corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » The Range of Insurances

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Range of Insurances
fred7

User status: Offline
21st Aug 13 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After moving into the house with buildings and contents ive been called by different "sister" company's for different insurances like drains and heating. Who do you use if you use any and which cover do you have? Im with swinton for buildings and contents and homeserve for drainage. Had critical/life insuance through bright grey as well.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

21st Aug 13 at 15:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You pay insurance for your drains :S
John

21st Aug 13 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got life which I grudge paying then buildings/contents.

Never been into this whole insuring everything thing. Especially every piece of furniture you buy. I expect stuff to break.

Other than the house, or my life, which would be a bit of a downer, I expect everything else to get damaged or fail at some point, that's what happens in life.
fred7

21st Aug 13 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont insure items when i buy them. The drains cover is £2 a month for the plumbing and drains. First time buyer so sort of covering everything if i can. VRS i hate paying for the life insurance as well alot of bloody money if you dont need it also if you hit hard times and have to cancel the payments never getting anything back!
Pop

21st Aug 13 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which insurer is your buildings & contents with via Swinton?

We have buildings & contents cover only.
dannymccann

21st Aug 13 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just gone for boiler cover from Npower through Top Cashback (£60 back and a free service included, so it almost pays for itself), but only because we've got a little one on the way in December and I really would rather not have the heating / water gone for an extended period of time.

We have life, buildings and contents (only basic though). Can't imagine you would need drain cover for at least first 2 years (you're in a newbuild right?) because you could just call the builder out to sort it, if they are half decent anyway.

Other than that no other products, certainly not on TV's, washing machine etc. It comes with at least a 2 year warranty anyway
Cavey

21st Aug 13 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know you got a new build like ours Danny, our boiler broke about 6 months ago, the guy we had round said it was a mongrel job that the builders had done on the cheap. Should be one type of boiler. But they modified it and changed it to an enclosed system or something. He reckons we'll need another in a few years as it'll fuck up. So would say that's definitely worth it.

(He's a family friend too, so don't think he's fucking us)
gazza808

22nd Aug 13 at 06:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An insurance advisor once told me...
'Insure your car because its the law, insure your house because its all you've got if something happens, and fuck everything else'
fred7

22nd Aug 13 at 07:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh mines a new build ive got a cool off period anyway so will cancel if its a waste of time.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

22nd Aug 13 at 10:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have a new build things should last for 3years anyway so i wouldnt bother with any other insurance apart from buildings and contents.
RichR
Premium Member

22nd Aug 13 at 10:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would you need buildings insurance on a new build? Assuming that you won't be making any modifications in the first few years anyway, surely the NHBC warranty would cover structural defects or the cost of rebuilding. Can you even get Contents insurance as a stand alone insurance policy?
John

22nd Aug 13 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

NHBC seems to be pretty worthless. I doubt the mortgage company would be happy if they knew either.
Robbo

22nd Aug 13 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes ofc you can get contents standalone how do you think renters do it?
RichR
Premium Member

22nd Aug 13 at 11:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never looked in to it in all honesty. Its so usual to hear the term 'Building and Contents' that I'd not considered it an option.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

22nd Aug 13 at 12:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'd want buildings as the NHBC wont cover a fire...
James

22nd Aug 13 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone owning a leasehold place would get contents only because the leaseholder should have the building insured.
Hammer

22nd Aug 13 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are numerous scenarios within which you wouldn't require joint Building and Content's.

New Poll