corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » HDMI cable advice

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author HDMI cable advice
Chrissy
Premium Member

User status: Offline
11th May 13 at 08:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I'm still rocking the cheapest cables I could find on ebay for everything.

Poundland HDMI cables ftw

>>>> Chris <<<<

SXI - Matt

11th May 13 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richie
quote:
Originally posted by SXI - Matt
Surely if you hooked at £3 eBay job up against a £100 chord or the likes of that make cable there would be a difference. I use it for 3D ect I find it hard to believe there is no difference between the 2 at all. In fact I know having tried different ones there is certainly difference in sound quality you get from a cheap 1.

I know of people running £300+ cables for home theatre systems. There is a reason they don't have £3 eBay specials.

Again this is bullshit - the audio transmission over HDMI is digital as well - quality doesn't come into play there... the signal either gets there or it doesn't. If there were audio "issues" rather than quality - then it was more than likely a duff cable or a niggle elsewhere.

Why do people reel off such bull when it's quite evident they have no actual real world experience of this stuff. Are you someone that stands in Richer Sounds and lets some 19 year old kid talk drivel into you???

calm your self down darling, I don't have experience hence me asking the question!! Googling the subject brings up both sides so still doesn't really answear my question hence again the reason for asking on here as quite a few people are in to this stuff! Guess it comes down to the quality and durability then performance for the cabling.

Using a cheaper one would be easier as I need a 3/4 meter to run it through existing holes in the plaster board instead of cutting it in. (Cable is to short to run through the other ones due to the position of them all hence needing to cut it in for a direct route/shorter)
SXI - Matt

11th May 13 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I guess the cheap one was shit connection then as the audio was generally not that great as in noticeably shit, ill take the advice then and sling the chord on eBay and buy a longer cable, makes my life easier as haven't got to get some one in to plaster ect.
SXI - Matt

11th May 13 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm guessing the Ethernet side isn't needed either then? What is the purpose for it being built in as such to this cable?

Seems I have been swallowed into technical jargon when purchasing this wire although as said it was a fraction of the price as bought it with the TV but glad I have asked as now saves me a big job to hide it

[Edited on 11-05-2013 by SXI - Matt]
pow
Premium Member

11th May 13 at 08:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ethernet is once again digital and it just uses 2 more cores than a 1.3 cable.
Balling
Premium Member

11th May 13 at 08:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm guessing the Ethernet side isn't needed either then? What is the purpose for it being built in as such to this cable?
The idea behind adding ethernet to HDMI is that your AVR could essentially work as a router and provide LAN to all devices connected to it.

It's a standard that never seem to take off however and with WiFi so widely available in most AV hardware today, I don't see that it ever will.

SXI - Matt

11th May 13 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok so just a plain normal HDMI cable then ill order one in a sec thanks for all the advice saves me a lot of hassle
Richie

11th May 13 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to make sure it's 1.4b 3D compliant minimum too.
Balling
Premium Member

11th May 13 at 09:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
No.

John

11th May 13 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My cheap 1.3 cables manage 3D just fine.

I had cause to join a damaged cable before. All the reading I done on the internet gave lots of information about amazingly precise timings and how you couldn't join or terminate them reliably

I solder all 20 (that's a rough guess) conductors, same way as I would with anything else, worked fine.
Dom

11th May 13 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Ok so just a plain normal HDMI cable then ill order one in a sec thanks for all the advice saves me a lot of hassle

If it's a PITA to run cabling in the wall, then i would stick a few spare HDMI's in whilst you're at it in case of damages.
SXI - Matt

11th May 13 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wont have to cut it into the wall now as I can just buy a 3/4 meter cable and feed it through the 2 cabling holes already in the wall. The 2 meter wasn't long enough to thread in out and along to the TV and as the current cable I thought was so good I didn't want to buy a cheaper one, but now I know different I'll just buy a longer one

eckers90

11th May 13 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mate, ive always said if im gonna channel a wall for cables, im sticking 4 hdmis in, you never ever know what your gonna change or add in future, games consoles, dvds blah blah
John

11th May 13 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or just put trunking in.

If you've only got 1 cable you can always switch it at the other end with an AV amp or whatever.
Richie

11th May 13 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
No.

Really? My understanding was that 1.3/1.4a cannot do 1080p @ 120hz for decent 3D kit and glasses. May be wrong though.
jacko198

11th May 13 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by jacko198
(Usually use BNC cable anyway between truck and an Aja)

Isn't SDI a bit finicky about cabling though? I know over long lengths you can get issues, hence why you tend to use RG6 cables and run reclocking amps. Although i would have thought you guys would be using fibre for runs between truck and location/set?

Yeah it does depend on the length of the runs tbh. If it is long then we will use fibre with a bluebell on the end then bnc into the monitor.

Usually don't go over 100m with BNC with using amps that's about as far as you can go. We use image 360 and occasionally image 1000 for the longer runs. Will go fibre into a hub and then BNC on shorter runs from there.

[Edited on 11-05-2013 by jacko198]
Balling
Premium Member

11th May 13 at 14:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Really? My understanding was that 1.3/1.4a cannot do 1080p @ 120hz for decent 3D kit and glasses. May be wrong though.
The HDMI standar (1.3, 1.4 etc) refers to the standard supported by the equipment you are using. There's no 1.3 or 1.4 HDMI cable.

There used to be Standard and High Speed HDMI the former not being able to handle FullHD/1080p resolution. I don't think any cables of this type is in production any more and all HDMI cables today are thus "high speed".
I could be wrong and some stores will still have Standard HDMI in order to sell Monster High Speed Gold Plated Excelsior Imperior 1.4 3D Full HD HDMI cables at an inflated price.

In short there are two different types of HDMI cables. With or without ethernet.

Richie

11th May 13 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for that clarification. Never looked into the cable side of it that much - just always made sure the standard was referenced when buying the cable.

Seems a lot of the longer non branded cables don't have high speed stated whereas the shorter variants have it plastered as a massive selling point.
Richie

11th May 13 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And for anyone else who wants to read what I just did - http://www.thatcable.com/info/hdmi-faqs-differences-between-hdmi
Rob_Quads

11th May 13 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another prime example of why the cable can't make the picture look better is HDCP.

i.e. your Skybox to TV - the picture is sent in 'chunks' of data. if ANY of the chunk is not received it first tries error correction on it. If that then fails you loose the WHOLE chunk of data i.e. you have no picture at all, nothing, nada.

If the chunk does get received OK then you have your picture - the whole lot as it was originally sent. You either get it or you don't. Nothing about the cable can affect the data sent in the cable.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll