corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Football players salaries

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Football players salaries
smcGSI16V

User status: Offline
21st Feb 14 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wayne rooneys new salary equates to being paid approx 50p every minute of every day.

Disgustingly overpriced in general?
Wages becoming scandalous in general and out of touch with reality.

Discuss.
Conway563

21st Feb 14 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was hoping for mentions of nurses or soldiers
Russ

21st Feb 14 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Conway563
Steve
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 22:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

John

21st Feb 14 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's clearly ludicrous but if someone is stupid enough to pay it and the player/agent/whoever sorts it for them has the nous to get it, fair play.

Would like to see what tax they should pay against what they are paying.
smcGSI16V

21st Feb 14 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tax payments would make interesting viewing.

But even though somebody is willing to pay that amount of money, do you not think it is a disgusting amount to pay.

Steve
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 22:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In terms of what I get or the general public yes. In terms of business or compared to the rest of the money flying around in the premier league, no.
John

21st Feb 14 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even in business terms it's a lot.

Forgetting about the usual brain surgeon or whatever arguments, what about some genius capable of generating lots of income, some Google or Apple employee. I bet that's probably above what most of them earn. They also have to use their genius and not just run about once a week.
Ben G

21st Feb 14 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why does it bother you? Are football clubs run by the government and therefore taxpayers money? Or are they privately owned by wealthy men who use their/their businesses money however they want?
Ben G

21st Feb 14 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Conway563

standard Facebook generation reply.
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Feb 14 at 02:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think its a bit bad, but you also can't really regulate it as its a completely internal matter what the clubs choose to pay their players.

If the fans and media income are able to fund it, that's what's going to happen.

Short of tailoring your tax regimes to deliberately penalise those people who you think are taking home too much, there's very little you can do.
JonnyJ

22nd Feb 14 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Obviously in real life the wages are beyond obscene but top level football doesnt operate in the real world, it lives in a bubble. The money clubs get from TV and sponsorship alone means the players can command this wage. The nurses/soliders argument doesnt hold up because im sure if the NHS could get a tv deal worth hundreds of millions they could afford to pay their staff similar wages.

Its a real shame football has gone this way, im sure top flight teams could survive these days without a single paying customer coming through the gate. It certainly no longer the clubs main source of income.

Generally i couldnt give two fucks about top flight premier league football, its bubble will hopefully burst eventually and shit will hit the fan, but when wages rise in the top flight its effects inevitably filter down through the leagues. Even at York's level the average wage will be about £1,000-£2,000 a week, which im just about comfortable with (it is a short career after all) but the extra financial strain of having to pay these wages, inflated by those above, always gets passed onto the fans, which is why for some games at L2 level you are paying £25. For 4th division football.

All of it just means that the higher you go, the more you are pricing out the average joe. Look at top flight grounds these days and its rammed with middle aged business men and tourists when it used to be working class Dave and his son. Even Man Utd who used to have a massive waiting list for ST's now advertise them mid way through the season. Luckily for them for every loyal supporter that has to drop out because he cant afford to go to every game anymore he can be replaced by Dong Wang Xi or Ethan Taylor-Johnson the 3rd who wants to go because its cool to be seen at a top flight game and he can record all the action on his iPad.

My rants probably gone slightly off track here but the bottom line is, so long as clubs are getting obscene amount from Sky and the rest of the world who wants a slice of #EPL action and for so long as people are willing to pay said TV companies mental amounts in subscription fees (money which could be spent actually going to games and having a social life), players are going to want to, and can be, paid accordingly.
Cole

22nd Feb 14 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think that their wages is disgusting a top flight referee who is on fifas list only gets about 50k a yr and they will probably only have 5-6 yrs at that level if they are lucky
Cavey

22nd Feb 14 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with Jonny, as usual, but also with Steve.

Business sense its fine. When Beckham signed for Real, he was on (at the time) a massive amount, but iirc, he made them 4 times what he was paid in shirt sales, sponsorship deals etc...
Rob_Quads

22nd Feb 14 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its does seem in terms of a business its madness. They are playing people 80/100 million a year for a company that is making a few million profit.
Compare that to the banks which I think even them will be paying less yet they are making billions profits. Our CEO is on a reported 18 million on a profit of ~ 17 billion.
Steve
Premium Member

22nd Feb 14 at 18:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Disagree. Rooney will be paying his wages in generated revenue from advertising alone.

If they got rid, they would earn even less profit than your original point claims

[Edited on 22-02-2014 by Steve]
Cavey

22nd Feb 14 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, if they got rid, for £30m or so, they'd probably ha e to spend £50m+ to replace him with 1 or 2 players who'd be out of the champions league
Rob_Quads

22nd Feb 14 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Disagree. Rooney will be paying his wages in generated revenue from advertising alone. [Edited on 22-02-2014 by Steve]

Do you think so? - Is he alone going to generate 27% of all of Man United revenue (going on last years figures)
MarkM

23rd Feb 14 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Supply and demand. Simple.

As said above if he left they'd have to spend 50M to replace him which is there of there's out what they're paying him in wages.

Good on him I say it's not his fault they're prepared to pay that.
Gary
Premium Member

23rd Feb 14 at 11:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly. I'd take 100+k a week to piss about on a footy pitch.

taylorboosh

24th Feb 14 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are paid like movie stars.... Because every aspect of their life is in the public eye... They are superstars no matter how you see it...

Also i bet some baseball, american football and basketball players earn more.... For the sane reason
taylorboosh

24th Feb 14 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same*

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Football players salaries 24 database queries in 0.0173140 seconds