corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Considering selling DSLR for compact.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Considering selling DSLR for compact.
Robin
Premium Member

User status: Offline
15th May 13 at 09:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After going ok holiday and taking the camera out of the car a grand total of once, we've realised it's just too big and bulky for us to bother using.

So, what decent compact can I get to replace it?

The camera is a Canon EOS 1100D with a canon 18-55mm and a tamron 70-300mm, plus case, spare battery etc.

I want something which an take decent pictures but doesn't take up so much space.

[Edited on 15-05-2013 by Robin]
andy1868

15th May 13 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Without trying to sound like a prick, how much were you thinking of spending?

There's plenty of options for smaller cameras, from the compact system cameras like the Olympus PEN range for example, down to the more advanced compacts like the Canon G series/Fuji X10/20 sort of size, then there are the true compacts like the Canon S110 etc. It's just a case of deciding just how small you want to go with it
Robin
Premium Member

15th May 13 at 10:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably about £350 Andy I guess
Balling
Premium Member

15th May 13 at 10:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you want something with manual controls or something to just point and shoot?

I bought a Sony TX10 for a holiday a couple of years ago and have used it a hell of a lot more than my DSLR.
It's amazingly small, packed with easy to use intelligent features, water proof, impact resistant and delivers nice images.

The fact it's cheap, small and durable has made me bring it places I'd never consider taking any other camera.

Robin
Premium Member

15th May 13 at 10:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

X10 size would be spot on
Robin
Premium Member

15th May 13 at 10:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only time we've used the manual settings on the canon was when we did a basic photography course

It gets used in full auto, that's all.
Balling
Premium Member

15th May 13 at 10:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A few pics taken with my TX10. By no means a bad camera.

Balling
Premium Member

15th May 13 at 10:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
X10 size would be spot on
At that size you have a pretty wide choice of compact pro cameras and travel zooms.

Need to work out what type of photos you want to take.
Want to play around and be arty? Compact pro!
Want the most versatility possible? Travel zoom!

Robin
Premium Member

15th May 13 at 14:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Before the DSLR I had a Lumix DMC-LZ1 followed by a DMC-LX2.

They were both great.
baza31

15th May 13 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You was brave bring a camera in that paragliding thing . What if you had of ended in water? What are them tamron lenses like?
Balling
Premium Member

15th May 13 at 16:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
You was brave bring a camera in that paragliding thing . What if you had of ended in water?
Read my post above and you'll understand.

Balling
Premium Member

15th May 13 at 16:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
Before the DSLR I had a Lumix DMC-LZ1 followed by a DMC-LX2.

They were both great.
I do like the Panasonic compacts too. A few in the family have those. Real performers.

baza31

15th May 13 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by baza31
You was brave bring a camera in that paragliding thing . What if you had of ended in water?
Read my post above and you'll understand.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Considering selling DSLR for compact. 25 database queries in 0.0121770 seconds