corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Why / how do used lenses command such a premium?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Why / how do used lenses command such a premium?
corb

User status: Offline
11th May 13 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EF-50mm-f-1-4-USM-Lens-/271201102404?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item3f24d86a44

These are about £250 brand new, why do people pay so much for them as a second hand item? Its not restricted to just this model, others I've looked at seem to hold their value too.
Balling
Premium Member

11th May 13 at 08:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quality lenses hold their value as, if treated correctly, there's virtually no wear to them.

Why anyone would pay so close the retail price for a used item though, I don't know.

corb

11th May 13 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is what is confusing me so much, I just dont get it, 2months old and that lens has retained 96% of its value. You wouldnt pay £14400 for a 2month old second hand car if they're £15000 new!
Ian
Site Administrator

11th May 13 at 16:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I made money selling all of mine for that reason.

No idea why. Still a saving on new I suppose. Don't forget retail price for that is over £400 although I don't think anyone pays that when they're £270ish online.
3CorsaMeal

15th May 13 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never understood photography as a hobby. Its a bit like saying typing is your hobby.
BluKoo

17th May 13 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
Never understood photography as a hobby. Its a bit like saying typing is your hobby.

Really?

Photography can be so rewarding. Especially when you get a shot you're really proud of.
AndyKent

18th May 13 at 07:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I suspect its something to do with the regularity with which amateurs chop and change their kit. Look at loads of forums sale sections and the amount of gear going through them with absolutely minimal use is mind boggling.

Works well for everybody though. You can try stuff out, sell it on and almost break even.

Buy new gear at the right price, wait a bit and maybe cut a profit :-)
MarkSport

18th May 13 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got the 50mm f1.4 for my Nikon d5100. Very good lens and I bought it second hand for £180. Worth every penny as it came as new boxed with everything

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Why / how do used lenses command such a premium? 25 database queries in 0.0092959 seconds