corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What should i do???

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What should i do???
blebo

User status: Offline
12th May 03 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only doctors etc are allowed to opt out....or you have to sign a declaration that you want to opt out but only over 18 can to this.
iamanpow

12th May 03 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well this is the guys whole problem, he's too young.

He needs to sit tight for the meantime and wait until he's older before makin any moves otherwise he could end up stuffed.

He needs to build up agency experience because he obviously doesn't have anythin else worth offering another agency
Brett
Premium Member

12th May 03 at 09:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was a web developer and only used to get £100 a week...poo poo!

Did my nut in when I was working on websites they were charging £20k for and i'd get £100!

Plus, cause i was an apprentice the government paid the wages anyway!

Then they laid me off at the end of my apprentership!!

But the company sadly closed down a month later... mwahahaha!
Adam

12th May 03 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You might have problems starting a buisness at 17, I mean you have to be 18 to get loans and things
Cosmo

12th May 03 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mestonian
and i just got a big project in

Is that anything to do with me?

I would say look for a job elsewhere for the time being, you've got experience now so can push for more money!

Then save up a bit and go on your own, try and do some stuff and get a portfolio together and your sorted!
mestonian

12th May 03 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No mate its yet another british energy website at work. Only worth a mere measly appalling £75k ...... lol
Cosmo

12th May 03 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam
You might have problems starting a buisness at 17, I mean you have to be 18 to get loans and things

You shouldnt really be looking at getting a loan to start up a business like this. You dont need office space or any large overheads like that.

A bit of saving and you can get a computer and software you need if you dont have it already, then money fr marketing etc can come after you've done a few sites and have more to show in your portfoio
mestonian

12th May 03 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your theory is EXACTLY as im thinking cosmo, your on the same wavelength as me. After a few sites and work, i can get business cards printed etc, i.e the marketing. We will see what happens i guess. Cheers for all your help guys n girls,
Cosmo

12th May 03 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha 75k, nowt to do with me that one then!!
And I thought mine was going to cost a fair bit!

Cosmo

12th May 03 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh, and if you want any advice about setting a business up etc then feel free to U2U me.

Just been through it all myself, not easy for well worth the hassle at the end of the day!
mestonian

12th May 03 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol, corporations like that dont think anything of paying that much, this is meant to be classified info but BT just paid 25k for a database i designed and implemented in less than a day.

Big money....
mestonian

12th May 03 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers cosmo, is well appreciated.
mestonian

12th May 03 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by iamanpow
What sort of money do you expect to get paid? You're only 17, obviously not much experience or qualifications behind you, you're lucky to be on the money you're on. You just have to work through the shittiness, it's all part of building up experience.

You won't be able to get a business loan or grant because you're too young.

You might think it isn't fair but that's life!

Ok, its them sort of comments which piss me right off. Not much experience or qualifications, i have my GCSE's at all grade A* to B - And as for experience, maybe im not as experienced as some other web designers no, but im fucking good at what i do, and ive been told by the creative director of this company, that i have exceptional creative design abilities although have no formal training of this.

I work extremely hard on big projects producing literally stunning work unattended and on my own, and i get paid 12k, so dont tell me im lucky to be earning that because im fkin not mate!!!
iamanpow

12th May 03 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, you're good at what you do. That's great and the fact you boss says so too is even better.

But how are you going to get that through to an agency? Bearing in mind that there's 500 other people saying the same thing, some of them with years of experience and a degree.

Don't get me wrong, I'm the same as you, no degree just depending on experience. I know from experience it's damn hard to get through to people you can do the job.

I'm saying you should stay where you are and work through it, in the grand scheme of things you're not worth much to other agencies but you seem to be worth something to the people you're with so stick with them.

You've only been in the business five minutes you can't expect to earn big bucks right away, it just doesn't work like that.
mestonian

12th May 03 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not expecting big bucks, but having said that a friend of mine who was in my year back in school, went into web design, hes nowhere near as good as me, and hes earning 18k at 17 .... So you can expect a REASONABLE salary at any age.

I see what your saying, but i do far too much for far too little. I have been working here since i did my GCSE's, the company actually offered me a contract while i was taking my GCSE's. And ive been here 13 months already. So not quite 5 minutes.
iamanpow

12th May 03 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually, that is only a short time. Sorry if I seem harsh when I say these things but they are true.

It seems bad now but judging from what you've said, it will be worth it in the long run to stay where you are. Keep working away and prove yourself more, make yourself very important to them. Once you do that you can march in and get whatever wage you like.

Don't worry about what your mates are on, most of the time they're either bullshitting or they're out of a job in two weeks time

mestonian

12th May 03 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No hes showed me his payslip and hes been in it the same length of time as me.
iamanpow

12th May 03 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well then he's landed on his feet but getting annoyed about it isn't going to help (believe me I know!!)

Seriously, I've been in the same situation and I stayed put. Looking back, I'm glad I did, I would've been screwed if I'd left.
mestonian

12th May 03 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On the other hand, is it not preferable trying to go it alone at a young age while i have no real commitments behind me, rather than wanting try it when im older with a mortgage and family etc? Nothing to lose now, then i would have everything at stake.
iamanpow

12th May 03 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, that's what I plan to do over the next few months in fact.

But with the greatest respect starting a business at 17 will not be easy, a lot of people just won't take you seriously enough.

If you think you can really make a go of it though then good for you and good luck.

mestonian

12th May 03 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With web design how does anyone know who you are? I have literally earnt tens of thousands doing private work & odd jobs etc for companies. Its called NEW media for a reason, because its new, so why older people should be taken more seriously than YOUNG NEW people i find odd.
iamanpow

12th May 03 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, but companies aren't keen to hand over loads of hard earned cash to someone who isn't old enough to vote

It's not fair but it's the way things work unforunately
mestonian

12th May 03 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see what your saying, but most the companies i have done work for i have never even met anyone from the company. Its simply been an all online issue. And its worked perfectly before both ways. They got their product, i got the cash by bank transfer usually.

They never enquired wether i was 17 or 71, the work got done to a high standard so they didnt worry about that.

Obviously meeting in person i can see what you mean, but nowadays with tech available, we dont even have to go out the house to earn big money.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What should i do??? 23 database queries in 0.2006569 seconds