corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Which Media Box?!?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Which Media Box?!?
chrisd1983

User status: Offline
5th Aug 13 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm looking at getting a media box like a jailbroken Apple TV, so I can stream all the football and watch iPlayer etc.

Whats peoples recommendations?

Roku? Chromecast? Apple tv? Wifi enabled Blu Ray?

I like the idea of a jailbroken Apple tv as me and missus both have Apple devices already!

Cheers!

[Edited on 05-08-2013 by chrisd1983]
Dom

5th Aug 13 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Something XBMC based is probably (personal opinion) your best bet as you've got plugins like Navi-X and Veetle for live streams - although from my experience it's all a bit hit 'n' miss on that front.

If you do opt for an ATV then you'll need to go for a second-hand ATV2 (around £100-200+ off eBay) as there is, currently, no jailbreak support for ATV3.
Alternatively you could grab a Chinese special Android device (and use the XBMC app) or a Raspberry Pi with XBMC.

Roku's are reasonable devices but everything i've read and seen suggest it's a bit of a PITA for live streaming.
chrisd1983

5th Aug 13 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea cheers Dom, I've noticed the Apple TV2 have abit of a premium.

Its between one of those and a wifi enabled Blu Ray player, I want reliable connections more than anything.

noshua

5th Aug 13 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reliable? Put some cable down, if you can't, get some home plugs, much better than wireless.

Wouldn't say a BluRay player is any more reliable, for connection, than any other device.
chrisd1983

6th Aug 13 at 07:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Home plugs?

I just want a device I can use to watch anything on via streaming. Apple TV seems the best bet, but its pricey for a 2nd gen one!
noshua

6th Aug 13 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=home%20plug

They go over your electric wiring, then just plug in an Ethernet cable, much more stable than WiFi.

Could try an Android usb dongle (wifi only though), or a box with Ethernet;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/7dayshop-Android-Jellybean-Wireless-Internet/dp/B0081EBEIO

Pretty cheap. Install XBMC and then the plugins Dom mentioned above to stream the footy and play video
derick-sport

12th Aug 13 at 01:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I run xbmc on my galaxy tab and on a raspberry pi through my tv, bought a kit off ebay with keyboard and cables etc for 49.99

once you have what you need go to xbmchub.com and all the tutorials and plugins on there are very easy to follow

you want, Veetle and NaviX for streaming and Ice films and Divx plugins for all your films.

Never had a problem with mine streams hd media straight away with no interference and i have 8 mb broadband on a standard home router.

New Poll