100-150 area) or Polar M400 (£160). Personally i'd opt for Polar's over Garmin as you tend to get a few more features for the money but you'll find there isn't a huge amount of direct comparability with fitness apps unlike Garmin's, instead you have to convert the watches data using third-party apps or websites - it's easy enough but it's another added step.

And generally heart rate monitoring is done via an external chest device (i've found them to be bloody annoying and uncomfortable) which is a ~£50/60 extra; unless you're willing to spend big bucks* on the all-in-one's which'll include it within the watch.

Saying that, if it's for Strava then what about just using her phone on a arm strap/band? It saves a peeing around with syncing data between devices.

* You can get cheapy heart rate monitoring watches, Polar FT1 (iirc), for around £50 but they will just be heart rate monitor and a clock and you won't get GPS tracking, altitude or other 'fancy' features etc.
Gary
Premium Member

26th Oct 14 at 20:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about a smart watch? I've seen Sony knocking something out that does fitness stuff?
Dom

26th Oct 14 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
What about a smart watch? I've seen Sony knocking something out that does fitness stuff?

Whilst a lot of the smart watches have heart rate sensors (which aren't particularly accurate from reading reviews), you'd still (with the majority of them) need your phone for GPS tracking. And it's a similar story for most of the fitness wrist bands; they'll track a few things but you'll need your phone for the GPS tracking.
Then there is the cost of a smart watch or fitness band which is the equivalent to a reasonable Garmin or Polar watch anyway.

Plus if you're taking your phone then you might as well ditch the watch/wrist band and if you want it, use a ANT+ (if your phone supports it)/bluetooth heart rate monitor etc.

Easiest is to find out what features she's after and what sports she's wanting to use it for. Although if she plans to track swimming then a watch is about your only option but you're heading in the £250/300+ region for something like the Fenix 2 as John posted.
Pop

26th Oct 14 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just bought a Garmin Forerunner 910xt on a cracking deal.

The fenix 2 is a nice watch but is pretty big in the flesh. If she has small wrists it will be quite clunky.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

26th Oct 14 at 22:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mrs wants one of these for Xmas also. Saved me posting a thread!

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Gary
Premium Member

27th Oct 14 at 07:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This looks pretty smart. Seems to do the job.
http://www.humberrunner.co.uk/products/details/1046.html?adid=645&aditem=1046&dyadid=715
Matt L

27th Oct 14 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forerunner-310XT-Multisport-Monitor/dp/B0025VKUPM

its a bit chunky but works for bike/running/swimming + can use the optional heart rate/cadence bits etc.
AndyKent

27th Oct 14 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a forerunner 410 for running/cycling. Wouldn't wear it day to day though, charging it up all the time would be a fag.
Gary
Premium Member

27th Oct 14 at 20:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's the difference between the 210 and 410?
Brett
Premium Member

27th Oct 14 at 21:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't have much of a clue about these things so be gentle, but I read Fitbit are supposed to be releasing some new super duper watches of this nature.
Voyto

28th Oct 14 at 08:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/garmin-forerunner-10-gps-running-watch-amazon-59-99-2034617
AndyKent

28th Oct 14 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
What's the difference between the 210 and 410?

I've no idea. I think the 210 was inserted at the bottom of the range under the 410, although picked up most of its features, with a better 400 model replacing mine.

Is a couple of years old (mine) now.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

28th Oct 14 at 21:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the Garmin hint. Ordered a pink one for the missus.

[Edited on 28-10-2014 by VegasPhil]

Gary
Premium Member

29th Oct 14 at 07:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Link us up Phil
VegasPhil
Premium Member

29th Oct 14 at 18:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just searched on Amazon app from the link above.

www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forerunner-GPS-Running-Watch/dp/B00996VQ1S/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1414608952&sr=8-11&keywords=garmin+forerunner

Edit they have gone back up now

[Edited on 29-10-2014 by VegasPhil]

New Poll