corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Bedding in new discs and pads....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bedding in new discs and pads....
Corsa_Sport21

User status: Offline
20th Oct 13 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's your preferred method?? Slowly on the brakes for a few hundred miles, or random left foot braking to get them biting quicker??

Just fitted some 308s to the Vectra. Calipers were cleaned up, greased etc, and new discs and pads fitted.

Have done about 8 miles on them but it looks like the drivers side still has the scoring marks on half of the disc, like some of the pad isn't touching it. Passenger side all the scoring marks have been taken off.
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Oct 13 at 10:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

100miles of gentle use and then a stint of 100-20 heavy braking runs with no brake use between to cool them off. Do that until they either fade or I feel seasick, whichever comes first let them cool properly before stopping.

That was the instructions I was sent with my last set of pads, and seemed to work alright.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
big eck

20th Oct 13 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do a mixture of sharp hard braking and slow stuff. I never do high speed braking at first tho incase I warp the new discs lol.
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Oct 13 at 10:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by big eck
incase I warp the new discs lol.

8 pages

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
VegasPhil
Premium Member

User status: Online
20th Oct 13 at 10:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just go for a drive if it's normal discs and pads...

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Jamie-C

20th Oct 13 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just drive normally, they'll sort them selves in due time
Ben G

20th Oct 13 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No need for all this fancy 100-20 hard braking stuff if you aren't elite.
pow
Premium Member

20th Oct 13 at 11:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use them normally, allowing for a slightly bigger distance for the first 50 miles or so
sc0ott

20th Oct 13 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The car will be sold long before the brakes are fully bedded-in anyway lol.
Corsa_Sport21

20th Oct 13 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In 11 days time i will be spending £154 on road tax. Not a hope in hell will i be selling it any time soon. lol.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

20th Oct 13 at 12:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Use them normally, allowing for a slightly bigger distance for the first 50 miles or so

This.
SVM 286

20th Oct 13 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
What's your preferred method?? Slowly on the brakes for a few hundred miles, or random left foot braking to get them biting quicker??

Just fitted some 308s to the Vectra. Calipers were cleaned up, greased etc, and new discs and pads fitted.

Have done about 8 miles on them but it looks like the drivers side still has the scoring marks on half of the disc, like some of the pad isn't touching it. Passenger side all the scoring marks have been taken off.

No emergency stops for a hundred miles or so and leave plenty of room so they have a chance to pack down nicely without getting overheated.

Then just normal civilised use. Try to leave it a good two or three hundred, dependant on pedal feel, vehicle weight etc, before you start to bully them though.
Corsa_Sport21

20th Oct 13 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the advice people, will lay off the left foot braking for now. lol.
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Oct 13 at 15:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
No need for all this fancy 100-20 hard braking stuff if you aren't elite.

Don't you have some colouring in to do?

I'm not sure whether the 100-20 stuff (or 60-5, 80-10, whatever - it doesn't matter so much as long as it's hard and you don't come to a stop) is just a shortcut to bedding in, or the only way to do it properly - but the idea is you're getting pad material onto the disc, as the pad compound is designed to "bite" better into itself.

I certainly noticed a huge improvement of initial bite when doing mine, they were "fine" before bedding in - the first hard stop was solid, and then 5 mins later my stopping distance was significantly shorter and the bite was much crisper.

I'm not sure whether this method is specific to track orientated pad compounds, but the improvement in bite is beneficial to any type of driving - so there's lots to gain by giving it a try.

As I said though, it could just be a shortcut to the effect you would get after a few hundred miles of normal driving/braking.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

20th Oct 13 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just don't see the point pretending to be a race driver on the road.

I'm also pretty sure you'll get pulled over if seen doing these brake tests and you won't get the easiest time from 99% of coppers.

I've never had a problem with new brakes and they work fine.

The colouring in is finished btw.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

20th Oct 13 at 15:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all depends on the pad you use. If you are using standard pads no need to do the elite bedding in process just take it slow for the first 50miles or so using normal braking.

Race/track pads do require some bedding in for them to work 100%
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Oct 13 at 15:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah you'd need to pick your time and place carefully.

Like I said, my brakes were "fine" before I did the bedding in, and afterwards they were "excellent" - so worth the effort IMO.

Whether they eventually would have reached that performance anyway just through normal driving, I'll never know to be fair.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Corsa_Sport21

20th Oct 13 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to need to strip the drivers side caliper off as it still looks like the pad is only making contact on about 1 inch of the disc, at the top. Lower half still has the score marks and ive done about 30 miles.
chris_uk
Premium Member

20th Oct 13 at 21:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i just put them in and drive normally tbh. never had an issue.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Bedding in new discs and pads.... 24 database queries in 0.0125079 seconds