corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » DSLR Lens Manufacturers

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author DSLR Lens Manufacturers
corb

User status: Offline
19th Apr 13 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there much difference in Lens quality between something like say, Tamron, Sigma, Canon..... If they offer a lens with similar properties to each other?
andy1868

19th Apr 13 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes i'm pretty sure alot of people would say there is alot of difference i'm afraid, this is "normally" mirrored in the price. An expensive Sigma is likely to be better than a lower end Nikon/Canon for example. People tend to say the manufacturer's own lens are better quality than the 3rd party ones but there are plenty of exceptions to that rule.

I've found the best way is to research thoroughly each piece of kit you're wanting and make an informed decision from there.

Which lenses were you looking at?
corb

19th Apr 13 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm all over the place tbh! A lens which would drop down to f1.2 with a focal length of 15 - 400mm would be ideal
corb

19th Apr 13 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and a decent mortgage advisor to help me fund it
andy1868

19th Apr 13 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

might need a gym membership too, that would weigh a frigging tonne
Cavey

19th Apr 13 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've taken some great pictures with my Tamron 70-300, that cost 120, obviously there is better, but for the price its great.

As said, money talks
andy1868

19th Apr 13 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i probably should have put that in my answer too, just because something is cheaper doesn't make it a bad lens, just because there is a bigger badder brother doesn't therefore make it shite. Buy the best you can afford, skill goes further than expensive equipment. A bland photo taken with a £4000 camera is the same as a bland photo taken with a £300 camera.

Obviously you need more expensive gear if you need more expensive gear, you can't shoot a bird 150 yards away with am 18-55mm lens with all the will in the world
corb

19th Apr 13 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

More thinking about stuff like Le Mans night shots which I WILL! get round to one day.

But the other night I was playing around taking pics of me and some mates (well, not of myself - that wouldve been tricky) playing badminton indoors. The lighting was poor, the action relatively fast and a kit lens at f4.5 at best. Alls I could manage was taking the ISO up high and getting plenty of noise on the image
Rob E

21st Apr 13 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I upgraded my kit lens to a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non VC and its unbelievably sharp for the price. I think I paid about £350 new for it. They can be picked up used for around the £180 mark

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ is a brilliant site for comparing lenses for image quality etc
Balling
Premium Member

22nd Apr 13 at 09:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corb
Is there much difference in Lens quality between something like say, Tamron, Sigma, Canon..... If they offer a lens with similar properties to each other?
No, not much at all.

Usually one has a slight advantage over the other and you'll need to read reviews to find out which.

There's a lot of brand snobbery in photography though, so be prepared to defend choosing a third party lens.

As said, third party lenses drop in resale value, so there's usually some good second hand deals to be made.

whitter45

22nd Apr 13 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by corb
No, not much at all.

Usually one has a slight advantage over the other and you'll need to read reviews to find out which.

There's a lot of brand snobbery in photography though, so be prepared to defend choosing a third party lens.

As said, third party lenses drop in resale value, so there's usually some good second hand deals to be made.

this

It will depend what lens you are looking at - i.e wide angle, zoom etc as each type has preferred makers

What I find is that the likes of Nikon and Canon are normally the best but the difference in price is sometimes hard to justify

People want to say they have such a lens and do not use it to the potential or often enough to warrant having it
ed

24th Apr 13 at 07:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The best thing to do is check the reviews of the lens you're looking at. With the Tameron zoom lens I've got, there are some very slight imperfections (I can't remember the correct term for what happens) right at the edge of the photos you take with it and the only reason I know they're there is because of a review comparing it with a Nikon equivalent. For me it didn't matter and in reality I don't notice it.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » DSLR Lens Manufacturers 25 database queries in 0.0141990 seconds