corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Best camera for traveling

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Best camera for traveling
Doug

User status: Offline
1st Sep 14 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good Evening,

Booked a holiday to Thailand early next year, now I need to source a camera for the trip.

I have had a few decent cameras but don't own any at the moment. Previous history has been:

Nikon D300 with some expensive glass. Stopped using it as I could never be bothered to carry it around!
FujiFilm X10. Sold it as I wanted something slightly less bulky for a trip to China
Sony RX100. Sold it after trip to China as have no real use for a camera when not on holiday.

Now I am considering picking up a second hand FujiFilm X100 for the trip. It looks like it really is a fantastic camera that can take great JPEGs which means I won't have to mess around with RAW conversions.

I liked using primes on my DSLR so I don't think having a fixed length would bother me. Besides, I think you can get a wide angle converter?

So I guess I am asking if anyone has any experience of the X100? Or maybe I should man up and buy a D7000 or similar with a 35mm prime?
gooner_47

2nd Sep 14 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went travelling with a Canon SX50 IS. Wanted something with a great zoom (just because... never know when you'll need it!) but still relatively compact (i.e. not a DSLR).

The bridge camera dimensions fit the bill for me. I loved it, wasn't too big but took fantastic photos.

Samples can be found here if you're interested:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/luketwomey/sets/
Balling
Premium Member

2nd Sep 14 at 18:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've traveled with DSLR with several lenses, DSLR with 50mm prime, compact enthusiast (G10 and X10), compact super zoom, pocket compact and mobile phone.

Every single one has its merits, but the one I've used the most was hands down a Sony pocket compact.
Waterproof, impact resistant, bit of optical zoom and easily fits in a (not too tight) pants/shorts pocket.

Hands down the best travel photos I have are from my 50mm prime, but I have way, way more photos from the Sony and honestly, looking through my travel photos quantity trumps quality.

Using a phone was just as nice, btw, but between a bit of GPS, looking up landmarks on Google and taking pictures, well, the battery lasted all of 10 hours. Also, lowlight? Forget about it!

AndyKent

3rd Sep 14 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you ever not on holiday
Doug

6th Sep 14 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
Are you ever not on holiday

Doug

6th Sep 14 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gooner, those are great pics! Better than I would actually expect from that type of camera.

Balling, I think thats just about summed up what I will try and do:
Fuji X100(s) second hand
iPhone 6 with waterproof case
GoPro Hero 3

That should have most bases covered!!
whitter45

9th Sep 14 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have the x10 and D7000 and would nto be without my D7000

I think I need a good all round lens as I tend to have 12 -24 and 17 - 70 but would be nice to have a longer range

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Best camera for traveling 25 database queries in 0.0096591 seconds