corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Football Fan Psychology

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Football Fan Psychology
JonnyJ

User status: Offline
25th Mar 14 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26704856

Good article this and something I've been peddling for a while now. I've never really "got" those who choose to support clubs because they win. Where's the reward? Wins are expected, so come with little "good feeling" and defeats are horrendous and result in what seems like mental breakdowns for some "fans".

If you're brought up a fan of this type of club then theres not much you can do but those who pick winning clubs are not going to get the highs they think they are going to get. Those who change clubs when the team they "supported" stopped winning are even weirder. Surely you're just depriving yourself of those out of body, delirium experiences when you get those unexpected wins/results, which is one of the best things about being a fan.

Been saying for a while that if this does turn into a sustained period of struggle for United, it will be the best thing for the fans, at least it will weed out those that just followed them for the winning, they can go and get their fake joy somewhere else.
Steve
Premium Member

25th Mar 14 at 19:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Read it the other day, tis an interesting article
Dave

25th Mar 14 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not just a football thing, although some football fans certainly seem more fickle and have short memories.

I used to have a season ticket at Wigan RL and for a few seasons we went epically shit, we got trounced 70-0 and 75-0 by Leeds and Saints and were in danger of being relegated. However my most memorable game was a Good Friday derby against Saints. We were doing shit, had a huge injury list, plucked some kid from a union club to play on the wing, we had no chance. Except we did, and we won and it was magnificent. I enjoyed that win more than any of the string of Challenge Cups we won, championships, Grand Finals etc. Maybe Man Utd fans will get to experience that and realise supporting a team isn't just about winning trophies, it's the ups and downs along the way.
Cavey

25th Mar 14 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Said it a million times, football fans as a group are fucking idiots. Fickle, easily swayed and believe everything they read in the papers and let it shape their opinions. Derby fans are some of the worst,but that could just be because I'm surrounded by them

JonnyJ

25th Mar 14 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, its a life thing in general. A person who is born with a silver spoon in their gob, who gets given everything in life without having to graft for it, will never appreciate what they have.

Basically fans who pick teams for glory do it because it seems glamorous, but all the glory they get is ultimately hollow.
Ben J

25th Mar 14 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People have ripped Gooner's in the past for celebrating match wins like we'd won a trophy. Well this probably sums up why. Enjoying the good times, never mind how small they are.

And tell you what, when we do finally win a trophy again. I'll probably be crying with joy. Fuck me I'd hate for a trophy each season to be a "given".

I support Arsenal, have done since I was about 5. I'd still support Arsenal if we were in Conf. South. And again, its not about trophies for me. They are a nice bonus if and when they come. Its about passion for your club, and a belonging I suppose.

[Edited on 25-03-2014 by Ben J]
Hammer

25th Mar 14 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Always said I envy fans of lower division clubs, not in a pat on the head patronising way but in a football romanticism type way.

The feeling I had when we beat Barcelona last season comes around once in a blue moon and I'd love the opportunities to be more regular.
JonnyJ

25th Mar 14 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Always said I envy fans of lower division clubs, not in a pat on the head patronising way but in a football romanticism type way.

The feeling I had when we beat Barcelona last season comes around once in a blue moon and I'd love the opportunities to be more regular.

I always think it must be pish for Celtic/Rangers fans, genuine ones, not the ones who live miles away and pick one because its some kind of unwritten scottish law. Surely winning the league has lost all kind of meaning now? You basically live for a cup.

I have had quite a few ridiculous highs following York, the feeling when we got promoted was indescribable. Im certain it will never be topped. There's many others too, staying up last season, seeing us beat Everton in the cup, Man City in the league, winning at Wembley twice in a week. Then theres simple things like taking 5,000 to Bolton, 800 to Pompey on saturday and just seeing the same faces that have been through all the bad times with you, getting that knowing nod off regulars Its a little community and im immensely proud to be part of it.
Cavey

25th Mar 14 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually makes you feel sorry for Celtic fans, and a bit more appreciation for them turning out in such numbers every week for a procession.
JonnyJ

25th Mar 14 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldnt go that far
Cavey

25th Mar 14 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And don't get me wrong, I am nowhere near Jonny's level of fan, I haven't been to a Crewe game this season, but even watching the scores come in is a trial sometimes. Never know how many they're going to win or lose by, can only really guarantee they will concede! Its just whether they score more or not
Russ

25th Mar 14 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
we like you too

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Football Fan Psychology 24 database queries in 0.0136149 seconds