corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Haynes Roadster - self built from scratch.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Haynes Roadster - self built from scratch.
Ste
Premium Member

User status: Offline
14th May 14 at 04:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So got the pedal box finished and painted. It is designed to take a Wilwood m/c for the clutch and the original mx5 brake m/c

I reached the big milestone of mounting the engine and gearbox.

Only problem so far is the alternator is right in the way of the steering shaft. My only real solution is to route the shaft under the alternator. Did think about swapping alternator to other side, but wanted the space round there for a turbo in the future.

So fabricated a bracket and mounted a bearing carrier the end result is solid.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
taylorboosh

20th May 14 at 07:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great update mate
Ste
Premium Member

15th Aug 14 at 23:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not updated this in ages, not because I've been doing nothing, just not bothered updating the build thread.

Got some body panels temp fitted to check clearances

Built a battery bay at the bottom of the passenger footwell. Also houses the ecu. accessed via a hinged panel in the engine bay (not shown)

Engine and box have come out to be cleaned up, painted and checked over with new seals etc.

This shows the de-oxidising gel removing the rust from the block. Awesome stuff and very very effective

Bought myself a zinc plating kit so have been restoring all sorts of parts then wrapping them up ready for final build later on.

Here's the plating tank

Nuts, bolts etc post plating and yellow/gold passivate

Hub carriers were done in clear passivate as were the alternator brackets and bolts

Also, stripped and rebuilt the rear prop shafts, and hubs which were all plated and look brand new again.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
boylers11

16th Aug 14 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good! I'm liking the attention to detail. Can you post up the spec of the plating kit please?
I'm rushing to get mine finished to use over autumn, then I'm tempted to rebuild it again, plating parts over the winter.
Keep the detailed updates coming please!
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

16th Aug 14 at 19:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome work!

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
Ste
Premium Member

17th Aug 14 at 11:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by boylers11
Looking good! I'm liking the attention to detail. Can you post up the spec of the plating kit please?
I'm rushing to get mine finished to use over autumn, then I'm tempted to rebuild it again, plating parts over the winter.
Keep the detailed updates coming please!

I used the 10 litre kit from here
http://gaterosplating.co.uk/Zinc-Plating-kit.php
and bought the acid pickle too.

Easy enough to do with a little patience. And if you fuck it up, it's easy to put it back in the acid to strip the zinc off and try again.

boylers11

17th Aug 14 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool, thanks. Can't believe how cheap that kit is! Think it'll be going on my birthday list, lol.
Have you got an estimated completion date?
boylers11

29th Nov 15 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's the latest on this or have I missed something?
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
30th Nov 15 at 01:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loads, come on loads since the last updates, I'll give Ste a poke to make a few posts.
Chris x

30th Nov 15 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Loads, come on loads since the last updates, I'll give Ste a poke to make a few posts.
Ste
Premium Member

3rd Dec 15 at 04:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Howdy

Been a long long time since I've updated this thread but a lot of work has gone on since the last update.

I've also had a baby and moved house in the mean time.

I've re-made my upper front wishbones to the book spec as the originals I made with camber adjusters built in but didn't like how they turned out.

Moving out my old garage:

New garage:

Car in there, temp wheels for moving it and dummy shocks

Bought my wheels, pro race 1.2 in satin black. 15"

Battery and ecu bay in front passenger footwell

Loads of time has been spent on the wiring loom, I've used the original mx5 loom but made loads of changes and mods to it.

Everything is working so far

LED side repeaters. Will need to be removed and repositioned in the front mudguard as they fail the IVA test as they are obscured from the rear by the rear indicator

Billet aluminium pedals from OBP with remote adjustment

Fog and reverse lights mounted to rear tub along with numberplate light

Had these seats made by intatrim in telford. GRP shells with padding in black vinyl. Really comfy and surprisingly light

Wilwood Ultralite 4 pots up front, rears are Audi S3 aluminium calipers, light and have a good handbrake function

[Edited on 03-12-2015 by Ste]

Steve
Premium Member

3rd Dec 15 at 08:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Deffo didn't build those brakes and wheels, bought imo
boylers11

3rd Dec 15 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great update, you've been cracking on! Congrats on the baby too. How do the remote adjusting pedals work?
Ste
Premium Member

3rd Dec 15 at 23:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See the two holes behind the brake pedal?

It has two master cylinders, one for front brakes, one rear. they are connected to the pedal by a bar with a bearing that can be moved side to side via a cable to the dash to adjust how much pressure the pedal acts on each cylinder.

boylers11

4th Dec 15 at 07:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh that's cool. Be be great being able to adjust it yourself. Mine has a bias bar, but it relies on the pressure left in the system to decide how much pressure to apply.
Have you got a completion date in mind?
Ste
Premium Member

4th Dec 15 at 22:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hopefully for the next summer, but depends how much time I can get on it.

Ste
Premium Member

29th Aug 17 at 22:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Passed IVA 2 weeks ago and here are a few pics of my finished Haynes.

It is using a 1.8 mx5 engine

Ste
Premium Member

29th Aug 17 at 22:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still not found a gear knob i like

Steve
Premium Member

30th Aug 17 at 06:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ford puma gearknob
3CorsaMeal

30th Aug 17 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have one for sale, freshly polished
Ste
Premium Member

30th Aug 17 at 14:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wrong thread pitch in the puma knob. Already tried one

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Haynes Roadster - self built from scratch. 25 database queries in 0.1695740 seconds