corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Calculating a replacement RSJ

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Calculating a replacement RSJ
Colin

User status: Offline
3rd Apr 14 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might sound simple (if you know the answer I guess) but if i'm taking out a window & patio doors to open out into an extension, will the rsj just be the accumulative length/width from the lintel schedule plans I have?

I will be consulting a structural engineer at some point, just looking to cost/spec materials just now.
Rob_Quads

3rd Apr 14 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this a patio door with doors to the side of it? Is there not already a lintel above it providing support?
RichR
Premium Member

3rd Apr 14 at 10:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My structural surveyor was in yesterday and should have our report out on Monday. I'm assuming that you have a supporting wall between the window and patio doors and individual lintels above each rather than one single unit which is exactly the same as mine. If you can wait until Monday, I'll give you the exact dims of our recommended steels and the spans involved.

[Edited on 03-04-2014 by RichR]
Colin

3rd Apr 14 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As RichR says, separate lintel above each window & patio door with supporting wall in between.

I will need to consult a structural engineer to satisfy building control, however knowing it will be a fairly procedural calculation I just fancied looking into things myself.
Rob_Quads

3rd Apr 14 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As long as you do your maths and show your workings Building Control may well accept it.

I provided all the calculations for mine when I went for a wooden beam and they were happy enough. (it was a good half page of numbers including all the factors like snow weight etc)
RichR
Premium Member

3rd Apr 14 at 15:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did my own but for security/insurance, and the £150 he's charged, I'd rather pass the liability on to the structural surveyor and if anything goes wrong its on him. I've also got him to write the method statement and temporary support arrangement within that price so it really does fall on him if anything at all goes wrong!!
_Allan_

3rd Apr 14 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will fall on you if it goes wrong
Rob_Quads

3rd Apr 14 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_
It will fall on you if it goes wrong

RichR
Premium Member

3rd Apr 14 at 19:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jules S
Premium Member

3rd Apr 14 at 22:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RichR
I did my own but for security/insurance, and the £150 he's charged, I'd rather pass the liability on to the structural surveyor and if anything goes wrong its on him. I've also got him to write the method statement and temporary support arrangement within that price so it really does fall on him if anything at all goes wrong!!

Agreed all day long
Colin

9th Apr 14 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RichR If you can wait until Monday, I'll give you the exact dims of our recommended steels and the spans involved.

Did you get yours back rich?
RichR
Premium Member

9th Apr 14 at 10:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not yet, I'm chasing it today-guessing they're sending it to the architect first who'll then send it to me.
Colin

9th Apr 14 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool well I'd be interested to take a look.
RichR
Premium Member

11th Apr 14 at 10:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had it back now Colin, hit me up your email address and I'll send it over. Its comprehensive as it also includes the beams required over the bi-fold end doors; roof truss and joists; window and side door. Beam 02, exg wall is the one which relates to your question here.
RichR
Premium Member

13th Apr 14 at 07:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sent it
Colin

14th Apr 14 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Received cheers, gave me a headache I'll be passing this onto someone else to sort out

New Poll