corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Which Sat Nav?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Which Sat Nav?
James

User status: Offline
9th Dec 13 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mum wants a sat nav for Christmas. I've always considered TomTom to be the best, not sure if that's still the case?

She will just want something basic and easy to use, UK only and nothing particularly fancy. I guess traffic updates would also be quite useful.

Not sure on budget, but I'll consider any suggestions.

Thanks!
Matt L

9th Dec 13 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a garmin which was pretty easy to use although didnt recognise anywhere in wales unless you change the settings

Used a tomtom once that was ok not keen on it maybe because it was an older one but seemed to be slow/touch screen was hard to navigate around.

nowadays I just use my phone.

realise this is no real use without model numbers but I imagine the ones I had no longer exist anyway

[Edited on 09-12-2013 by Matt L]
James

9th Dec 13 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh a lot of people have mentioned Garmin, they seem to be much better value than TomTom.

Mum has a Galaxy S3 Mini, she struggles to use it for basic calls/internet usage so the thought of suggesting an app for it would probably confuse her. I think she would prefer something dedicated that she could switch on and use easily.
Balling
Premium Member

9th Dec 13 at 13:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Garmin have always had the best and most intuitive UI, which imo is the most important thing to look for.

big eck

9th Dec 13 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a garmin that's used nearly everyday for work. Very simple to use and good clear screen. Go for the widescreen version.
chrisritch

9th Dec 13 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L
I had a garmin which was pretty easy to use although didnt recognise anywhere in wales unless you change the settings

Used a tomtom once that was ok not keen on it maybe because it was an older one but seemed to be slow/touch screen was hard to navigate around.

nowadays I just use my phone.

realise this is no real use without model numbers but I imagine the ones I had no longer exist anyway

[Edited on 09-12-2013 by Matt L]

I proper lost the fucking plot with my Garmin Nuvi when trying to find a postcode in Scotland, didnt think you would have to change the settings for it to find a country in the UK
Matt L

9th Dec 13 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was the same properly annoyed me.
James

9th Dec 13 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think I'm going for this:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1391983.htm

Has good reviews, big screen, lifetime maps and a great price.
AndyCorsaSport

9th Dec 13 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a TomTom but was about 6 years ago. Was stolen out my dads van. He has a Garmin I used once, kept beeping if you went anything over 70. Did my bloody head in. Must have been his settings but I couldn't work it out
pow
Premium Member

9th Dec 13 at 15:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Garmins are the most intuative
Jay

9th Dec 13 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had my tom tom 1 for 5 years and use it got courier work. Paid £50 with tesco discounts think it was about £100, personally wouldn't look at any others
Ben G

9th Dec 13 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a tomtom europe with iq routes. Never had a problem with it. Screen is more than wide enough at around 4-5''.

Garmins seem fine also.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

9th Dec 13 at 18:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My last 3 have been Tomtoms, I've always found them pretty intuitive, the latest one I bought (Start 20) has IQ routes which seems a big improvement over the older routing system, it also brings up an option to find car parks as you get near your destination, it's relatively easy to avoid part of a route if there's reports of traffic, Lane guidance etc.

The only recent systems I can compare it with are Nissan and BMWs systems which are more complex, not as accurate for finding the fastest route and less accurate on journey time predictions. I think Tomtom where advertising free map updates the other day too which, if correct, brings them inline with Garmin who have offered the free updates for a while.

[Edited on 09-12-2013 by Mike]
Ronson

9th Dec 13 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use a TomTom for work and I'd rather eat fresh dog shit than buy one myself.

There have been many occasions where it has told me to turn right so I turn right, it then freezes for 15 minutes tells me to turn around and turn left, so I do that then it tells me to turn around.

So after turning around it tells me to turn left, so I'll turn left and it will freeze again for the next three miles before telling me to turn around so I'll turn around AGAIN before it tells me to turn around A G A I N and finally takes me to my destination 35 minutes later than I should have been there.

FUCK TOMTOM, they use Garmin on ships which I think says a lot.
taylorboosh

9th Dec 13 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My tomtom is great, it however infuriates me when i enter the postcode, screen is shocking
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

9th Dec 13 at 20:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had a tomtom start20 and it wasnt very good. touchscreen wasn't accurate.
worked ok whilst in america

bought a garmin instead and its perfect. good screen clear accurate directions. speed camera warnings

I'd definitely buy another garmin but it would have to be a great deal for me to buy another tomtom
Tiger

9th Dec 13 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use a free one on my iPhone, I probably only use a satnav about 3 times a year so couldn't warrant buying one.
Rich H

11th Dec 13 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to use a TomTom but for whatever reason it decided to refuse to update after a while and kept crashing my computer when I plugged it in so sacked it off. Now on to a Garmin. Have to be honest, I much prefer TomTom's - the Garmin struggles to pick up and hold signal in certain places where the TomTom never had an issue.

Also liked the TomTom IQ routes which figure out the quietest / quickest route based on your travel time etc.

Backup plan these days when the Garmin lets me down is Google Maps on my phone.
Seany

11th Dec 13 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mum got a new tom tom its pretty cool. Got a phone interface aswell and is voice activated. Screen is huge too

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Which Sat Nav? 24 database queries in 0.0114701 seconds