corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Product photography

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Product photography
BluKoo

User status: Offline
2nd May 13 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got my first product photography job on Monday, so i've been playing about tonight.

Here are a couple i'm quite happy with

IMG_0215b by Murray 1986, on Flickr

IMG_0212 by Murray 1986, on Flickr

Here's a quick shot of the set up.

[Edited on 02-05-2013 by BluKoo]
will_ainsworth

3rd May 13 at 00:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks good, but make sure its dead straight (the labels etc) is the background done in post then? for shiny bottles you can buy spray that frosts the glass so you get a better end result kinda takes out the distracting reflections... guessing not but could a cpl filter help?
SXI - Matt

3rd May 13 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Excellent pics as normal, wish I could stop being lazy and pic up my D90 and start practising. Haven't used it more then a handful of times which is frustrating.

The top one not having the label straight is really annoying Although didn't notice it straight away until will mentioned it still cracking pics to the untrained eye
BluKoo

3rd May 13 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by will_ainsworth
looks good, but make sure its dead straight (the labels etc) is the background done in post then? for shiny bottles you can buy spray that frosts the glass so you get a better end result kinda takes out the distracting reflections... guessing not but could a cpl filter help?

Yeah, as soon as I got the pic onto the computer I noticed the bottle wasn't positioned correctly, but as it was just a practice shot I wasn't too bothered about a detail like that for now.
I don't think a cpl would help, but I might give it a shot to see.

The background comes from a spray bottle and the mist is backlit with a flash which sits behind the bottle. All done in one shot.

quote:
Originally posted by SXI - Matt
Excellent pics as normal, wish I could stop being lazy and pic up my D90 and start practising. Haven't used it more then a handful of times which is frustrating.

The top one not having the label straight is really annoying Although didn't notice it straight away until will mentioned it still cracking pics to the untrained eye

Thanks. If you want to learn more about photography, the best thing you can do is just pick it up, and start messing about with things.
I'm 100% self taught. No college/uni or anything. Just trial, error, youtube and forums.
Balling
Premium Member

3rd May 13 at 10:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really like that background effect. Suits the purpose very well.

A few notes:

I think you could achieve some better reflections in the dark bottle. I don't like spotting the camera equipment. The red dot (from the flash behind the subject perhaps?) annoys my eye.
Check out the beautiful soft reflections in a shot like this:
http://www.whisky.dk/images/ron_zacapa_23_solera_700-p.jpg

While I like the background effect, I dislike that you've mirrored it for each shot. If you need to fill it out in post, clone something from a different photo.
The bottom one especially looks a bit like a blot-test with the obvious mirroring.

If you insist on having the reflection I think a black surface would work better than the mirror, to achieve a more toned down look. Personally I'd also prefer a slightly diffused reflection, but I guess that's a matter of taste.

Whittie

3rd May 13 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Horrible background, yes its for a purpose, I just don't like it.

Also can see reflections as pointed out by Alex, shouldn't be able to.

Reflections underneath look naff, and labels aren't straight.

However, very clear images, and certainly the correct settings used! Just trail and error.
Whittie

3rd May 13 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Second one "ideal" is soft. Where was your focus point out of interest? Or all over.
Whittie

3rd May 13 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Btw, i'm not trying to come accross a cunt, if I am, not meaning to.
BluKoo

3rd May 13 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The camera equipment isn't visible in the bottle. I'm not entirely sure what the disruption in the highlights are.
The red dot it actually the red liquid inside being lit up. If I took the bottle away, the flash wouldn't be visible in the shot.
I have a funny feeling that is a frosted finish on that bottle. Or maybe just a frosted label. I'm not sure how to achieve that effect otherwise. Even when shooting with my 80x120 softbox the reflection still appears sharper than that.

I appreciate what you say about the mirroring, but I like it that way. The bottle is central to the shot, therefore I feel I should keep a sense of symmetry.
I don't have anything black and reflective, so I just stole a pane of glass from a shelf in my house.
I guess I could diffuse and reduce the reflection in photoshop if necessary.
BluKoo

3rd May 13 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
Horrible background, yes its for a purpose, I just don't like it.

Also can see reflections as pointed out by Alex, shouldn't be able to.

Reflections underneath look naff, and labels aren't straight.

However, very clear images, and certainly the correct settings used! Just trail and error.

I'm going to set up again and double check what those reflections are. Due to the positioning and the distance (in my mind) its almost impossible that they are the reflections of the tripod or anything like that.

quote:
Second one "ideal" is soft. Where was your focus point out of interest? Or all over.

The whole image is a little soft. After I took the shot of the top bottle I just swapped the bottles over and didn't bother refocusing as I wasn't bothered about perfection in that shot. I just wanted to see how it looked through a clear bottle.

quote:
Btw, i'm not trying to come accross a cunt, if I am, not meaning to.

Don't worry, I know you're not. It's hard to give good honest criticism without sounding like a cunt at times
Whittie

3rd May 13 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll always get reflections, almost impossible not to, just a bit of cloning sorts that out.

I've got a shiny suit of armour in a light tent at the minute, that is a bitch, to say the least

BluKoo

3rd May 13 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm totally rearranging my set up. I'm actually using my large black background behind myself and the camera because the camera was picking up the cream coloured wall behind me.
I'm also going to use some black card to try and cut out and reflections from the roof.
Thank god I got a few arms and clamps with my rig, as this is a tricky set up to make lol.
Results will follow shortly...
BluKoo

3rd May 13 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's a shot from the revised set up...

IMG_0247b by Murray 1986, on Flickr
BluKoo

3rd May 13 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And the set up for that shot...

Whittie

3rd May 13 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1 Million times better! Great Shot mate.
BluKoo

3rd May 13 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers
BluKoo

3rd May 13 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMG_0264 by Murray 1986, on Flickr
Balling
Premium Member

3rd May 13 at 18:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surface reflection is much better now. Really liking it this way.

Reflections in the bottle are better too, but I think they should be toned down quite a bit. Too much contrast.

Not a fan of that last one at all, though. Way to messy.

Rob E

5th May 13 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Last one for me, the background adds so much more impact to the bottle
Gaz

5th May 13 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you need a light to draw that heavy black shadow out from the front of the bottle, it find it distracting somehow.
I do like the idea of the mist but you need to make sure the whole background is covered, the top left of your shot is lacking coverage.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Product photography 25 database queries in 0.1881549 seconds